Hacking Is the "New Nintendo 3DS/N3DS" the end of Gateway?

Mikecrowfone

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I told this to all of my friends as well. They laughed hard.

This new system is going to be terrific for homebrew, however piracy wise... I give up. I have pirated DS games and many other stuff, but I find myself just 'not' enjoying the games as much as I would if I purchased them legitimately. With the 3DS, I actually bought about 5 games and I feel satisfied enough. I ended up not touching >30 DS games in my preloaded supercard anyway.

Of course, this isn't an anti-piracy stance. I understand some who face huge barriers purchasing legit games such as heavy taxation etc.

I still pirate on other things too :tpi:

Couldn't agree more. Back when I had legit 3DS games, I played them a lot. Now with my Gateway, I don't play it nearly as frequent.

Reactions: chris888222

Kandern97

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Yeah, that's what I was thinking too.

There will likely not be too many "new 3ds exclusive" games. Majority of the people own a 3ds already. Just look at the sales figures. Most likely it will just end up having a bunch of 3ds-enhanced games that work on the regular 3ds/xl as well. It'll be dumb to create AAA games for "new 3ds" when the number of people owning an "old 3ds" is just way higher.

Who knows? After release, there might even be a Xenoblade Chronicles for the old 3ds but probably will less graphics and features.
But one good thing to come out of this at least, is that there will be more games that support the CCP, which would be just great, because that is one nice peripheral.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
yeah i can also see that when it comes to pirating, once you have the whole selection of games at your disposal it kinda gets a bit ......errrrmmmm less fun as you find yourself jumping from game to game, i do like the prospect of modding and stuff though which is always fun, but i still buy games legit if i know i want to enjoy them suppose its the urge to get your moneys worth from it

Kandern97

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
But really, I think the main reason Nintendo is launching New 3DS models is the 4.5 exploits (and Gateway).

I'm sure they noticed it's a matter of time until someone figures out NAND encryption and starts downgrading consoles to 4.5 so they decided to push an upgraded console with improved security and all known mistakes corrected.
A new secure system entirely compatible with the old games.
Yeah, but the gateway username is shrinking, just by it's nature, at least it can't be getting much bigger. I think what they're scared of is ssspwn.

Kandern97

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
yeah i can also see that when it comes to pirating, once you have the whole selection of games at your disposal it kinda gets a bit ......errrrmmmm less fun as you find yourself jumping from game to game, i do like the prospect of modding and stuff though which is always fun, but i still buy games legit if i know i want to enjoy them suppose its the urge to get your moneys worth from it
Yeah dropping money on something usually gives you an incentive to try and dig into it, which if you do, is awesome

Bimmel

~ Game Soundtrack Collector ~
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Hm.. I'm pleased with my 3DS XL to be honest. And I don't give a damn about Xenoblade. If one can afford to buy a "New 3DS", then he/she should better buy a used Wii for 40 € and get Xenoblade and all the other good games that the Wii has to offer.

More for the money in every case, don't you agree? =)

Oh.. and I have a Gateway. But unlike other persons I support Nintendo and other companys with my hard earned money. :wink:

Kandern97

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Hm.. I'm pleased with my 3DS XL to be honest. And I don't give a damn about Xenoblade. If one can afford to buy a "New 3DS", then he/she should better buy a used Wii for 40 € and get Xenoblade and all the other good games that the Wii has to offer.

More for the money in every case, don't you agree? =)

Oh.. and I have a Gateway. But unlike other persons I support Nintendo and other companys with my hard earned money. :wink:
I love your sissel avatar

Reactions: Bimmel

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
ssspwn only allows crippled homebrew development, plus it needs a specific game.
I don't think that's big threat.
Except that it runs homebrew and with recent developments retail games can be packaged as homebrew. And a specific game is still much cheaper than a Gateway.

piratesephiroth

I wish I could read
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Except that it runs homebrew and with recent developments retail games can be packaged as homebrew. And a specific game is still much cheaper than a Gateway.
I've heard of this 'repack as homebrew' thing but I haven't seen any details.
Do you have any links talking about it?
Also remember how ssspwn is only being released because it doesn't allow piracy.

Naridar

Excelsior!
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
I think Gateway might go the SC2DS route and include an on-board CPU in a second revision that runs as the new 3DS' CPU. As for the second analog stick and ZL/ZR... a circle pad pro is cheaper than an entirely new console (it's only $20 after all)

Bimmel

~ Game Soundtrack Collector ~
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I love your sissel everyday cat that is by far not a main character in a certain video game avatar
Well, thanks. Love that game and the cat as well! Great artstyle :lol:

Played DanganRonpa for the last weeks, which was a lot of fun - but Ghost Trick is still the better game in my opinion.

For the topic: I don't believe that Nintendo did that only to flush Gateway down the toilet. It's their normal way of distributing old stuff to new customers.

Wii -> Wii Mini -> New Wii with no Gamecube support or plugs
Gameboy Advance -> Lite -> SP
DS -> Lite -> DSi -> DS XL (?)

To the exclusive New 3DS stuff: That won't work out. But Nintendo got a handle for this weird choices.
In Germany the Wii U commercials where like 20 seconds long with a man saying: The new console with a gamepad.

Could they make it more confusing? I doubt it.

How should an ordinary customer know what this stuff is or if it's new/old? Just an expansion to the console? "New" seems to be discussable on Nintendos side. ; )

Oak

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Games can be backwards compatible with older 3ds consoles. Developers just have to create controller profiles that get applied to the game based on what console you are using. Same with Graphic profiles. I'm sure Nintendo will do something like this.

Reactions: pedrobarca

Purple_Shyguy

Trophies
XP
Country
Seriously WTF is Nintendo doing?! Could they pls stop making a new version of their handhelds every two months?! how in the world shall the consumer market look through this chaos of 3ds and nds versions. The marketing department of Nintendo is sooooo bad!
I give nintendo maximum 5 years until they become insolvent. They will release maybe one next-gen console, but when it flops again, the end of Nintendo is near....

Yeah apple is going to go bankrupt if they keep releasing so many iphones amirite?

Reactions: NEP

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
The New 3DS has not only a faster CPU, but also double the RAM and VRAM. If a developer sets out to utilise the capabilities of the New 3DS fully, it might not be trivial to maintain regular 3DS compatibility. This is all some way down the line anyway.

There's no way that Gateway are going to source compatible CPUs and RAM chips, somehow fit them onto a 3DS-sized cartridge, and them get all that operating through the cartridge port while simultaneously running a game.

noki@

Trophies
XP
Country
The New 3DS has not only a faster CPU, but also double the RAM and VRAM. If a developer sets out to utilise the capabilities of the New 3DS fully, it might not be trivial to maintain regular 3DS compatibility. This is all some way down the line anyway.

The thing is as a developer do you want to release a game that only a small number of users can play or do you rather release a game that is compatible on all the 3DS systems, hence the entire user base?

Like I mentioned before I doubt many people with a 3ds/xl would buy a new 3ds/xl just because of colored buttons CPU and Ram ect...

Reactions: piratesephiroth

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: "pine unf apple" doesn't count! Lol