Hacking Is the "New Nintendo 3DS/N3DS" the end of Gateway?

piratesephiroth

I wish I could read
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
But really, I think the main reason Nintendo is launching New 3DS models is the 4.5 exploits (and Gateway).

I'm sure they noticed it's a matter of time until someone figures out NAND encryption and starts downgrading consoles to 4.5 so they decided to push an upgraded console with improved security and all known mistakes corrected.
A new secure system entirely compatible with the old games.

TemplarGR

Gaming expert
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
What I've read over the Internet suggest these exclusive titles require the extra horsepower and built in CPP to run. I mean Xenoblade has a massive over-world and would require the extra RAM and CPU to produce such scale, no?

No. The original Wii IIRC had less RAM than the 3DS, and the Cpu difference is not that important and not something that couldn't be addressed with some modifications to the port...

This is just a money grab and PR bullshit...

Reactions: piratesephiroth

anhminh

Pirate since 2010
Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
The DSi had sudokuhax, cookhax and cyclo ievo.
The DSi was too late and doesn't have any worthwhile additions. This one has quite some new features, especially that c stick.
You mean that c nub?
To be fair, 3DS have circle pad pro so it isn't something new, also out side of changing camera I doesn't see any practically use of second c pad.
But now look at it, 2 c pad, 1 d pad, 4 main button, 4 shoulde button, isn't it just like console controller now? #Newwiiucontrollerconfirmed

dubbz82

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No. The original Wii IIRC had less RAM than the 3DS, and the Cpu difference is not that important and not something that couldn't be addressed with some modifications to the port...

This is just a money grab and PR bullshit...

I'm REALLY hoping that most people see it this way, and it's even more DOA than the PSP Go was, but I suppose only time will tell. Personally I don't like the idea of being gouged for effectively the same console.

Reactions: TemplarGR

zhdarkstar

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
While the cash grab argument does hold some water, I just thought of a possible reason for the hardware upgrade. As anhminh put it, the N3DS is becoming physically similar to the Wii U gamepad. Perhaps, that is a design alteration done so that it can serve as a secondary gamepad for the Wii U, a problem that has existed since inception. With SSB coming to both platforms, it makes sense to create an alternative controller solution, as not everyone still has GCN controllers lying around. This wouldn't be the first time that Nintendo tried to create connectivity between their console and handheld, and it certainly won't be the last. Sure it seems like it's a bit of a corner case, but the GCN controller adapter for Wii U is just as guilty as being a niche accessory.

I still remember Reggie saying that Wii U would support up to two gamepads, yet the gamepad itself is apparently still too expensive to sell by itself according to Miyamoto. If this really is the route they want to take instead, it's a calculated risk to leverage the non-overlapping 3DS user base into the Wii U user base.

As for whether or not I would get one for myself, I'm probably going to snag an N3DSXL as my Player 2/retail/download play unit. One thing that I learned from the DS era is that it's a lot easier to get your friends into the multiplayer games you like if you can put the full experience in their hands. I'm just glad that I didn't get a 2DS, although I would consider a N2DS (you know it's inevitable) should my theory about the Wii U/N3DS connectivity be true.

4gionz

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
While the cash grab argument does hold some water, I just thought of a possible reason for the hardware upgrade. As anhminh put it, the N3DS is becoming physically similar to the Wii U gamepad. Perhaps, that is a design alteration done so that it can serve as a secondary gamepad for the Wii U, a problem that has existed since inception. With SSB coming to both platforms, it makes sense to create an alternative controller solution, as not everyone still has GCN controllers lying around. This wouldn't be the first time that Nintendo tried to create connectivity between their console and handheld, and it certainly won't be the last. Sure it seems like it's a bit of a corner case, but the GCN controller adapter for Wii U is just as guilty as being a niche accessory.

I still remember Reggie saying that Wii U would support up to two gamepads, yet the gamepad itself is apparently still too expensive to sell by itself according to Miyamoto. If this really is the route they want to take instead, it's a calculated risk to leverage the non-overlapping 3DS user base into the Wii U user base.

As for whether or not I would get one for myself, I'm probably going to snag an N3DSXL as my Player 2/retail/download play unit. One thing that I learned from the DS era is that it's a lot easier to get your friends into the multiplayer games you like if you can put the full experience in their hands. I'm just glad that I didn't get a 2DS, although I would consider a N2DS (you know it's inevitable) should my theory about the Wii U/N3DS connectivity be true.
Actually this makes a lot of sense a few pages back someone posted a screen shot of a new little icon, maybe that icon is to connect as a wii u controller. screen and all...interesting

