is there any new update?

fvig2001

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
Is it safe with haxchi to update? I usually ended up auto updating without a choice as soon as I turn on the Wii U on wii u mode (Usually go straight to Wii)

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Hi godreborn, sorry I didn't double check properly, when I disabled autoboot and went into system settings to update it said Your console is up to date and I assumed it automatically updated me to 5.5.6, but when I checked my system settings without skimming through it I saw it was still 5.5.5E. I've tapped the system update button 3-4 times now and there isn't any 5.5.6 update for Wii U, my Wii U is Europe and I'm in Australia and I don't think the update is for all regions. Please help me, also can anyone confirm if Europe consoles will get the update too?

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi godreborn, sorry I didn't double check properly, when I disabled autoboot and went into system settings to update it said Your console is up to date and I assumed it automatically updated me to 5.5.6, but when I checked my system settings without skimming through it I saw it was still 5.5.5E. I've tapped the system update button 3-4 times now and there isn't any 5.5.6 update for Wii U, my Wii U is Europe and I'm in Australia and I don't think the update is for all regions. Please help me, also can anyone confirm if Europe consoles will get the update too?
Turn off the console, turn it back on, and test if mii maker opens hbl. It sounds like it's still autobooting

NinStar

Ny'hrarr ♂
Trophies
Website
ninstar.carrd.co
XP
Country
Brazil

GaryOderNichts

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
5.5.6 is USA only

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Look in @MikaDubbz thread. Be careful as it can brick. If you have tiramisu, it will save you if that happens. It's just ftp, but I think there's now an installer which is safer.
Yes use the installer is my advice,

And anyone that saw my message earlier, just disregard, you can safely reinstall your custom wara wara plaza through FTP in 5.5.6 without issue.

Last edited by MikaDubbz,
Reactions: godreborn
Trophies
XP
which makes me very wary of what would happen if someone tried to do a permanent custom Wara Wara Plaza with the files provided in that thread in 5.5.6. I fear it may lead to a brick.
Then again as stated before, if you take proper precautions like making backups and having cold-boot ready this shouldn't be too much of an issue in the case of a brick.

Imo the real problem would be if the structure of the Wara Wara Plaza was changed on a base level. The best way to test this is to take a 5.5.6's xml and cross reference it with an original backup. I would hate to see if the entire process was changed, it would mean having to completely re-learn how it works, and starting from square one is always a pain..

Edit: didn't see your edit, might just be me speculating then lol. If I'm wrong disregard the post.

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Then again as stated before, if you take proper precautions like making backups and having cold-boot ready this shouldn't be too much of an issue in the case of a brick.

Imo the real problem would be if the structure of the Wara Wara Plaza was changed on a base level. The best way to test this is to take a 5.5.6's xml and cross reference it with an original backup. I would hate to see if the entire process was changed, it would mean having to completely re-learn how it works, and starting from square one is always a pain..

Edit: didn't see your edit, might just be me speculating then lol. If I'm wrong disregard the post.

Yeah I was completely wrong, it's totally safe to reinstall custom wara wara plazas through the same FTP means as before. Got my custom them and wara wara back permanently installed without an issue.

Trophies
XP
Yeah I was completely wrong, it's totally safe to reinstall custom wara wara plazas through the same FTP means as before. Got my custom them and wara wara back permanently installed without an issue.
Yea as far as I can guess this is basically just the same situation as when 5.5.5 rolled around. All they did then was minor stability and server side updates, nothing that broke any mods at all because.. well- why would they bother? They stopped caring about the 3DS even before it actually started dying, so why give enough shits about the Wii U to hinder mods they clearly dont care about lmao

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yea as far as I can guess this is basically just the same situation as when 5.5.5 rolled around. All they did then was minor stability and server side updates, nothing that broke any mods at all because.. well- why would they bother? They stopped caring about the 3DS even before it actually started dying, so why give enough shits about the Wii U to hinder mods they clearly dont care about lmao
Well I mean it does break any permanently installed NAND mods like themes and wara wara plazas, but only insofar as they clearly just copied the defaults files over and overwrote the ones already there, so we just have to copy the custom ones back over. But I know that's not the kind of break you're actually talking about.

Trophies
XP
Well I mean it does break any permanently installed NAND mods like themes and wara wara plazas, but only insofar as they clearly just copied the defaults files over and overwrote the ones already there, so we just have to copy the custom ones back over. But I know that's not the kind of break you're actually talking about.
Yeah, anything that's as easily fixable as that- I don't really view as a problem. It's when updates break support for things that were years in the making that became the backbone of every process as a whole that it becomes a real pain.

Of course that isn't exclusive to just Wii U, other consoles do it as well. But Nintendo specifically has a tendency to just say "fuck it" and leave homebrew devs to basically take over the system lmao, unlike Sony who basically finds a new patch weekly. Nothing majorly against it; it's just when something's been left stagnant for so long I really don't see the need to break support / make breaking updates if there's truly no need.

But yea I doubt the update did any lasting effects towards anyone.

Moon164

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Is it safe with haxchi to update? I usually ended up auto updating without a choice as soon as I turn on the Wii U on wii u mode (Usually go straight to Wii)
I use Hacxi and did the update, nothing happened and everything continues to work normally.

Actually... I don't even know what exactly this update changes, at least the last one I noticed fixed the lag and crashes in the Netflix app, but this one I didn't notice any change or difference.

Reactions: fvig2001

sonictopfan

Trophies
XP
Country
as I said, it will just say that you're on the latest firmware if you don't disable autoboot, nothing more.
I tried with disabling autobooting and I get this message “your firmware is up to date” but it still asks me to update everytime, what’s the issue?

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Turn off the console, turn it back on, and test if mii maker opens hbl. It sounds like it's still autobooting
Hi, i disabled autoboot via the steps shown in the wii u hacks guide, once I followed these steps, i opened the mii maker app and homebrew launcher didn't open only the mii maker stuff like create mii, select mii etc. btw i didnt do anything to block updates like extract UFDiine into root of sd card or change any dns in the connection settings, didn't do any of these to block updates it that makes sense. with autoboot disabled, it still says your console is up to date in the wii u system settings and still on 5.5.5E. oh yeah btw didnt the other developer garyodernichts say it was USA consoles only? sorry for masking many questions
  1. Boot the console while holding X on the Gamepad.
  2. Navigate to the installer environment and launch it by pressing A.
  3. Press A to select Check.
  4. Select Boot options.
  5. You will be asked if you want to switch the boot title. Press A to select Switch back to Wii U Menu.
  6. When the process finished, press A to shutdown the console.
  7. Perform the System Update.
  8. Follow this to re-enable autobooting.

Last edited by aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: They probably burned the disks at too high a speed....