Hacking Is my PS3 hackable?

Gorkensnorkel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ideally, it seems then, I would want one of the later models capable of being downgraded to 3.55. That way I might have the best chance of finding a new(er) one. That list you posted isn't coming up for m but I found one that works, thanks.

Edit: I found this one here, http://www.amazon.com/Playstation-Slim-Sony-Firmware-3-55-3/dp/B00LR34Z6E

So I have just a couple more questions.

What is the lifespan of a used ps3? Do they last a long time or are they like the Xbox 360's that could die at any time without warning?

Are the rumors/websites for cfw for the newer ps3's with 4.75 and 4.76 true or BS?

And do you have any suggestions for which guide/tutorial is the best to follow when installing CFW? And what usb loader is best?

Last edited by Gorkensnorkel,

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
PS3s generally last a while, assuming they're not crammed in a place without any proper airflow and they aren't taken care of...but that's true for most consoles, really (including the 2 early 360 revisions that would "die any time"). As long as you stick with the slim revisions, you should have 0 problems regarding life span/YLOD issues.

Any PS3 above 3.55 cannot be hacked, 3.55 is a 100% absolute requirement for doing any software modding on any PS3. There are no jailbreaks or hacks for 3.56+, unless you're able to downgrade to 3.55 or you're install an ODDE. You'll see CFW's that are for later versions of the PS3, which are legitimate, but you MUST be on 3.55 to install them.

And there are a ton of tutorials out there, PS3hax is a good resource to check http://www.ps3hax.net/forumdisplay.php?f=127 You can even find people who will downgrade and install CFW for you, if you really wanted to.

Best USB loader is probably Multiman I would imagine, lots of support, works on all PS3s.

Gorkensnorkel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks again for the answers. I am fairly competent at following a good technical manual or tutorial for even the most advanced stuff but finding a good tutorial is another thing entirely. It's very much appreciated when someone who has been through the process takes the time to toss newcomers a few tips. It saves me days or even weeks of googling and watching YouTube videos, heh.

I am curious, after doing a little reading about usb loaders... (if anyone is still listening) I am reading external usb hard drives must be formatted to fat32 which has a file size limit of 4 GB... A lot of ps3 games are most likely larger than that, or at least a fair share of them, eh? Would it be more practical to just install a 1 terabyte internal hard drive then?

and... just one more thing and I'll go away!

Do I need to upgrade TO 3.55 before installing the CFW package because the ps3 I am looking at is OFW 3.40. Or can the MiralaTijera CFW 4.50 be installed on ANY OFW below 3.55? (just to clarify)

Last edited by Gorkensnorkel,

jimmysuggs

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just wanna confirm something here: Am I correct in assuming that a PS3 (super slim) running firmware 4.76 can never be downgraded and therefore never be jailbroken?

Short of swapping out the optical drive or doing something that requires soldering, etc?

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Correct, super slims can never have CFW installed.

Because you're on 4.70+, you won't be able to use ODDEs either, you're stuck with legit only I'm afraid. AFAIK there's no way to downgrade Super Slims, either.

Nirmonculus

Trophies
XP
Country
So all phats are downgradeable? I saw an ad selling a 40gb phat on sale. I want to buy it but I want to know if it can be hacked first...

Thanks if anyone confirms this.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
So I'm planning to buy a PS3 Slim from someone on Craigslist, and he tells me the model of it is 2001a 120GB. Is this hackable?
Yep, it can be downgraded to 3.55. You'll need a NOR flasher like the Progskeet or an E3 Flasher. Once it's downgraded to 3.55, you can go about installing CFW.

Reactions: ChaosBoi

ChaosBoi

Ushiromiya Battler
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Yep, it can be downgraded to 3.55. You'll need a NOR flasher like the Progskeet or an E3 Flasher. Once it's downgraded to 3.55, you can go about installing CFW.

Awesome! I expected I'd need some 3rd party tool, so it's good to know which ones to be exact. In terms of reliability though (as in less chance of a brick), is there a difference between progskeet and E3? I'd also like to know where would be a good place to purchase one in the US.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I like how Amazon just has one long Add to cart button now just in case I forget where it is +1