Hardware Hacking Homebrew Is my Wii U bricked?

koenergy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a Wii U that I hacked last 2018. I remember it was CBHC. It wasn't being used until now when it was returned to me.

So the problem is, there is no signal output. I tried reinserting my SD card, removing the external HDD (with games). I can sync my Wii U Pro Controller just fine (and turn it off through my controller too).

The main problem is the battery of my gamepad is busted. So I can't say for sure if it's a display issue or not.

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
[…]
The main problem is the battery of my gamepad is busted. So I can't say for sure if it's a display issue or not.
Replace the Gamepad battery. Takes just a minute. The Gamepad has a huge design flaw: Always on standby. When not using the console (and charging the Gamepad), the battery gets deep discharged within two or three weeks. Further self-discharge will destroy the battery. When not using a Wii U, disconnect the Gamepad battery while having it about 50%-60% charged. Verify charge levels of li-ion batteries not in use every six month and recharge if needed.

Hopefully the Gamepad is still synced to the console. Without TV output this could be a tedious manual bruteforce.
In case the Gamepad syncs and the console works with it, start the usual process of elimination:
  • Try another HDMI cable
  • Try another TV
  • Try the other, analogue output (the connector which also the Wii has). There were cases of defective HDMI on Wii U
    • As far as I know the Wii U doesn't turn on both and you would need to switch to analogue with the Gamepad Tested: Manually switching is required. A Wii component cable allowed me 480i, 480p, 576i, 720p and 1080i on my TV. Sadly 1080p failed. The output with good component cables is not really worse than HDMI. The cheap composite cable that came with the Wii by default will not allow any HD resolutions.

Good luck and have fun!

Last edited by KleinesSinchen,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nut on the hill