1. campbell0505

OP campbell0505 Advanced Member
    Newcomer

Australia
    Edit: I ended up picking it up about half an hour ago, and it's updating now. Thanks to everyone for their input!

I’ve owned my switch since May 2018 and have enjoyed it, and still play it a lot, however, one thing I don’t like is how games are still pretty expensive. Yes, I can homebrew mine, but I don’t want to get it banned, so I only use Android and Lakka on mine, ones that can’t get me banned.

However, I owned a Wii and then skipped the Wii U and went to switch. There are some games I want to try on the Wii U, and considering it’s easily homebrewable, and you get games unethically for it, would you say it’s still worth it? Are the emulators good on it too? My friend offered me his for $70 AUD (around $45 USD) a couple of weeks ago Now hes offering for $65 AUD ($41 USD), I don’t know the condition of it or what storage or colour it is, but it seems like a decent deal since they’re mostly going for $100 AUD+. Just wondering if it’s still worth it in 2020 when I already own a switch.

Last edited by campbell0505, May 17, 2020
    alexander1970 likes this.
  2. SG854

SG854 If It Bleeds, We Can Kill It

Comoros
    No

slaphappygamer likes this.
  3. Jayinem81

Jayinem81 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Wii U + Wii + Gamecube = easy yes. Plus you get a decent amount of DS and N64 (about 50% compatibility) I've got all of them on my Wii U menu, so I say easy yes.

Broduskii, eduall, Hoppy and 4 others like this.
  4. SG854

Comoros
    I change my opinion

Yes

5. campbell0505

Newcomer

Australia
    Appreciate it. I'm still not 100% sure if I'll get it, but considering all the things it can do, it's pretty convincing. I've still got my Wii, but the only times I've played GameCube games is on my Switch when it's running Android, so even just for gamecube I'd reckon it'd be decent, since gamecubes are selling for $100+ AUD.

Also never owned a 64, and have only played a couple 64 games on emulators, so playing them on Wii U would be good.

Broduskii likes this.
  6. slaphappygamer

slaphappygamer GBAPerm

United States
    With so many good ports, no. Save money and get a wii to hack instead. It’s much cheaper. :)

teamlocust likes this.
  7. Jayinem81

United States
    Well on the other hand a hacked Switch can play a lot of N64 games, probably more than Wii U, and it also has MelonDS for DS games. But to me just Wii U + Wii + Gamecube is enough considering it's not that expensive.

8. SG854

Comoros
    Wii U $45

Zense likes this.
  9. Jayinem81

United States
    You could also go the route of just keeping the Wii true, but there's still some exclusive Wii U games that didn't come to Switch like Super Mario 3D World, Xenoblade Chronicles X. It just depends if you're interested in them, But I prefer having 300 games of all of those systems I mentioned on the Wii U menu personally. I never liked the setup in Wii.

Last edited by Jayinem81, May 17, 2020
    campbell0505 likes this.
  10. SG854

Comoros
    U already got Wii
    I change my opinion again

No

eduall likes this.
  11. Jayinem81

United States
    But, Xenoblade Chronicles X. Change your opinion again.

Zense likes this.
  12. SG854

Comoros
    Damn You!!!!

Buy a PC for emulation, problem solved

Broduskii and Zense like this.
  13. Jayinem81

United States
    Damn, if you don't already have one then you're talking like the price of 7 to 8 Wii Us for that lol.

Zense likes this.
  14. campbell0505

Newcomer

Australia
    That's true, but I don't feel that good about homebrewing my switch as of right now, as it's my main system alongside my xbox one, so I don't want to accidentally get it banned.

I've already got a Wii, and I would be able to save money as a lot of Wii U games have been ported to switch, and I have only brought a few of those ports (Mario Kart, BOTW (depending on if you see it as a port or not), LEGO City Undercover), so I could still play some of the Wii U ports on their original software, without having to buy a $80 switch game.

I have but I don't really play it much anymore, and Wii U games look a lot better than Wii games imo.

15. Captain_N

Captain_N GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    $45 for a wii U is a steal. The gamepad alone is worth $80. You should get it.

16. campbell0505

Newcomer

Australia
    Yeah I might get it, but still not 100% sure. I mean, I've been looking at getting one since they came out, I think I'd be able to hold of buying this since I've already waited 7 years, but it's also pretty cheap, so I don't know.

17. Captain_N

United States
    If i was at a flea market or a garage sale and saw a wii U for $45, Id buy even tho i already have 2.

Jayinem81 likes this.
  18. campbell0505

Newcomer

Australia
    If you don't mind me asking, why do you have 2? Is one homebrewed and one stock?

19. Captain_N

United States
    One is my original stock one. The other one is a white model that i bought to put into my wii u Kiosk(Store Display) that i got from gamestop. The wii U will be expensive in the future as there was less the 15 million sold world wide. Im also a collector, so there is that.

Zense likes this.
  20. slaphappygamer

slaphappygamer GBAPerm

United States
    Isn’t that just the console? Don’t you need both the console and the remote part?

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - already, buying, switch