Gaming Is the Switch future compatible with a new digital-only infrastructure for Gen 9th consoles?

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Nintendo profit either way as they are getting a cut via the eStore. The only thing cartridges are doing is inflating download prices due to wanting to keep price parity across both formats. There has been plenty of complaints about this resulting in Switch games costing more than other platforms.
thats why people do phisical releases more expensive and add some goodies wich is always nice i love the goodies they have like nicalis releases :P

SoslanVanWieren

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
They can't go all digital until every ones internet is fast enough internet to download it fast it will piss a lot of people off if they do that. It will also piss of collectors.

Fluffball

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I remember years back the head of Square-Enix predicted 2030 would be the cut off date for physical media,sounds about right to me?

I'm not sure about the rest of the world but by 2025 the EU is aiming for every household in Europe to have access to 100Mbps,the days of people saying they don't have fast enough internet will be over by the end of the next decade.

Pluupy

_(:3」∠)_
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They will replace shops with delivery.
You have to pay for delivery. Why would people pay for delivery if a shop is close by? If large retailers go delivery only, there would be a massive boom in local shops.

Actually on second thought, that sounds lovely.

People need to work. Driving to work requires gas in your car. Where are they going to get gas? Delivery only? Good luck getting countries to fully give up on billion-dollar gasoline industry in favor of electric cars.

SoslanVanWieren

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
You have to pay for delivery. Why would people pay for delivery if a shop is close by? If large retailers go delivery only, there would be a massive boom in local shops.

Actually on second thought, that sounds lovely.

People need to work. Driving to work requires gas in your car. Where are they going to get gas? Delivery only? Good luck getting countries to fully give up on billion-dollar gasoline industry in favor of electric cars.
Getting rid of phsycial games also causes a problem for people with internet that takes a day or even more for the game to download its faster to go to the store if you don't have fast internet. They can't do it until every ones internet is ready for it that means every internet plan will be high speed. I would download most of my games if they did not take like half the day to download. Its only a temporary problem though but yeah my parents cannot afford better internet they are broke. also in aus with no fiber yet so the speeds won't be a whole lot better if we got better bandwidth. In the future though i think every internet connection will be high speed so its only a temporary problem for digital games. The internet is becoming more of a need now days. Also not to mention kids can't have there own bank accounts so yeah they will either have to buy a card at a store or ask there parents.

Last edited by SoslanVanWieren,

Alex Atkin UK

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
We already see it though, you can buy top-up cards at your local supermarket in a lot of places.

If we do lose physical media what I would like to see are gaming cafes open up doing deals with the distributors so they have a local cache of the latest games negating the need for fast broadband at all. Just walk in with your Switch, connect to their WiFi then the store automatically uses their local cache for lightening downloads. Of course they would need to remove the speed limit in the console to do that.

This could even expand to none-portables by allowing you to download an encrypted package to a USB stick then the console automatically use that instead of downloading itself.

It could actually build a better gaming community than the stores alone manage to do, as everyone pretty much keeps to themselves in stores in my experience.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
people fail to see that stores will always exist, they give free publicity to anything, how manny times are you passing through a store and see something you dont even knew you wanted or even existed? that is the free publicity.

how manny times people pass through eletronics stores and see new games they didnt even knew about and end up getting them, specialy little kids asking their parents.

not everyone roams gaming websites or e shop to know what is available.

Trophies
Website
harshamohite.com
XP
Country
United States
There are issues with digital distribution that might still keep physical media around. One is ownership. You don't really own game software unless it's DRM-free. Steam, the eShop, and most online game stores sell you a license. That can be taken away at any time. If the servers go down, so too do your purchases. You also can't resell digital games, or loan them (easily) to a friend. Despite all this, I actually do prefer digital and the benefits outweigh the negatives for me, but it's clear that not everyone will agree with all-digital. As long as games are still bought individually (as opposed to a Netflix-like service), there will always be a market for physical media.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    eeewww
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I thought it was the toilet
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    okies. Time to go watch YT paranormal ghost things. L8er my luvs :D
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I got a massive clue
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    this mf def ain't watching ghost shit, he boutta beat his meat fr
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah he's about to be the ghost in your bedroom
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, and leave ectoplasm all over the place
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:

this is him being described
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Sigh
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Yawn
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, I dislike the kind of drm where you have to play single player games online all the time bc of some verification bs
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, Don't use games that have Easy Anti-Cheat as its been exploited many times.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, my PC can't run most AAA games so i wont
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Most of the modern AAA games
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, I also heard one of the Prince of Persia games was so unfinished that it required the "24/7 online" drm so a puzzle could be done and the game could be finished. And that when the Ubisoft servers were closed the (cracked) game was impossible to finish or something like that
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, That's extra scummy. Ubisoft nowadays ship out incomplete games like Skull and Bones which was being worked on for nearly a decade now.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, i think they have been doing that since late 2000s
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Either that or their old games were unfinished aswell but we can't notice it
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I like that games can be fixed after the fact, hate that it's being abused via beta tests... And DLC... I was a 7800 owner back in the day and loved Impossible Mission, turns out I couldn't beat it because it was actually impossible lol
    I never knew about it at the time but a fixed version was available but you had to mail in your broken copy lol
    So that version is semi rare
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Psionic Roshambo, I have a rom of the ds version of impossible mission
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @Psionic Roshambo, I have a rom of the ds version of impossible mission