Is the PS3 the best option out there for Blu-ray?

Discussion in 'PS3 - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by R2DJ, Oct 15, 2010.

Oct 15, 2010
  1. R2DJ
    OP

Member R2DJ GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United Kingdom
    I'm not really into the PS3 but my parents are planning to buy a 3DTV soon. I just saw a "3DTV package" at my local store and they're selling a 3DTV along with a 3D Blu-ray player and a "starter kit that includes 3D glasses" for £1500. The TV costs £1000 and everything else costs £500. I just suggested to them that they should get a PS3 instead because it is cheaper and a better Blu-ray player (since it is more than a Blu-ray player). The question is: am I right in suggesting it? Another reason I suggested it is because I am aware that the PS3 has an update that allows 3D playback (I don't know if it's yet to be released or if it's already released).

Thanks.

2. MrDiesel

Member MrDiesel GBAtemp Regular

Belgium
    Sony is selling televisions right now, with a free PS3 included (with an extra 5 3D games, iirc). The NX710, NX810, HX800, HX900 and LX900.

I don't know if this is offered in the UK too. I can't find it at sony.co.uk.
    At sony.be (my country) it's on the front page: http://www.sony.be/lang/nl/article/gratis-...lete-sony-3d-tv

It's not in English though, but in Dutch.

3. Livin in a box

Member Livin in a box Livin' in a cardboard box

United Kingdom
    Yeah in the UK I've seen adverts with PS3's bundled. It's probably a good option, as you said it has 3D enabled too. Just have a look around at and you should see a good deal somewhere.

4. dilav

Member dilav GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Best? No, its more of a multimedia, you can get blu-ray players that startup faster and whatnot. If you get a PS3 you may want to get a remote for it too, its kinda weird to use a controller. A PS3 can play game and blu-ray and it isn't bad for its price.

5. nando

Member nando GBAtemp Addict

United States
    i don't know, but don't fall for any "3d starter kit" or any package offered through a retail store, they are usually a rip off.

buy the components separate and do it online.