Hardware Is the Switch Dock board expensive to make?

• Thread starter Saiyan Lusitano
  • Start date
  • Views 3,624
  • Replies 27
S

Saiyan Lusitano

OP
I've noticed some third party Switch Dock units now exist but they all require to use the original board from the Dock by Nintendo. Can someone explain?

Thanks.

whateverg1012

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i'd recommend watchign the entire review, because he states that it is very important not to lay the switch on its back and also some other stuff

Laying it on its back won't destroy the system, it's just something people have been spreading around:

I have a Hori stand anyways tho.

whateverg1012

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
im talking about laying it on its back in TV mode

but probably ur right

Yup, even in TV mode it's not a problem. The guy in the video tested it. Switch turns off automatically if it gets too hot and he only managed to get it to that point by disabling the internal fan.

Yil

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Reactions: StarTrekVoyager

xile6

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If it needs the switchs board then they arent making docks there making shells. I can make a shell.
There are 2 3rd party docks that are there own tech.
One is posted up there.
The other was from an asain website and said it would also work with the s8 phone.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Whoa, really tempted to get one of those. The $59 deal with free worldwide shipping is sold out so I'll be patient and see for how much it'll go on Amazon.
Shipping is only $10 though.

I backed the $79 tier, if the charger is crap I won't use it and I probably won't use the stand (will instead get the Hori one which has bigger air vents) so I might end up paying $20 extra for just a HDMI cable. Hopefully it's a decent quality charger as I do need another charger anyway, the official one will be permanently attached to my dock at home. Seeing as it's USB-PD (I'm assuming it is anyway, otherwise it's worthless), it will probably be at least of decent quality as I don't think the Chinese have started making $5 USB-PD chargers yet.

They say the retail price is $110, but that's just way too much. No one's going to pay that, the official dock is only $90 and that has the stand built in, which you would still need to get separately for this one, plus it comes with a charger.

I would recommend backing the Indiegogo if you are interested though. It's not likely to go for $60 again for a long time.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I honestly assumed that as soon as I saw it, the layout of the ports is the exact same and it was an odd choice including 2 USB-C ports which the official dock doesn't have and which no Switch peripheral will ever use. It was the last thing that tipped me off.
But it's around the same price (the thread on here says the C-Force one costs $30 but if you actually look on Taobao the cost is around $60), and it's Switch themed, and easier to get ahold of, so why not get it.
Laying it on its back won't destroy the system, it's just something people have been spreading around:

I have a Hori stand anyways tho.

It might not destroy it, but it will most likely cause it to bend. My Switch is already bent (likely from the dock), I don't want it to get worse, that's actually part of my reason for buying the SFANS adapter.
Look for the cforce cf001. Apparently the switch con as well as the sfans use the exact same board but the cforce is cheaper.
Actually it's not. Look on Taobao, the C-Force is about $60.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

ZoneBlaze

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Shipping is only $10 though.

I backed the $79 tier, if the charger is crap I won't use it and I probably won't use the stand (will instead get the Hori one which has bigger air vents) so I might end up paying $20 extra for just a HDMI cable. Hopefully it's a decent quality charger as I do need another charger anyway, the official one will be permanently attached to my dock at home. Seeing as it's USB-PD (I'm assuming it is anyway, otherwise it's worthless), it will probably be at least of decent quality as I don't think the Chinese have started making $5 USB-PD chargers yet.

They say the retail price is $110, but that's just way too much. No one's going to pay that, the official dock is only $90 and that has the stand built in, which you would still need to get separately for this one, plus it comes with a charger.

I would recommend backing the Indiegogo if you are interested though. It's not likely to go for $60 again for a long time.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I honestly assumed that as soon as I saw it, the layout of the ports is the exact same and it was an odd choice including 2 USB-C ports which the official dock doesn't have and which no Switch peripheral will ever use. It was the last thing that tipped me off.
But it's around the same price (the thread on here says the C-Force one costs $30 but if you actually look on Taobao the cost is around $60), and it's Switch themed, and easier to get ahold of, so why not get it.

It might not destroy it, but it will most likely cause it to bend. My Switch is already bent (likely from the dock), I don't want it to get worse, that's actually part of my reason for buying the SFANS adapter.

Actually it's not. Look on Taobao, the C-Force is about $60.
It was around $30 before this whole thing was made public, I suppose the Chinese have realised the profits they could be making and upped their prices. At any rate, we've no other options for cheap, portable 3rd party docks at the moment it would seem.

whateverg1012

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Nah, bend is either there or not from the beginning. It doesn't get worse and heat isn't the reason for it (impossible considering the temps). It's just bad construction on Nintendo's part. If you measure it you'll see it won't expand/contract anymore than it has.

This guy even got his brand new one shipped like that.

I play exclusively in docked and mine is fine.

Reactions: Saiyan Lusitano

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse