Siegesmund

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hey guys,

I just wanted to hear some experienced opinions just to be on the safe side.
I recently got a PS2, it had issues where games froze on occasion, so I took it apart and cleaned the internals, including the laser lens. The bars for the laser had no grease and since I don’t have it either, I put some lubricant (out of a spraycan) on it. Put it back together. Since then it’s been working perfectly fine. But I’ve noticed that Doom (for PS1) takes ages to read (20-30secs), regular PS2 games take me to the menu after starting up the console for 1-2 seconds and then load in. Is the laser on its last legs or is this common?
Today, roughly 3 weeks later, I’ve put a new game in and the drive started to make double clicking sounds twice. Now I‘m not sure what causes it.
And before I head off to eBay and buy a laser I just wanted to hear you out. What’s the most reliable way out of it?

Thanks a bunch!

master801

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What model do you have?

Hopefully it's not a SCPH-3000XR model...

Try cleaning the laser with isoprophyl alcohol first.

Then you can try adjusting the laser pots (CD and DVD have individual pots.) You'll need a digital multimeter and a screwdriver. But take note of what values the pots are, because you may need to revert back. And don't go too low, otherwise you'll burn the laser out.

Optional, but recommended:
If you do replace the laser, train the Mechacon afterwards. https://www.psx-place.com/threads/playstation-2-mechacon-adjustment-program-pmap.9530/

If that still doesn't work, the capacitors in the disc drive circuit may be dying (happens a lot on disc-no-read PS1 consoles.)

Reactions: Siegesmund

Siegesmund

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
What model do you have?

Hopefully it's not a SCPH-3000XR model...

Try cleaning the laser with isoprophyl alcohol first.

Then you can try adjusting the laser pots (CD and DVD have individual pots.) You'll need a digital multimeter and a screwdriver. But take note of what values the pots are, because you may need to revert back. And don't go too low, otherwise you'll burn the laser out.

Optional, but recommended:
If you do replace the laser, train the Mechacon afterwards. https://www.psx-place.com/threads/playstation-2-mechacon-adjustment-program-pmap.9530/

If that still doesn't work, the capacitors in the disc drive circuit may be dying (happens a lot on disc-no-read PS1 consoles.)
Thanks, it’s a fat model (SCPH 300004) and I‘ve already cleaned the lens.
I thought maybe the bars need some proper grease, is lithium grease required or does silicon etc work too?

master801

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks, it’s a fat model (SCPH 300004) and I‘ve already cleaned the lens.
I thought maybe the bars need some proper grease, is lithium grease required or does silicon etc work too?
I recommend using lithium grease for metal parts, but silicone grease works as well if you can't find any. But make sure to use actual grease and not spray lubricant. Spray lubricant works, but is not a long term solution.

The disc drive mechanism should be disassembled and the rails should be cleaned with isoprophyl alcohol before adding grease.

Also, you never specified what clicking sound you heard.

Is it clicking from the laser lens or the drive mechanism?

Reactions: Siegesmund

Siegesmund

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I recommend using lithium grease for metal parts, but silicone grease works as well if you can't find any. But make sure to use actual grease and not spray lubricant. Spray lubricant works, but is not a long term solution.

The disc drive mechanism should be disassembled and the rails should be cleaned with isoprophyl alcohol before adding grease.

Also, you never specified what clicking sound you heard.

Is it clicking from the laser lens or the drive mechanism?
I‘ve found multipurpose grease at home, I know it’s not silicon or lithium but I wanted to give it a try, and it worked. The game didn’t freeze at the same cutscene anymore.
Later I turned it on again and the clicking came back (sounds exactly like this , so I guess it’s drive mechanism?).
And yes I cleaned the bars before applying grease.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I did use a bot for Diablo III though but no ban there lol