Homebrew Discussion Is it too early for a Switch homebrew bounty?

Is it too early for a Switch homebrew bounty?

• Definitely too early

Votes: 14 8.4%
  • A little early, but having a competition could boost the scene

Votes: 69 41.3%
  • It's a good time to run a homebrew bounty

Votes: 75 44.9%
  • I'm not involved in the scene enough to know

Votes: 9 5.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Costello

Headmaster
OP
Administrator
Trophies
XP
Hi everyone,

As you all know, we at GBAtemp like to organize what we call "homebrew bounties" - competitions in which the best homebrew get awesome prizes.
We were wondering if the Switch scene is ripe enough to hold such a bounty now. What do you think?

Vote here :)

previous editions: https://www.google.com/search?q=gbatemp+homebrew+bounty

Enkuler

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
From my point of view, it depends. Do you plan on running this kind of stuff "frequently"?
If so, it doesn't matter if that precise occurrence is too early.
If not, well I don't know what the status of emunand in CFW is, but maybe some people are waiting for that before hacking anything and they won't be able to participate.

zoogie

playing around in the end of life
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of
(Please) don't make the mistake again of waiting until a scene is almost dead before starting a bounty (ahem 3ds).
I think it's a bit too early. I would wait some months.
Good idea. Lets wait until almost all new, off-the-shelf systems are ipatched and unhackable before starting.

Last edited by zoogie,

mattytrog

You don`t want to listen to anything I say.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I think it will move the scene on nicely. LibNX will get better given time and this will clearly be an incentive to improve it.

In my opinion, we are blessed with the switch. Having such a moddable console, wide open.

Nintendo, if it was clever, could actually EMBRACE this new-found openness of the console.

Rather than panic the T210 is bust wide-open...
They could have developer competitions,
have a developer mode for end-users... etc.

This could actually be the console to give Android a kicking, or even allow dual-boot.

Their online system is getting more secure, so piracy would be kept to a minimum.

This console could be the epitome of freedom if they choose.

PS3 and Xbox would lose custom to the switch as there would be many many more apps (ignoring the sandbox UWP platform).

But I would have to wait for this hole in my arse healing up first sadly...

SkittleDash

Head Nurse
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Yeah, definitely. Switch scene is all fired up and there have been so many great releases like Lakka, Checkpoint, pSNES, etc. I don't see why we can't start one. Should be a interesting competition.

tunip3

[debugger active]
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
what about homebrew game development specifically ? are libraries sufficiently advanced yet? or is it too complicated to develop complex home made games yet ?
It is to early for game development but not hb if you allow people to build using the leaked switch unity then mabye

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Maybe a little too early, because CFW are not all officially released (atmosphere). but there are already a lot of homebrew, so it's not a real issue.
Maybe the library and SDK is not perfected yet like said above, but again it didn't prevent lot of homebrew we already have.

I think touchscreen, sound, network are working. access to SD too (to load resources)
Only internal access is still not possible?
GPU is maybe not fully documented/accessed? is SDL still the only possible method?

Game creation (not a port) is a nice idea, it'll change from the usual and unique emulation scene.
One thing I'd like to see one day, is return of demoscene :D
but, I don't know if people are interested, or if they even know about it, it's kind of old.

a little early, but it can boost homebrew. Maybe even create new libraries for other homebrew developers to use.

Last edited by Cyan,
Reactions: Subtle Demise

Slimmmmmm

GBAtemp MoNkEeE
Trophies
XP
Country
It is a little bit early for any really advance games, but there are many apps that could be developed imho.

I think overall it is a good time however. Gbatemp will encourage some people to finish up things they are working on, look for new avenues for homebrew and help with the momentum as it slows down a little after the initial surge to release "something" on a newly hackable console.

I hope the homebrew bounty does happen and sure it will :D

Reactions: Costello

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night