Is it worth buying a new PS2+Mod it?

Discussion in 'Sony PlayStation 1 & 2' started by SavageWaffle, Feb 21, 2008.

1. SavageWaffle
    OP

SavageWaffle GBAtemp Maniac

Jan 13, 2008
    United States
    New York
    This will probubly happend next year because im saving money for a Xbox 360. I dont want a PS3 but im interested in PS2. Is it worth buying a new PS2(Slim probably) and mod it? I have NEVER soldered anything. I dont want to risk the chance. So if possible, is it possible to not solder a PS2 or Softmod it? I never softmodded either. So im not that experienced.

And what are some "good" games for the PS2?

2. Agjsdfd

Agjsdfd My title

Apr 18, 2007
    Arctica
    You can use "Swapmagic".
    No need to solder [​IMG]

3. SavageWaffle
    OP

Jan 13, 2008
    United States
    New York
    What is "Swapmagic"?

4. SavageWaffle
    OP

Jan 13, 2008
    United States
    New York
  5. mastermanna123

mastermanna123 GBAtemp Regular

Jan 17, 2008
    United States
    Under your bed.
    Yea. I got my PS2 modded a month ago. It's not the fact that the ps2 was last gen. but LOOK at its HUGE library of games!!!

6. SavageWaffle
    OP

Jan 13, 2008
    United States
    New York
    I pretty much got every Next Gen. Console. I have a Wii, had a Xbox 360 Arcade but sold it(saving money to buy premium version), but im not into overpriced stuff(PS3). Just rather buy PS2.

7. TheNeck

TheNeck GBAtemp Fan

Jun 27, 2007
    United States
    Southern California
    Check out the Memor32 as an option to mod your ps2.

The only games recently that I liked for the ps2 is God of War1&2.

8. amptor

amptor Banned

Banned
    May 2, 2003
    United States
    I'll lay it down to you like this.

PS2 has a lot of games so I say it is worth having.

If you have an xbox360, you probably won't hardly touch your PS2 any more. The graphics on 360 are superior is why and also 360 has xbox live.

I own 3 ps2's, I haven't even touched one in over half a year.

9. SavageWaffle
    OP

Jan 13, 2008
    United States
    New York
    I don't care about graphics much. I still have my Super Nintendo. I still love Mario. Although good graphics would be great, i don't really care much.

Question to all, What does PAL stand/mean? On http://www.swapmagic3.com/Swap_Magic_Compatibility.asp
    (its a game comparability list) it says "USA,JPN,PAL". I would like to know what PAL is.

10. MC DUI

MC DUI GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Nov 30, 2003
    Newcastle, Australia
    PAL is a television standard, but these days it is most often used to refer to a gaming region that includes all of Europe and the Asia Pacific region.

Quite often NTSC and PAL games won't work on each other's system due to region coding on the games.

If you want to mod a PS2 just go and get a modchip installed, screw swap magic and screw patching games (Which I believe you have to do with that Memor32 card). You don't want to be pissing about trying to get games working you will just want them to boot no problems, your best bet for that is a modchip.

11. SavageWaffle
    OP

Jan 13, 2008
    United States
    New York
    I have NO soldering skills at all. I dont want to risk blowing $130. I'd rather go the safer way and spend a few more cash on buying DVD+R,etc's.

12. link459

link459 GBAtemp Fan

Oct 17, 2006
    United States
    Have someone mod it for you.

Don't listen to anybody else, I don't get how anyone can stand swapping a disc every single time. Swap Magic drove me insane.

13. raulpica

raulpica With your drill, thrust to the sky!

Supervisor
    Oct 23, 2007
    Italy
    PowerLevel: 9001
    I have a Swap Magic in my PS2 Slim... Yeah, you have to swap it everytime, but it has its good points. My PS2 Slim blew up 2 times, and I've send it into warranty without problems by just removing the little Swapmagic pieces from the drive [​IMG]

Hmmm... Good games for PS2... Metal Gear Solid 2 and 3, Katamari Damacy, We Love Katamari, Guilty Gear XX, Soul Calibur 2 and 3... uuhh... can't think of others [​IMG]

14. jalaneme

jalaneme Female Gamer

Nov 27, 2006
    London
    i agree, thats why i brought a premod matrix infnity slim ps2, i still have the old swap magic discs though, but yeah the swapping was higly annoying

15. Twiffles

Twiffles танковые победы

Sep 6, 2007
    Gambia, The
  16. Agjsdfd

Agjsdfd My title

Apr 18, 2007
    Arctica
    Yah boy, heard of it.
    What exactly does it do though?
    Does it require swapping or what?
    Do you softmod the ps2 with that thingy or do you have to plug it in everytime you use it?

17. Twiffles

Twiffles танковые победы

Sep 6, 2007
    Gambia, The
    It's basically a modchip in the size of a PS2 memory card. You don't need to swap discs, just put them in the PS2 and go. It doesn't soft mod the PS2 in any way. BUT you have to patch every PS2 ISO you want to play (takes not even a second) and yes you have to have the memory stick inside a slot when you want to use it. I think it can be used as a standard memory card too.

18. 50 Ways To Get F

50 Ways To Get F Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 7, 2006
    Madagascar
    If money is factor, I would just buy a used PS2 locally then buy the Swap Magic Discs online.

This is my super cheap set-up:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Over 5 years with this system, no problems yet .. why waste money on a flip top or those sissy cards?

19. NeSchn

NeSchn GBAPimpdaddy.

Oct 4, 2007
    United States
    Troy,New York PimpStatus: King
    Ghetto. But if it works then its good.

20. Taziz

Taziz GBAtemp Regular

Aug 6, 2007
    Lithuania
    off topic why still people thinking that ps3 is overpriced ? because it isn't, damn you fan boy and cheapskates who can't buy there own games [​IMG]