Homebrew Discussion Is it too early for a Switch homebrew bounty?

Is it too early for a Switch homebrew bounty?

• Definitely too early

Votes: 14 8.4%
  • A little early, but having a competition could boost the scene

Votes: 69 41.3%
  • It's a good time to run a homebrew bounty

Votes: 75 44.9%
  • I'm not involved in the scene enough to know

Votes: 9 5.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Maybe developers should only present new projects? so, if someone is currently working on something he better not talk/release it yet :)

library is maybe not good, but it didn't prevent games like flappy bird NX :lol:
a game is a game !
(though, flappy is a port, using someone else resources, it wouldn't get my vote)

Last edited by Cyan,
Reactions: Subtle Demise
D

Deleted User

It's a really tough call since current utilities are absolutely stellar and frankly if I was rich I'd be handing out dozens of rewards to people both in the hardware and software sides of the scene. Even just from a support point of view some members here have gone above and beyond to help others even if they haven't created something themselves.

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Since 6.0 stands around the corner. It's to early according to me, but competition would be nice.

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is one of those rare times that we discovered an exploit that far exceeds what homebrew can be capable of. Usually, we got a wait a few years before an exploit that gives us enough access to the console where homebrew can go to the next level. But not only did it happen one year after the console came out, it works on all firmwares. Not to mention that the gimmick of the Switch is appealing to both developers and hackers as you get all the power of a console with the portability of a handheld. I don't think the question is whether we're too early or not but rather what's the limit of the hacking scene?

Xandrid

Trophies
XP
Country
Nigeria
Well with how easy it is to start hacking (Until Markio or whatever the new revision is called) and how many Switches there are out already, I think it would be a good time. We have a Homebrew Store, Menu, and various types of cfw, I say it time to start added high end stuff to the field. Not that there isn't now, I'm just saying

Last edited by Xandrid,
Reactions: ccprodigy
D

Deleted-351540

Absolutely not. I'd definitely help fund a bounty for an on-console cheat engine similar to VitaCheat for the PS Vita or Artemis for the PS3. Bonus cash for finding a way to make it strictly "offline" only.

Reactions: Subtle Demise

Fadi5555

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It’ll be a great idea for having homebrew to make us using ps3/4 controllers without having 3rd party adapter.
As an emulator I wish we can get a standard version of dolphin on horizon.
Also a plugin to overclock horizon os like lakka did.
Finally implement gpu drivers including vulkan api.

If we can see these things as a bounty it’ll be our pleasure to give them some support.

Last edited by Fadi5555,

isoboy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How about doing something simple like "who can make the most unique Snake game"? There's not a lot you can do with that so you'd have to be creative I guess.

wicksand420

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It would be great if the switch scene was like the wii scene. There where so many great homebrews for the wii, and a competition would defiantly help that along.

Reactions: zoogie

zoogie

playing around in the end of life
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of
What's there to lose? Bounties do not really need a timeline right? Although I see competitions being throw in here too so I could be misunderstanding what a bounty is in this context.
This is a good point. HB bounties are usually an unreasonably short time frame like 6 weeks. Why not 6 months? Good software takes time, especially in a nascent scene like the Switch has right now.

I mean, no one bats an eyelid when a professional game product takes 1-2 sometimes 5 years to make. And these projects have full staffs of people even.

By the way, a little encouragement about the status of Switch GFX lib progress:
Failed to fetch tweet https://twitter.com/fincsdev/status/1036235903176519680

Let's just get this bounty officially started and stop overthinking things.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
HB bounties are usually an unreasonably short time frame like 6 weeks. Why not 6 months? Good software takes time, especially in a nascent scene like the Switch has right now.
I thought about 3 months to let people hack their console, learn the new environment, work on their project, etc.
6 months is maybe a lot, people might forget there's a bounty currently running?
of course more time is always better for good and big project, but I felt short delay might also be a good competition, showing what people can do like the "a game a day" competition.
It might depends how much bounties we would like to held in the future.

We will discuss that internally :)

Idaho

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I very much like the idea of a homebrew bounty, if you do one now, please do one when the graphic libraries for libnx are released too, if you have to choose between doing one now and one when the libraries release, then please do one when these are done, I want to see great homebrews, ports and emulators taking advantage of those capabilities :))

Last edited by Idaho,

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
port and emu will be done even without a bounty, because someone already wants it done. It's just easier to port something existing too.
it's more fun to create new games when we do a contest. everybody have the same starting point : nothing ! no previous work or resources.

it doesn't prevent making other contest for opengl ports or emulators, or exploit, or applications. I just find it more fun to create something new, instead of the "usual" batch of emulators and open source game engine ports. (quake/doom/descent/etc.), we already have them on all consoles, isn't it boring now ? Everybody cry about the switch being a "Portendo", let's not limit homebrew to ports too.

Last edited by Cyan,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_NTF5_qgH0o