Kandern97

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Seriously WTF is Nintendo doing?! Could they pls stop making a new version of their handhelds every two months?! how in the world shall the consumer market look through this chaos of 3ds and nds versions. The marketing department of Nintendo is sooooo bad!
I give nintendo maximum 5 years until they become insolvent. They will release maybe one next-gen console, but when it flops again, the end of Nintendo is near....
Don't quote me on this but I heard a statistic that Nintendo could go on making crap consoles for 20 years, and they'd still be more or less fine. The have so much money in the bank from the Wii and their whole DS lineup, and now even the 3DS is making Nintendo a large figure of cash. So basically they have the balls and the wiggle room to try new and crazy innovative things. Nintendo ain't going anywhere.

sword414

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Don't quote me on this but I heard a statistic that Nintendo could go on making crap consoles for 20 years, and they'd still be more or less fine. The have so much money in the bank from the Wii and their whole DS lineup, and now even the 3DS is making Nintendo a large figure of cash. So basically they have the balls and the wiggle room to try new and crazy innovative things. Nintendo ain't going anywhere.

You're probably referring to this article

http://www.gamesradar.com/nintendo-doomed-not-likely-just-take-look-how-much-money-its-got-bank/

Kandern97

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
This seems to me like a a 3DS-S, kinda how iphone 5s is to iphone 5.
Nice analogy, however I would likely compare it more as the iPhone 4 to the 4s, cuz the 5s has Touch ID and 64-bit and A8 and M8 (or 7 can't recall). But the differences from the 4 to 4s were basically Siri, battery, horsepower. People are getting hyped (or pissed) at Nintendo and their new 3ds, but guys, Nintendo isn't gonna ditch the old one for a few years at least. We don't even have a release date of NA and all we know for EU is "sometime in 2015". So guys, calm down. But I do have to say, I'm glad that more games will be made that can utilize dual circle pads (or a nub) and zl and zr buttons.

Kandern97

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
We
You know what rubs me the wrong way? I just bought my 3DS from Craigslist less than a month ago. Now... I would be happy to sell it now (or soon) and then get the new version and do the system transfer since it's linked with Club Nintendo but NINTENDO DOESN'T LET YOU DO THAT! YOU NEED BOTH CONSOLES TO SYSTEM TRANSFER WHICH IS STUPID AS HELL!

So I have two options. Sell now (or soon) while the value is still high enough and then lose all my streetpass data (I have homepass, and I don't have any downloaded games) or wait until the new version comes out and then either do a trade in (which will seriously suck) or try to see if I can sell my original 3DS on craigslist for a decent price. Though it will likely decline in value by then.

Or a third option is that I can wait to see how this new system is and if there are any exclusives coming out for it that I must have (Most likely a monster hunter or Zelda title) and then try to sell my original 3DS which will be even cheaper by then.

Damn I wish I waited :/
Well, it's not coming out for at least another year or so, so just calm down and enjoy your 3DS

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
well i doubt there will be LESS gateway users pretty much every day there is a few new people struggling to set up their new gateway card....there is plenty of 4.x consoles still around....brand new consoles still sitting on shelves of shops with 4.x it just takes a bit of effort to go looking for one, but they aren't hard to find or rare just yet

Kandern97

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
i hate it when people can afford games but pirate them!
in iran the only original games i found for the 3ds was sm3dland,kidicarus,street fighter and re revelations(seriously there is no original game for consoles in iran except for playstation consoles(very rare and expensive))!with what price u ask?ALMOST FORTH TIME THE ORIGINAL PRICE!but i bought some and kept trading them but after gateway came out even those games disapeared!so i bought 3dslink (gateway is ridiculously expensive in iran!) and pirated them!even steam is censored in iran!(but thank god there is vpn connections....not to mention they are expensive too!(plus steam sometimes bans u cause u connect from iran!))even when i was a kid they sold me pirate sega and ps1 games as original!every goddamn game i ever played was pirated but i didnt have a choice!u probably wont believe me but its real and every goddamn day it gets worse and worse....
Bro, I hear you. I didn't have it as bad, but living in Russia, so much of that stuff is pirated and overpriced. And if I didn't live in the middle of nowhere, I probably would pay for 3ds games but I can't. And I don't have a credit card to use for the eshop, so I hear you man. Maybe one day as a collective community at GBAtemp, we should fly over Iran and AirDrop consoles, PC's, and games. (Joking, but that would be awesome)

Reactions: alirezay

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
This seems to me like a a 3DS-S, kinda how iphone 5s is to iphone 5.

I told this to all of my friends as well. They laughed hard.

This new system is going to be terrific for homebrew, however piracy wise... I give up. I have pirated DS games and many other stuff, but I find myself just 'not' enjoying the games as much as I would if I purchased them legitimately. With the 3DS, I actually bought about 5 games and I feel satisfied enough. I ended up not touching >30 DS games in my preloaded supercard anyway.

Of course, this isn't an anti-piracy stance. I understand some who face huge barriers purchasing legit games such as heavy taxation etc.

I still pirate on other things too :tpi:

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: there was a "HD" redrawn version of :creep: someone made at one point but i didnt save it