Hacking Is the "New Nintendo 3DS/N3DS" the end of Gateway?

IronClouds

GBAtemp's Pokébro
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Piracy aside, this thing really looks awesome. Faster CPU, another circle pad, exchangeable face plates (kinda gimmicky, but meh) and better viewing angles for 3D. Me likey. The bottom looks awfully cramped tho:

1z2f6Bs.jpg

Cartridge slot, headphone jack, stylus and power button. :\

gamefan5

Kid Icarus Uprising connoiseur
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Reactions: IronClouds

Ericzander

GBAtemp's residential attorney
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Somalia
You know what rubs me the wrong way? I just bought my 3DS from Craigslist less than a month ago. Now... I would be happy to sell it now (or soon) and then get the new version and do the system transfer since it's linked with Club Nintendo but NINTENDO DOESN'T LET YOU DO THAT! YOU NEED BOTH CONSOLES TO SYSTEM TRANSFER WHICH IS STUPID AS HELL!

So I have two options. Sell now (or soon) while the value is still high enough and then lose all my streetpass data (I have homepass, and I don't have any downloaded games) or wait until the new version comes out and then either do a trade in (which will seriously suck) or try to see if I can sell my original 3DS on craigslist for a decent price. Though it will likely decline in value by then.

Or a third option is that I can wait to see how this new system is and if there are any exclusives coming out for it that I must have (Most likely a monster hunter or Zelda title) and then try to sell my original 3DS which will be even cheaper by then.

Damn I wish I waited :/

Alessandro98

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
So guys according to you no way will be found by gateway to bypass this shit? Neither a new flashcard with built in cpu nor an overclock?

willdunz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
why are the shoulder buttons side by side? Can I press down ZR without touching R? what kind of design is this?

also what's up with that thinkpad nipple? why can't it be a full stick like the left one?

c80n

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Piracy aside, this thing really looks awesome. Faster CPU, another circle pad, exchangeable face plates (kinda gimmicky, but meh) and better viewing angles for 3D. Me likey. The bottom looks awfully cramped tho:

1z2f6Bs.jpg

Cartridge slot, headphone jack, stylus and power button. :\
How is a system that is almost the same in a lot of aspects except some couple new (and terribly placed) shoulder buttons, a small analog stick that doesn't allow the pressing of the ABXY buttons, and some CPU and RAM performance boost which is insignificant at this moment awesome? The 3D aspect only tries to further add more 3D viewing angles that is stupid considering that it doesn't make the 3D effect better at all and you're not going to play a handheld with other people, and on top of that it doesn't fixes actual hardware issues such as top screen scratching. All of that for what is going to be assumed the same (or higher) price than the 3DS XL, and exclusive games FURTHER fragmenting the userbase?
This is not a new handheld. This is not next-gen. This is a REVISION because it doesn't add anything that is SIGNIFICANT other than some power boost. Hell, they didn't even upgrade the touch screen.
Sorry, but this is terrible and whoever thought of this at Nintendo needs to be fired.

alirezay

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yup, That's it. I'm done with Nintendo.
Thank god I have a gateway and PIRATE everything
I was seriously planning on getting a Wii U but now I'm going to get one second hand or used but only once there is piracy on it.

i hate it when people can afford games but pirate them!
in iran the only original games i found for the 3ds was sm3dland,kidicarus,street fighter and re revelations(seriously there is no original game for consoles in iran except for playstation consoles(very rare and expensive))!with what price u ask?ALMOST FORTH TIME THE ORIGINAL PRICE!but i bought some and kept trading them but after gateway came out even those games disapeared!so i bought 3dslink (gateway is ridiculously expensive in iran!) and pirated them!even steam is censored in iran!(but thank god there is vpn connections....not to mention they are expensive too!(plus steam sometimes bans u cause u connect from iran!))even when i was a kid they sold me pirate sega and ps1 games as original!every goddamn game i ever played was pirated but i didnt have a choice!u probably wont believe me but its real and every goddamn day it gets worse and worse....

Reactions: cearp

IronClouds

GBAtemp's Pokébro
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How is a system that is almost the same in a lot of aspects except some couple new (and terribly placed) shoulder buttons, a small analog stick that doesn't allow the pressing of the ABXY buttons, and some CPU and RAM performance boost which is insignificant at this moment awesome? The 3D aspect only tries to further add more 3D viewing angles that is stupid considering that it doesn't make the 3D effect better at all and you're not going to play a handheld with other people, and on top of that it doesn't fixes actual hardware issues such as top screen scratching. All of that for what is going to be assumed the same (or higher) price than the 3DS XL, and exclusive games FURTHER fragmenting the userbase?
This is not a new handheld. This is not next-gen. This is a REVISION because it doesn't add anything that is SIGNIFICANT other than some power boost. Hell, they didn't even upgrade the touch screen.
Sorry, but this is terrible and whoever thought of this at Nintendo needs to be fired.

Whoa. Listen, why don't you take it down a notch or 5? I was stating my own opinion, which I'd appreciate if you'd respect and let me think what I want. I get you're fired up over this announcement, but I'd appreciate it if you didn't take it out on me. Thanks, bro <3

(no disrespect though, truly.)

c80n

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Whoa. Listen, why don't you take it down a notch or 5? I was stating my own opinion, which I'd appreciate if you'd respect and let me think what I want. I get you're fired up over this announcement, but I'd appreciate it if you didn't take it out on me. Thanks, bro <3

(no disrespect though, truly.)
I actually understand your opinion, though, I am just addressing how I don't share the same view as you and told you my reasons. And no, I wasn't being harsh at you, more like being harsh at Nintendo decision. Sorry if it came as rude to you, but this announcement is striking me, and hard. I assume this is the case to other users as well.

