Hardware Is there any way to mod a regular nintendo switch with an OLED modchip?

Mustigusti

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Unfortunately I made the mistake of buying an OLED modchip even though I only own a regular one (not software hackable except through caffeine). They arent that expensive I could easily just buy the correct one and wait for it to come but the shipping is just excruciatingly long. 5 long weeks... So I'm asking if its even theoretically possible to use an OLED chip here without bricking my system. The CPU-cables I can buy, they dont take as long.

I'm thankful for any answers and sorry if I broke any rules this is my first time making a thread in this forum.

Mustigusti

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I found this picture below named OLED on V2. If I follow this exact schematic it should work right?
Post automatically merged:

This should work also:

Attachments

• OLED-on-V2-Diagram-Version-2.jpg
    OLED-on-V2-Diagram-Version-2.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 32
  • OLED-on-V2.jpg
    OLED-on-V2.jpg
    988.5 KB · Views: 28

zamastyle

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The diagrams look accurate. The only thing to keep in mind is that your chip may have points in a different order than what you see here. Make sure to connect
CMD to the A point
RST to B
DAT0 to C
CLK to D

The oled cpu ribbon will work on a v2 so install that portion like normal.

Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Korea, North
When you say "regular" Switch, what is the model number. If it was manufactured before summer of 2018 you can use the RCM exploit while you wait for a OLED to Core chip conversion kit to be mailed out.

Also FWIW Caffeine won't work unless you are on a very old firmware.

Reactions: Mustigusti

Mustigusti

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Should work as long you wired it correctly.
I opened it up and tried to connect the CPU cables with the CPU but I realized it's just not possible. The cable is supposed to be laid onto the CPU with capacitors going through the holes of the cable so you can solder it easily. But now the plastic of the cable sits on top of the capacitor. Also on the regular core switch the poles of the capacitors that need to be soldered are positioned vertically while the pads of the modchip are positioned horizontally. I could technically solve this issue by laying cables from the capacitors to the pads. But I don't trust my experience in soldering with that. I don't even have a microscope so that would just be annoying and I would prob brick it.

Thanks for the help, I will just buy the correct mod chip. I even found one that arrives 2-3 weeks from now

When you say "regular" Switch, what is the model number. If it was manufactured before summer of 2018 you can use the RCM exploit while you wait for a OLED to Core chip conversion kit to be mailed out.

Also FWIW Caffeine won't work unless you are on a very old firmware.
Yea my switch is patched I already looked it up. RCM exploit doesn't work with me unfortunately. I even set up the RCM exploit for my cousins switch and now he can play TOTK while I wither away waiting for my order from China

Last edited by Mustigusti,
Reactions: CompSciOrBust

zamastyle

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I opened it up and tried to connect the CPU cables with the CPU but I realized it's just not possible. The cable is supposed to be laid onto the CPU with capacitors going through the holes of the cable so you can solder it easily. But now the plastic of the cable sits on top of the capacitor. Also on the regular core switch the poles of the capacitors that need to be soldered are positioned vertically while the pads of the modchip are positioned horizontally. I could technically solve this issue by laying cables from the capacitors to the pads. But I don't trust my experience in soldering with that. I don't even have a microscope so that would just be annoying and I would prob brick it.

Thanks for the help, I will just buy the correct mod chip. I even found one that arrives 2-3 weeks from now

The only way the cpu ribbon wont match your cpu is if you have a v1 switch. I have attached pics of the oled and v2 versions side by side and overlaid on top of each other so you can see that they are the same layout. If the oled cpu cable wont work on your switch then you have a v1 switch and you need a v1 ribbon.

Attachments

• 20231115_154341.jpg
    20231115_154341.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 26
  • 20231115_154408.jpg
    20231115_154408.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 25

Mustigusti

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The diagrams look accurate. The only thing to keep in mind is that your chip may have points in a different order than what you see here. Make sure to connect
CMD to the A point
RST to B
DAT0 to C
CLK to D

The oled cpu ribbon will work on a v2 so install that portion like normal.
Is the ribbon actually compatible? I just gave up on it because I thought they weren't. The orientation of the capacitor is wrong. Also, no matter how I move it, I can't make the ribbon cable fall on top of the capacitor that needs to be soldered. Here the comparison:

Attachments

• oled to core chip comparison.png
    oled to core chip comparison.png
    599.5 KB · Views: 20

zamastyle

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is the ribbon actually compatible? I just gave up on it because I thought they weren't. The orientation of the capacitor is wrong. Also, no matter how I move it, I can't make the ribbon cable fall on top of the capacitor that needs to be soldered. Here the comparison:
If you have a v1 switch, then no, the oled ribbon will not work the way it is supposed to. You can tell if you have a v1 because it will have a diagonal cap in the top left corner. Other models have no diagonal caps.

Mustigusti

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
If you have a v1 switch, then no, the oled ribbon will not work the way it is supposed to. You can tell if you have a v1 because it will have a diagonal cap in the top left corner. Other models have no diagonal caps.
My switch is patched. My serial number is: XAJ40068734769. The problem I'm having is that the solder point of the ribbon cable is not compatible with my current switch. I would have to lay cable or do something overly complicated im not experienced enough with. If you have a video or something making the ribbon cable compatible with my current switch please share

The only way the cpu ribbon wont match your cpu is if you have a v1 switch. I have attached pics of the oled and v2 versions side by side and overlaid on top of each other so you can see that they are the same layout. If the oled cpu cable wont work on your switch then you have a v1 switch and you need a v1 ribbon.
You're right. The cables are identical. And I also looked at the model number and you were also correct about my switch being V1. I thought having a patched switch automatically equates to having a V2 switch but somehow I'm wrong. I thought the reason they did a V2 is because they found an exploit?

Attachments

• IMG_5793.jpg
    IMG_5793.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 23
  • Screenshot 2023-11-15 235405.png
    Screenshot 2023-11-15 235405.png
    18.7 KB · Views: 23
Last edited by Mustigusti,

Mustigusti

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Thanks everyone for helping me out. I ended up buying a modchip for the V1 model because my current chip is not compatible with the v1.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I did use a bot for Diablo III though but no ban there lol