Homebrew Is there any constantly updating NDS Homebrew website?

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
DS homebrew scene is pretty much dead now, there are few projects here and there that get updates, but that's about it.
I suggest checking out http://filetrip.net/. There are plenty of homebrew there to mess around with.

shoyrumaster11

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Alright! I understand! This is a very hard time for us. Script kiddies and elites. But, for me. My inspiration to become a part of the homebrew scene was originally because of the NDS. I will eventually be developing some NDS homebrews. But not for a while as i need to learn quite a lot of programming and i don't really have sufficient enough time for that. Although, considering all your comments and all. I think that maybe i may be pretty alone with the scene. Hopefully not as i have some wicked stuff planned to make for the DS. But. Shoyrumaster11 never quits and will be deving for the NDS. No matter who is or isn't with me in this quest to keep the scene fresh and new before it's too late! I just wish HTML, CSS and JS were enough as they are all i know right now!

realWinterMute

Trophies
XP
Country
the golden age of ds deving is over. there won't be a second generation. that generation is going to start with systems like the 3ds and vita. they may use the ds as a testing grounds to learn coding but not to make serious projects. just look back over the last 2 years and you will see how drastically the ds homebrew scene died off. this year we saw a small handful of updates to some really good projects but nothing new.

I think you're wrong to be honest. I'm still seeing new people take up DS homebrew as a hobby and stopping by the Blitzed IRC channels to ask questions. There are still people asking me about GBA related things & I thought that died years ago.

3DS if and when it gets opened will be a significantly more difficult and different machine to code for - GBA, DS and DSi are great little devices to program for and probably the last of the truly old skool consoles. Newer consoles (including the 3DS) have done away with tile based games and raster effects, they're all heavily 3D hardware oriented so they'll require a significantly more advanced skillset and I probably wouldn't advise a novice to start out trying to write games for these things.

Something else to consider is that there are still thriving ZX Spectrum and C64 scenes, there's no reason to suppose that the DS scene will just die, especially considering how cheap and easy it is to set yourself up with the means to run code on a DS.

Also, phones are crap - touchscreen buttons are *nothing* like the real thing.

Reactions: zoogie

Arm73

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I would love to try to write some homebrew myself, but the question is, what to do , that hasn't been done already or proved to be unfeasible on the relatively weak hardware ?
A new emulator ? We got emulators for just about everything possible within the system specs, and things like SNES will never get 100% working or close.
Port some classic DOS game, or even remaking one, seems pointless when you can effortlessly run dosbox on newer systems.
Really, I can't think of anything that hasn't been done already or is out of reach.
My sudokuhexed DSi sparked my interest in DSi homebrew, but being such a limited exploit ,nothing seriously worth came out of it.
Any ideas ?

Technicmaster0

Trophies
Website
www.flashkarten.tk
XP
Country
Gambia, The
(Shoyru, better get some coding tutorials to be learnt!)
The FUK Team started without code experience, too.
Simple hardware to program for? You need to get a flash cart and such in order to do it at all, and there's no official tools so you're relying on third-party support. If you're doing this on a DSi or 3DS, then a single firmware update could render your flash cart (and thus your work) unbootable because you're skirting around Nintendo's protections.
Jay:
Flashcard: 5 bucks
DS lite: 55 bucks
makes: 60 bucks.
That's not expensive!

shoyrumaster11

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
(Shoyru, better get some coding tutorials to be learnt!)
The FUK Team started without code experience, too.
Simple hardware to program for? You need to get a flash cart and such in order to do it at all, and there's no official tools so you're relying on third-party support. If you're doing this on a DSi or 3DS, then a single firmware update could render your flash cart (and thus your work) unbootable because you're skirting around Nintendo's protections.
Jay:
Flashcard: 5 bucks
DS lite: 55 bucks
makes: 60 bucks.
That's not expensive!

I'm agreeing with you! Although my flashcard i'm planning to by is a whopping $48 or something dollars. Also, I too tried to start without code experience but that doesn't really help going the visual basic way. (Though, DSGM works with part C++. Like a visual basic for Nintendo ds pretty much!) Once i get to it. I will start making Nintendo DS games with at least some C/C++ code knowledge. But that's because DSGM can't do innovating homebrew games (no offence) and i also believe that a true coder uses something other than Visual basic or a cousin of visual basic. Please don't take my opinion too personally, it's just that most professional groups. Like those that make amiga demos use a whole lot of coding to do their stuff. If we were to make the Nintendo ds scene be reborn. We are going to have to find a lot of advanced coders, chip musicians, graphics editors and hackers interested in making demos and games for the Nintendo ds to start new NDS homebrew groups.

shoyrumaster11

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I think you're wrong to be honest. I'm still seeing new people take up DS homebrew as a hobby and stopping by the Blitzed IRC channels to ask questions. There are still people asking me about GBA related things & I thought that died years ago.

3DS if and when it gets opened will be a significantly more difficult and different machine to code for - GBA, DS and DSi are great little devices to program for and probably the last of the truly old skool consoles. Newer consoles (including the 3DS) have done away with tile based games and raster effects, they're all heavily 3D hardware oriented so they'll require a significantly more advanced skillset and I probably wouldn't advise a novice to start out trying to write games for these things.

Something else to consider is that there are still thriving ZX Spectrum and C64 scenes, there's no reason to suppose that the DS scene will just die, especially considering how cheap and easy it is to set yourself up with the means to run code on a DS.

I agree with you, WinterMute. The NDS scene may still exist. It's not like some homebrew developer just made a homebrew called "THE END" or something like that. Just cause old NDS teams no longer exist does not mean new ones will come! Hey! I'm new. Fuk team is new. We just need at leas 14 more groups to start of something, than a new generation of the last "old skool" console homebrew scene will exist!

Technicmaster0

Trophies
Website
www.flashkarten.tk
XP
Country
Gambia, The

I agree with you, WinterMute. The NDS scene may still exist. It's not like some homebrew developer just made a homebrew called "THE END" or something like that. Just cause old NDS teams no longer exist does not mean new ones will come! Hey! I'm new. Fuk team is new. We just need at leas 14 more groups to start of something, than a new generation of the last "old skool" console homebrew scene will exist!
Now comes the generation that growed up with a DS. I think that the old teams didn't grow up with a DS. I don't think that the DS scene would die yet.

shoyrumaster11

OP
Trophies
XP
Country

Now comes the generation that growed up with a DS. I think that the old teams didn't grow up with a DS. I don't think that the DS scene would die yet.

Yeah! I agree! It's almost like how the demoscene in general has often got people who grew up with the amiga. And people who grew up with a PC like me!

my80chevette

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the golden age of ds deving is over. there won't be a second generation. that generation is going to start with systems like the 3ds and vita. they may use the ds as a testing grounds to learn coding but not to make serious projects. just look back over the last 2 years and you will see how drastically the ds homebrew scene died off. this year we saw a small handful of updates to some really good projects but nothing new.

I started looking at the DS for just this reason.... I have messed with nearly all the different formats for a portable, inexpensive system that can be used for infotainment and the phones suck for me. I like the connectivity, and some of the software, not to mention the nice screens but I cant get behind the goofy screen controls that are used for everything. I certainly wish Nintendo and the other portable console makers would stop fighting the homebrew community and embace it. I would love to see somebody make an open system similar to the DS or PSV!!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto