Is Windows 8 the nightmare I've heard it might be?

Wolvenreign

Transhuman Satanist Furry Technocrat
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was just wondering if Windows 8 was as bad as I heard it could be, with tightly controlled installations from the app store and the like. (Could be wrong about this.)

Just curious.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Just like with Vista, most of the ideas they were tossing around originally died well before the system came out.

The biggest gripe people have is the UI being worse for desktop use. Being NT 6.2, it's pretty much just 7 with some extra back-end work (thus the kernel bump) and a different UI.

Reactions: The Catboy

pinesal

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I find Windows 8 to be quite awesome actually. I have it hooked up to a big screen tv and the new UI works perfectly for it. I think its the best version of Windows I've ever use.

D

Deleted User

People that hate on it exaggerate way too much.
Once you get used to the way it works, it's awesome.

For some people, the main issue is no start menu.
If that's the problem, go get Start8 or Pokki or something.

In my opinion, it does take some time to get used to and to like, but once it's been figured out, it's the shit.

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Even as a person who dislikes Windows 8 I wouldn't go as far as to say it's a nightmare. Some of the new GUI functionality makes little to no sense in a non-touch environment and metro along with the classical desktop makes the whole experience seem rather schizophrenic in my opinion. For it to be a nightmare however I'd expect much more negative changes would be needed.

Reactions: porkiewpyne

RodrigoDavy

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
It's just horrible for using with my laptop's touchpad. One could say that I can just buy a usb mouse, but it doesn't help when I have to take my laptop to other places

EDIT: And it's really hard to pirate. I'm not gonna pay for yet another Windows license, when I've bought many computers that came bundled with Windows when I use mostly Linux

Costello

Headmaster
Administrator
Trophies
XP
I've used it for about two days as I played around with it on my brother's laptop.
On the first day I thought it was horrible because I was annoyed by the UI changes.
On the second day I started to get used to it and thought it wasn't too bad.

There are still things that I hate, for example the fact that you can't link to Metro apps from the desktop (at least not easily). Couldn't even pin Skype to the taskbar!! urgh...

dickfour

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'll stick with 7. The only thing about 8 that really interests me is the arm support. A UMPC for gaming or that can be used with productivity software would be useful to me

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been using Windows 8 for a few months now, and it's alright. Nothing bothers me, but there's nothing special about it either.

Interestingly, I installed StartIsBack the other day and don't even use the Start button anymore.

Garro

Pendulum of souls!
Trophies
Website
garrothedog.tumblr.com
XP
Country
Chile
I have been using it since the release, and had used the release preview some time ago. I don't see why people complain that much. I find it nicer style-wise. And I preffer the UI over Windows 7. I actually like Metro more than the Start Menu. The only downside is that Intel won't release the drivers that I need for W8.

loco365

Trophies
XP
I've used it myself, but it's not bad. Using it on a non-touchscreen device, it sucks. However, if you have a tablet or some kind of touchscreen you can use it on, it's much better.

YayMii

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The whole "locked down" thing is referring to Windows RT, which is the version that runs on ARM-powered tablets. Windows 8 has no such restrictions.

air2004

Air
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
People that hate on it exaggerate way too much.
Once you get used to the way it works, it's awesome.
Thats like saying ...... If your hetrosexual once you get used to sucking dick you love it.

Windows 8 is horrible , the UI blows , and the charms are stupid . MS should have put in an option for desktop users . I would almost equate 8 with vista , wait till windows 9 . likes those that waited for 7.

Sop

groovy dude lmao
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
lol y
Thats like saying ...... If your hetrosexual once you get used to sucking dick you love it.

Windows 8 is horrible , the UI blows , and the charms are stupid . MS should have put in an option for desktop users . I would almost equate 8 with vista , wait till windows 9 . likes those that waited for 7.
lol you expect MS to go back?

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
It's not horrible, the whole metro GUI paradigm just has no place on a full computer, its a tablet GUI forced onto computers so that microsoft can have a 'unified experience' across their platforms in an effort to head off apple.

If you don't mind lowering your productivity then its fine, but why anyone would WANT a non windowed GUI (fullscreen apps) and annoying live tiles on a computer when its replacing the functionality of a simple list of programs/options (start menu)? The start menu fits into the existing desktop paradigm well, metro is just forcing you out of one into another for no real benefit (to users, Microsoft sees the benefit to itself).

Serious/Factual: http://www.useit.com/alertbox/windows-8.html
More lighthearted: http://cdn.mactrast.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/Windows-Evolution.jpg

Edit: I should say that for me, an OS should allow me to load the programs I want and otherwise stay out of my hair. If you prefer new/shiny over efficiently performing the tasks you wish to do then perhaps there is a benefit to the Win8 GUI.

marcus134

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
tightly controlled installations from the app store
I'll stick with 7. The only thing about 8 that really interests me is the arm support. A UMPC for gaming or that can be used with productivity software would be useful to me

those statements are win 8 vs win 8 RT confusion.

Win 8 is your standard windows that works on x86 computer (your usual tower and laptop comp.) with metro slapped onto it and with the start menu removed, but everything else works pretty much the same way and you can install stuff from various software vendor and do everything you used to do on win 7.

Win 8 RT however is different, it's a locked down os designed for ARM devices (think IOS), it doesn't accept software coming from other sources than Microsoft apps store (like the apple apps store on ios).

It also means that software designed for win 8 won't work on win 8 rt and vice versa (with the exception of html, java, flash and cli based software).
Secondly, not all tablet comes with win 8 rt, only the arm ones since the os is exclusively designed for the arm architecture, X86 tablets are also on the market and they come with the full blown os.

does it let you edit the files association types (extensions) like in XP?
because win7 doesn't let you do it
win7 doesn't let you do that?
method 1.jpg

Curious I swear I can do it as easily as I used to do it in xp or me or 98 or 95 or 3.1 or ... well it's actually easier than dos though.

Maybe you should try this way:
method 2.jpg

Reactions: Psionic Roshambo

zygie

Trophies
XP
Country
does it let you edit the files association types (extensions) like in XP?
because win7 doesn't let you do it
Your problem's solved by either what marcus134 said (editing file extensions, you may want it to be easier by un-hiding file extensions via folder settings) or if it's editing file associations, you can do it via the properties of the file itself or Control Panel -> Default Programs -> Associate a file type or protocol with a program.

On Windows 8:

When I was making my new PC the store only had Windows 8. When I thought about it, the only time I use the Start Menu is for shutting down my computer, so I just went ahead and bought it. Its speed is a welcome addition to my lower end hardware and I've had no problems installing whatever I wanted in it, legit and pirated programs alike.

That said, YMMV, I never use the Metro Start Screen nor do I have a need for a Start Menu, so I only have positive views on Windows 8. Personally I'd say good riddance to the Start Menu, I never look for programs from there, I don't even install shortcuts there if the installation gave me a choice, and if it didn't, I delete it shortly afterwards anyway.

I wouldn't say I like it over 7, I wouldn't say I like 7 over 8 either.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZbUuSmFgMo