Is there a put in a play GBA flashcart like DS flashcards?

Discussion in 'GBA - Flashing Hardware and Software' started by Exaltys, Feb 28, 2012.

1. Exaltys
    OP

Member Exaltys GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I don't know much about GBA flashcarts. Is there one where after you prepare the software that you can just insert an SD card and read any game off of it like you can with DS flashcards?

2. jimmyemunoz

Member jimmyemunoz GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Yes, EZ Flash IV and you can still buy them. Here is a link $23.00 shipped. But it's miniSD not SD. :)

3. Exaltys
    OP

United States
    Awesome! Is there one like that for Gameboy Micro too? I'm thinking about getting one and having a small space consuming vast GBA library seems amazing to me :)

4. zhaul

Newcomer zhaul Member

Mexico
    Exaltis, that flashcard works PERFECT on GBA Micro ;), I have it and my GBAM is very happy.

5. Exaltys
    OP

United States
    I meant to say more specifically one that fits completely into the Micro. Regular sized carts will stick out of a Mirco like the DS Lite.

6. Depravo

Global Moderator Depravo Jaded curmudgeon

United Kingdom
    All Gameboy Advance models used exactly the same size cartridge with no 'sticking out'. Perhaps you're thinking of regular GB carts sticking out of a GBA?

7. Exaltys
    OP

United States
    For some reason I thought regular GBA carts stuck out of the Micro. Thanks for clearing it up. I guess I'm going to look into getting what jimmyemunoz suggested.

Thanks everyone!

1 person likes this.
  8. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    You may have been thinking of the lite.

9. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    "Is there one where after you prepare the software" if by that you mean the kernel/menu then not as far as I am aware (we were coming off the era where you needed drivers to connect to linkers or cables and patching a GBA game onboard can be time consuming). I doubt the following thread will be your thing but some on the subject http://gbatemp.net/topic/321599-why-is-gba-flashing-software-so-flaky/page__fromsearch__1

The EZ4 is very nice though and you pretty much just press open this rom (it can be left as a zip or rar) and press send in the EZ4 software- http://filetrip.net/f4753-EZ4-Client-2009-04-03.html and should work on everything (you can even punch WINE into working with it if you really need to- either have a D drive or edit the client as follows http://ezflash.sosuke.com/viewtopic.php?p=64471#p64471 ).

10. how_do_i_do_that

Member how_do_i_do_that Blue Wizard is about to die.

Antarctica
    The "sticks out" perceptions comes from DSL users paroting the DS users of slot2 flashcarsts that do this:
    [​IMG]

But because your going to be using it with a micro, here are some pictures to ease any concerns you might have about it.

Warning: Spoilers inside!

11. Exaltys
    OP

United States
    So it is not like say an Acekard 2i where I just put in my micro sd card with the games and choose any of them to play straight from the DS?

12. pyromaniac123

Member pyromaniac123 ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็(ಠ益ಠส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็

United Kingdom
    Afraid not. The ez4client patches the games so they save correctly.

13. FAST6191

pip
    United Kingdom
    Correct- first you have to patch the GBA roms with the program (or one like it I guess) after which you get to select whatever rom you like.

It is in French (you want 3) but it covers the whole operation
    http://www.metagames-eu.com/forums/ez-flash/le-ez-flash-4-pour-les-nuls-120651.html

No current GBA cart acts like a DS cart (although in all of cart and such history such things are somewhat rare), again I had hoped to see one at some point but nobody has stepped up yet.

14. Exaltys
    OP

United States
    Sorry to keep asking for clarification but if I understand correctly I can:

1. Buy the flashcart
    2. Rip my own GBA games (of course)
    3. Patch each game and copy it to a micro SD card
    4. Put the flashcart into my GBA and pick from any that I just put on my SD card

Is this correct?

15. FAST6191

pip
    United Kingdom
    You will find it hard to dump GBA games with an EZ4 but you can that on a DS easily enough.

3) The regular EZ4 uses miniSD rather than microSD. There are adapters but we advise against their use- it is annoying but do try to find a miniSD. If you only want it for GBA it does not have to be an all singing, all dancing one anyway (GBA games are copied to internal memory to run so there are speed penalties for a slow miniSD).
    Also the software should allow you to patch many games at once.

Other than that though you have the procedure such that it is.

16. DanTheManMS

Member DanTheManMS aka Ricochet Otter

United States
    Related: no GBA flash cart supports SDHC, so make absolutely certain you get a 2 GB miniSD card or smaller.

1 person likes this.