Doran754

Conform comrades
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Couldn't care less aslong as games come out for all 3DS's and not just the "new" one, that's when I'll be pissed. At the minute the main thing I'm pissed off about is them sexy as fuck snes buttons :( I'm so jelly. The stupid placement of the power button (which I feel could be turned off quite a few times accidentally) the weird nipple analog, the shoulder buttons you won't be able to use, the touch screen no one will use because they're using the new nipple analog, are not improvements.

IronClouds

GBAtemp's Pokébro
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I actually understand your opinion, though, I am just addressing how I don't share the same view as you and told you my reasons. And no, I wasn't being harsh at you, more like being harsh at Nintendo decision. Sorry if it came as rude to you, but this announcement is striking me, and hard. I assume this is the case to other users as well.

I disagree with the claims made in this post, but I refuse to argue. Thanks for apologizing. Now let's agree to disagree on this view and go our separate ways. :)

desertwarior

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Libya
:angry: fuck this shit! i decided to buy a 3DSXL three months ago , i used to have the regular 3DS then decided to buy the XL model and it cost me a lot since Nintendo products are not popular in my shithole of a country , now they are releasing a new hardware? ,,fuuuuuuuuuuck!!!.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
a small analog stick that doesn't allow the pressing of the ABXY buttons
It's basically impossible to use ABXY buttons and the second analog at the same time on every console.
The 3D aspect only tries to further add more 3D viewing angles that is stupid considering that it doesn't make the 3D effect better at all and you're not going to play a handheld with other people
It's nice to not have the 3D stop working if you move your head 1 centimeter.
and on top of that it doesn't fixes actual hardware issues such as top screen scratching.
? The XL fixed this, and the new 3DS model adds bumpers to the top screen, so I don't see why this would still happen. Although I suppose it's impossible to say for sure, but it looks like they fixed it.

Wisenheimer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is similar to the DSi, which featured better hardware and exclusive games, but was still compatible with DS games.

Most likely, Nintendo's next handheld is only a couple years away and will be backwards compatible with the new 3DS, so I'm not going to rush out to buy a new console right now. There will probably only be a few good games exclusive to the new 3DS and they will still be playable on whatever Nintendo is developing down the road.

The only thing I really like about this new system is the improved 3D. Keeping the 3DS in the "sweet spot" can be a nightmare of ergonomics.

IronClouds

GBAtemp's Pokébro
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's basically impossible to use ABXY buttons and the second analog at the same time on every console.

It's nice to not have the 3D stop working if you move your head 1 centimeter.

? The XL fixed this, and the new 3DS model adds bumpers to the top screen, so I don't see why this would still happen. Although I suppose it's impossible to say for sure, but it looks like they fixed it.

Completely agree on all fronts. Plus, I use screen protectors on any electronic with a screen that I own, so screen scratching is seldom an issue for me.

noki@

Trophies
XP
Country
Well maybe we can see this as a positive (I just bought my 3ds XL anyway last month)

Firstly: Nintendo could of released this as a brand new console the Nintendo bla bla, if that happened then none of the new games for bla bla would work on our 3ds. So whilst they might be some exclusives a lot of the new games should still be playable on our system.
Secondly: we have Gateway on our 3ds's I doubt whether Gateway or any other company would even bother trying to make a new flashcard that would be compatible with the New 3ds even if they could...
Thirdly: Most people already has a 3ds/xl 2ds, and I doubt the general public would just upgrade just so they can have another new DS (people here don't count b.t.w) with a few extra buttons and what not... so that would keep developers making games that is compatible with all 3ds's

We know this is just a money making scheme by Nintendo they lost the console wars badly this time, and they are just hanging onto their handheld devices and trying to milk it, whilst they still can anyway.

CFallenleaf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ill probably buy it just for xenoblade. Its hard as hell to find xenoblade at a decent price on the wii. Also apparently it will have an nfc chip under the bottom screen screen for putting some new gimicky nintendo thing.

The new buttons dont do anything for me since i have a cpp. Im just hoping that the new allusion to the snes measn it will have super nintendo game compatibility.

Kakkoii

Old fart
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
These "exclusive" games will only run on this newer model which renders the rest of the community in a pretty shit state. All the best titles will probably come out on this due to the extra RAM and CPU.

As far as we know, these game's won't be "exclusive" to this new 3DS, they will simply be optimized for it, and thus lag a bit on our old 3DS.
As for "all the best titles", I hardly think so. You have to think of userbase. Do you really think the millions of people who already own a 3DS, are just going to go and pick up this new one? No. Most developers will say "well... we're not going to make that much money if we only release it on the new one, so lets target the old one for now".

By the time developers are mainly focusing on the new one, an actual fully new handheld from Nintendo will likely come out lmao.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Ill probably buy it just for xenoblade. Its hard as hell to find xenoblade at a decent price on the wii. Also apparently it will have an nfc chip under the bottom screen screen for putting some new gimicky nintendo thing.

The new buttons dont do anything for me since i have a cpp. Im just hoping that the new allusion to the snes measn it will have super nintendo game compatibility.
Those would be the amiibos which were announced quite some time ago.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: there was a "HD" redrawn version of :creep: someone made at one point but i didnt save it