Homebrew Is there a text reader that's able to display ä, ö, ü and ß??

Luvanir

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Hey guys,

is there any homebrew text reader that can display letters like ä, ö, ü and ß? DSReader, DSOrganize and Moonshell just keep showing nothing or symbols like ?s instead of the correct letter.
Or is there any way I can change the config file of the DSReader (or another program) so it can handle the letters ä, ö, ü and ß? Or at least recognize them as ae, oe, ue and ss...
It's very annoying since I read a lot of german texts and books on my DS...

Please help me!

P.S. Sorry for my bad english
wink.gif

Psyfira

Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue
Trophies
XP
Country
You can pick up the German language pack for DSOrganise on Dragonminded's Wiki (scroll to bottom of the page, it's a recent addition so it's not on the main page). Follow the link to the languages section for install instructions. I don't know if this support just translates the menu or affects the text reader, but it's worth a try.

(edited because I can't read
smile.gif
)

Porkdish

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
http://sourceforge.net/project/screenshots...group_id=206683

Releases can be found here, Sourceforge (website) is fucking shit to navigate.
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.p...ckage_id=247253

Help using the thing can be found here.
http://ndslibris.wiki.sourceforge.net/Getting+Started

Beta 234 has fixes relating to your issue (better handling of foreign characters and their effects on page/line breaks-its still not perfect), but it also introduces a lot of usability bugs that weren't present in beta 193. The developers are trying to implement 'lefty friendly' features that allow you to flip the book orientation, but its resulted in them messing up the button assignments for navigating books you're reading.

Lamp control does NOT work for PHAT DS's its for LITE's only.

If you can handle the navigation niggles (touch screen and d-pad navigation still work fine) then go for 234. If you're mostly reading basic english text books then beta 193 might be a better bet until they release a new version.

Luvanir

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Thank you, but the problem is that all my book files (about 200) are .txt files. It took me an entire day just to convert them from .pdf to .txt.
DSLibris supports .xhtml only. If there is a quick and easy way to convert .txt's to xhtml's, please let me know.

The DSOrganize text reader may work, but it has very few extra options. I like DSReader most because you can change font, font size and much more.

P.S. I found a macro for MS Word that changes all the ä, ö and ü in a text to ae, oe, ue. That is the best alternative for me, but when I try to save the edited text after running the macro, Word crashes. That sucks.

Luvanir

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
It works with the macro now, just had to save it manually.

But I'd still prefer real ä's and stuff... I tried to add the special letters, but it didn't work on my DS (on the pc it did work). Has anyone experience with programs like FontLab?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Ok good chatting, I'm off to the bar, to shoot some pool, nighty night. +1