Hacking PS1/2 Modding Slim PS2

bobfacemoo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi all,
Got my hands on two ps2 consoles.
One is a 70003 model and one is a 77003 model. Wondering which would be best to softmod with FMCB and what capabilities the slim has over a phat 39001 that I'm currently using? I know there's a few benefits.

Would prefer to mod the 70003 as I believe that will have hardware ps1 and not emulated ps1 which I believe the 77003 will have?

I already have a FMCB memory card ready so wondering what the best course of action will be with these.

Many thanks!

master801

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
what capabilities the slim has over a phat 39001
Not much, if any at all imo.

The slim models have better reliability, Mechapwn (which will load backup discs burned as a specific format), integrated ethernet port, and that's about it.

Would prefer to mod the 70003 as I believe that will have hardware ps1 and not emulated ps1 which I believe the 77003 will have?
Yes. The 700XX models still have the PS1 CPU as the IOP. Not that it'll matter much since compatibility will about the same either way (albeit slightly worse on the 770XX).

Loading PS1 games through the emulator (OPL + POPStarter) will not be a good experience on either model. Stick to backup discs if you plan on using them.

https://www.psx-place.com/threads/o...-drive-emulator-discussion.36461/#post-337994

770XX will not work the greatest for certain PS1 games, either. Since it's incompatible with certain titles.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_...e_with_PlayStation_2#SCPH-750XX_to_SCPH-900XX

And iirc, on certain PS2 models, some PS2 games will be completely incompatible.

Since you're using FMCB, if you don't like using it on one console, you can just switch over to the other one with not much hassle.

tl;dr Pick one and run with it. They're about the same either way you go.

SylverReZ

The planet is fine. The people are crazy.
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
What capabilities the slim has over a phat 39001 that I'm currently using? I know there's a few benefits.
Not a whole lot. Differences are that the slim model has the expansion port removed, however, the IDE bus is still present meaning its possible to solder an IDE to SD card adapter. Slims have a tendancy to crash the mechacon caused by burned media or scratched disc, thus overvolting the laser power and burning it out quickly.

Several fixes exist like the Neo Fix, diode fix and the infamous Matrix PIC fix, I highly recommend installing the PIC fix in combination paired with the diode fix to reduce the voltage overrun and to preserve the lifespan of the laser. The PIC fix works by immediately shutting off the system if it detects the mechacon seizing up.

Fien

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
The PIC fix is not needed for the SCPH-77003 slim, but only for the SCPH-70003 slim so far I know?

And if you ever want to play SingStar using SMB, I think the 77003 will be a better choice. On non-Deckard PS2's the sound of that game will crack when played over SMB.

Reactions: SylverReZ

SylverReZ

The planet is fine. The people are crazy.
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The PIC fix is not needed for the SCPH-77003 slim, but only for the SCPH-70003 slim so far I know?
Most slims are commonly affected by this issue as far as I know. I highly recommend installing the PIC fix just in-case, you never know when its going to burn out your laser. ;)

alex3107

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Later slim models like most GH-032 and some GH-035 boards (an example is GH-032-13, 6.04 MechaCon) has actually a fix (bottom side) installed by Sony on their mainboard while GH-032-34 and GH-035-42/43 the fix is at the top side

Last edited by alex3107,
  • Wow
Reactions: zfreeman

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: The Castlevania game was on the PS1 so that's cool +1