Is Mobile Gaming Taking Over the Gaming Industry?

Is mobile gaming a serious competitor to the gaming industry?

• Yes

Votes: 29 29.0%
  • No

Votes: 71 71.0%

• Total voters

MarkDarkness

Nocturnal
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Mobile games simply don't work as well as they should, unless their level of interaction is rather low. For instance, Jetpack Joyride is awesome; all the interaction it takes is a finger press. Whenever you attempt to get more sophisticated, the touchscreen simply can't deal with it well enough anymore. Even things that LOOK as if they should play well, don't. Aquaria, for instace, looked like a good proposition... it's more or less point-and-click, but nah, it just lacks the response of a real controller/keyboard/mouse. Those input mediums are so much faster, reliable, and plus, they don't stain all over and smudge the damn screen.

Adventure games are an exception to the rule, I guess... SCUMMVM works rather well, as do native games such as Machinarium.

But there will always be an industry for mobile games. It's just that now the very casual players are migrating. But I doubt you'll ever be hard-pressed to sell Pokémon, Megami Tensei, Animal Crossing and so on... it's just that the simpler games and players are moving away to something more intuitive to them. I see people a busses and the shit they play is fucking unbelievable. Somebody who plays hours of Candy Crush a day REALLY doesn't need a fucking 3DS.

D

Deleted-188346

Yet, with the decline of sales on the console front; for instance the Wii U, it slowly becomes apparent that mobile games are, in fact, rustling the feathers of these gaming companies.
You're suggesting that mobile games are the reason for the decline of the Wii U, based on what exactly? It couldn't possibly be that the Wii U:
- Currently has a poor selection of games.
- Is poorly marketed.
- Has failed to deliver games that interest several major demographics of gamers.
- Has to compete with the far more powerful PS4 and Xbox One on the horizon of which have gargantuan franchises announced for them.

Nope. Mobile gaming. People often browse the iTunes store and weigh up between purchasing a $2 game or a several hundred dollar Wii U system.

Reactions: GameWinner

Kirito-kun

Disciple of GabeN
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well, there is a way to play high-quality games on mobile devices. By using a virtual desktop program such a splashtop, it's very possible to stream games from a networked PC to a mobile device and play it on said mobile device.

If such techniques become popular, it's GG for dedicated handhelds. Why play 3DS games on the go when you can play Skyrim or Battlefield 3 on a tablet?

With Valve pushing streaming technology and internet bandwidth increasing, it is likely that mobile gaming will eventually evolve to a server-terminal model.

BlackWizzard17

Don't worry Captin we'll buff out those scratches.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Personally don't know what's so good about mobile gaming.
I hate touch screen it's hard to play games that look like AAA titles(yeah I can get a controller but I have a ps3 for that),I'd rather prefer a mouse and keyboard and I don't even play on a PC. Yes it's very easy to to pull out a phone and play games but to what extent. I picked a copy of Mario and luigi dream team for 3ds and I'm already 20 hours+ into it but I can't say I hav spent more than two hours into a game app. Sure I'm not other people but i just don't see moble gaming hitting us to the point it out performs or can give a real expirence I had with a ps3, heck I'll even say ps2,n64,psx,GameCube,wii,snes,3ds,ect.

Sure moble gaming is great and it sells fine but I'd prefer my handheld, or console over my piece of junk iPhone that constantly need to be upgraded because apples a piece of shit. Long live Nintendo handhelds (and Sony some what).

Hop2089

Cute>Hot
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
relminator

I dig ya, Fire Emblem is awesome and so is Valkyrie Profile, wish they would make Fire Emblem games quicker and would make another game in the Valkyrie profile series. And like you said, RPGs are so mission-based now adays, it is kind of boring/stale, the format of how you progress through the game is important to me as well, so many games just have it where you go to some "guild" or something and play through missions/quests off a list, and in mobile games you have levels and you just go from one level to the other with no connecting element or sense of a greater game, if that makes sense.

It's not necessarily bad but sometimes it gets boring and I like a different approach to things is all

I can't stand guild quests either, they feel like a chore, even worse in many games, you have to do them to get decent equipment or items to forge decent equipment, I rather just farm the items when I want to grind without going on a boring fetch quest. The Tales of games have become worse with this aspect especially, and I hope Exstetra doesn't have a lot of this.

Ryukouki

See you later, guys.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also, do tablet also count as mobile gaming? Because if they do, I bring to your attention the Razer Edge Pro.

High-quality mobile gaming.

Well, that's a curious little tablet. And yeah, sure, why not count tablets as mobile gaming devices? :P

Blazer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can't stand guild quests either, they feel like a chore, even worse in many games, you have to do them to get decent equipment or items to forge decent equipment, I rather just farm the items when I want to grind without going on a boring fetch quest. The Tales of games have become worse with this aspect especially, and I hope Exstetra doesn't have a lot of this.

Aye, I like the Tales of games a lot but it stinks when I'm really behind etc. because I don't grind, don't go for sidequests, etc., the game shouldn't be so much harder/more annoying just because I don't want to do stuff I usually consider extras.

Balancing difficulty has always been an issue with video games, ultimately we're still doing things like "modes" and not implementing difficulty curves that suit the player... with exception, there are SOME games the difficulty is more dynamic (IIRC Naruto Shippuuden Ultimate Ninja Storm 3 made battles easier every time you retried... TWEWY gave you the option to retry on easy if the boss was too hard... stuff like this). But for the most part you need to set the difficulty beforehand or else the game requires you to do tedious work just to progress in the main game. And putting a game on easy mode is an insult and can often times make the game less enjoyable. I just wanna play normal or hard mode without spending hours in preparations first. SMT IV, where generic enemies 1-shot you even in easy mode, unless you ground, and easy mode requires 2 deaths to unlock, which is a huge slap in the face... I'm looking at you

YamiZee

Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Honestly the mobile platform has great potential to support great games! Sadly, the only things I can ever find in the app and google play stores are dumb simplistic games like angry birds or whatever fads are in atm. There may be some gems in there, but it's way too cluttered. I believe in the capability for awesome hardcore games on the platform, I just don't think people are taking advantage of it.

I also think people should make gamepad frames for mobiles more accessible, and make more games for to be specifically be played by such a controller.

kenjixx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
I dun think that mobile gaming gonna take over because the whole mobile phone environment is a mess. It's easier for me to go for 3DS or PSvita then going through every available phone choice. Mobile device can be outdated in hardware and lost manufacturer OS support very fast when you are not owning flagship device that cost a fortune. I am not sure how well can a Mobile device perform without the latest hardware and OS but if it's gonna be a main thing in the future this kind of issue gonna really ruin gaming experience
For me mobile device are meant to just serve it's basic function such making call and sending message. I am not going to get the best model to do those basic stuff and also not gonna update it frequently only to play the latest game that push the limit of the device

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: cool. What games?