Switch OLED Screen not working after picofly

willthiswork_89

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys kind of stumped on this, ive done 12 OLED switches with zero issues. I started on this one like every other and the install of the chip went fine, turned it on i see the green light and flip it over to verify the "No SD Card" logo and....screen is black. Reseated the cable several times for the screen, cleaned it with alcohol. All pressure tabs are in tact. Finally removed the modchip to see if it would boot regular and it does boot, touching the screen i can hear the "tick tick tick" noises once its booted to the homescreen but the screen stays black.

I dont even know where to begin looking at this. Nothing seems out of whack and there were no complications at all during install.

Any insight would be helpful!

Myst0gan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well... If you knock off the 47k resistor near the cmd one, the screen turns purple, so I would start looking in that area (if the connector and flex cable are fine), if a connection or components are missing. Most of the components in that area should be related to the screen.

Reactions: willthiswork_89

willthiswork_89

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I swapped boards , put another oled switch board into this body and the screen works so it’s 100% something on the motherboard. I’m absolutely stumped. I’ve taken the chip out and I’m snapping pictures now. I see absolutely nothing missing or damaged. Even after removal everything is pretty damn clean

Attachments

• IMG_1614.jpeg
    IMG_1614.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 26
  • IMG_1615.jpeg
    IMG_1615.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 28

willthiswork_89

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yes i just spent the last hour comparing my board to @sthetix diagrams. I see absolutely nothing dislodged. At this point my only remaining theory is that i perhaps had the battery connected when i started to disconnect the ribbon cable and blew or hurt something in one of the chips. I honestly have no clue. Super frustrating

Myst0gan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yes i just spent the last hour comparing my board to @sthetix diagrams. I see absolutely nothing dislodged. At this point my only remaining theory is that i perhaps had the battery connected when i started to disconnect the ribbon cable and blew or hurt something in one of the chips. I honestly have no clue. Super frustrating
I doubt that, if the battery were connected, the display will be the first one to say goodbye (electronic repair school on yt has an old video explaining why, he does it with a laptop screen). Which diagrams??

I still think that a trace is broken or some missing resistor 🤔

willthiswork_89

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I doubt that, if the battery were connected, the display will be the first one to say goodbye (electronic repair school on yt has an old video explaining why, he does it with a laptop screen). Which diagrams??

https://github.com/sthetix/DIAGRAM/blob/main/OLED-DIAGRAM-CHIP-OLED.jpg
Post automatically merged:

I mean I’m sure you are right, I just cannot see anything wrong anywhere. I’ve looked at this thing under a microscope for literally hours at this point lmao, it’s driving me insane. I’m about to throw on the towel.

Reactions: Myst0gan

willthiswork_89

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No image is usually due to a damaged LCD connector.
Under a microscope, verify that each pin is looking good.

Next step is to compare diode readings on the LCD connector.
https://gbatemp.net/threads/nintendo-switch-oled-no-display-on-handheld-mode.643956/post-10302865
Pins look fine to me I’ll upload a picture in a bit
Post automatically merged:

I see maybe something going on roughly in the middle of this connector but I’m not positive it’s actually an issue. I looked at a “working” connector and it also has one of those spaces.

Edit: after looking at this image longer I think that actually is the issue. Somehow that middle pin got damaged. No idea how that’s possible but that’s what it appears to be. Replacing this connector looks like a monumental task.

Attachments

• IMG_1619.jpeg
    IMG_1619.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 31
Last edited by willthiswork_89,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I did use a bot for Diablo III though but no ban there lol