GPU on motherboard support (Please help)

Astrex

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I’ve already bought this,

Window 11 Pro Optiplex Core i5 Series Desktop Small Form Desktop Tower PC (Intel Quad Core I5 4570, 8 Gb Ram, 120 SSD)​

(I have also ordered RAM for this to put it up to 16GB)

I was wondering if the GTX 570 I ordered is going to fit and work in this. Please tell me it does because I’m only 16 and had a very tight budget on what all I could get.

Reply with support if you can.

Thanks,

Astrex

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If your power supply not able to supply enough power then no, but first thing first if you got a full size card then obviously no if you got a sff pc.
Could it fit if I just left the case open?
Post automatically merged:

The case is a apparently a ‘mini tower’

Fien

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
If it's a Dell Optiplex 3020 SFF then it's not only as simple as buying a bigger case.

The mainboard of the Optiplex 3020 maybe will fit into a ATX case (I'm not sure if the mounting holes are at ATX positions based on pictures), but the board has proprietary connectors for things like power supply and front panel. And the Dell power supply is not a ATX sized one.

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you, so there should be no issues, just need a bigger case. Thanks!

I don't mean case, you should get a full size tower pc instead, SFF have problem with it air ventilation, and you can't put a full size card. If you really want Dell 3020 the left is what you really should go for instead of the SFF on the right.

1710945826819.png
1710945836972.png

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I don't mean case, you should get a full size tower pc instead, SFF have problem with it air ventilation, and you can't put a full size card. If you really want Dell 3020 the left is what you really should go for instead of the SFF on the right.

View attachment 426808View attachment 426809
Ventilation is usually always a problem with prebuilt business PCs, they have few fans and no extra ventilation slots to mount extra fans. SFF might be worse for that but in general they just aren't made for gaming grade components.

Also, I don't know if it's the case for this one, but they often use non standard PSU, and non standard motherboard mounting holes or dimensions, so you can't upgrade the PSU (because it would also require upgrading the motherboard due to non standard plugs, which you can't do, or because the PSU form factor is non standard), so it limits the components you can put in it anyway to stay within the PSU rating.

It's possible to put a GPU into one of the SFF ones, with usable thermals, and staying within the PSU limits. It's probably easier to do it with a full sized one since the components are slightly more standardized and upgradable. But I've seen people do it successfully with both. And there is something cool about a sleeper build in a SFF business PC even if it is limiting.
Thank you, so there should be no issues, just need a bigger case. Thanks!
That is not likely to work because Dell uses a lot of proprietary non standard parts. Non standard plugs for PSU, non standard form factor for PSU and motherboard, etc. You can't expect to put them into a normal case without drilling a lot of holes and potentially cutting holes to make things fit. And there is no reason to because the entire appeal of these used business towers is that they are dirt cheap and often only require a GPU to become a decent gaming PC for dirt cheap, and replacing the case makes it no longer dirt cheap. The more things you have to replace or upgrade, the more you should have just built something from scratch out of used parts or gotten an older used gaming PC and upgraded the GPU in it.

Reactions: Astrex

Latiodile

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
judging by the information i've seen in the replies, a GTX 570 isn't going to work, the 400 and 500 series nvidia cards took up a ton of power and generated a lot of heat, and since you have a low profile case, it won't fit, low profile cases tend to skimp extremely hard on power supplies and the most i've seen is 250W which is way too little for any card that requires a decent amount of power
dell is also pretty notorious at including proprietary motherboards and power supplies so you might not be able to *just* swap it out into a bigger case. if you're particularly unlucky the PCIE slot could also be power limited and/or hardware whitelisted(lenovo does this, i have a board that doesn't accept nvidia cards) at that point you pretty much have no other option than to get a whole new pc

you'd want to be looking for something like a radeon RX 6400/6500, rx 5500, RX 550, or a GTX 750 ti since that's equally as powerful, if not more powerful , can be found for cheap and can basically be run on any system, low profile versions are very rare though and might cost way more

you should also """downgrade""" upgrade from windows 11 to windows 10, since windows 11 isn't properly supported on your hardware and you'll just come across even more issues

Reactions: Astrex and splaca

Fien

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
A GTX 1050 Ti should fit too. I've a MSI low profile one in a Optiplex 9020 SFF which is very similar to the 3020 SFF. And previously there was a GTX 750 Ti in it.

Reactions: splaca and Astrex

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto