is it safe to reset a modded wii back to factory setting?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by blueagent1999, Aug 25, 2018.

1. blueagent1999
    OP

blueagent1999 GBAtemp Regular

Mar 9, 2017
    Hong Kong
    today i bought a used wii to play with my friend. this is the first time i've purchased the Wii
    the previous owner had installed homebrew channel + GX USB loader on it
    but he has removed the SD card prior to selling the console to me
    so now the main Wii menu is just a plethora of useless shourtcuts to his old homebrews
    the wii console is currently on firmware 4.3E, and seems to be a launch model RVL-001
    i have no idea if it has been mod-chipped or not.

in any case, i wish to reset the wii console back to factory setting, then do a fresh reinstall of letterbomb & Homebrew channel so i can put Nintendont on it.

do you think there's a risk of bricking the console if i factory reset it?

or should i just leave things as it is? (i've never owned a wii before so i just want to be on the safe side)

thanks so much for your help!

UPDATE:
    I ran SysCheck on my console, then loaded the SysCheck file into ModWii, everything goes well until the program freezes while it was grabbing all the updates for me. i tried over and over with ModWii but it always freezes at "0000005 wrote at 87616", it might be an issue with my computer since i'm using WindowsXP. anways the SysCheck results are as follows:

SysCheck Results:

Last edited by blueagent1999, Aug 25, 2018
  2. Ryccardo

Ryccardo and his tropane alkaloids

Feb 13, 2015
    Italy
    Imola
    You can factory reset a Wii just fine: the "exception" is if it has preloader/priiloader installed, in which case the actual Wii Menu will be removed (but you can always go directly from those homebrews to a wad manager, and reinstall a known compatible Wii Menu [and a known working matched IOS for it])

In any case you don't gain much, simply removing the channels you don't care about (and reinstalling CIOS 249 using d2x V8 or V10-52) will get you a console pretty much equivalent to a brand new and softmodded-in-the-last-2-years one; then just put the homebrews you want on it

blueagent1999 likes this.
  3. blueagent1999
    OP

Mar 9, 2017
    Hong Kong
    thanks for the advice! i'm not really sure if it has prilloader installed or not, so i think i'll just leave the console as it is now.

i managed to remove non-functional channels like you suggested.

earlier i was under the impression that i would need to re-create/re-make the contents of the previous owner's original SD-CARD in order for the homebrew channel to function properly, but it seems like that wasn't necessary afterall. i simply putted my homebrews on a blank SD card and the homebrew channel was able to read it just fine. everything is working great now.

thanks for your help!

4. Zyvyn

Zyvyn GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 9, 2017
    United States
    you can check for priloaderby holding RESET on boot if a menu pops up then you have it

5. Ryccardo

Ryccardo and his tropane alkaloids

Feb 13, 2015
    Italy
    Imola
    The only thing required by the HBC is any number of homebrews, each with the appropriate filenames in a subfolder of /apps/ on the SD (or USB, or an SD Gecko)

(Strictly speaking, you can run the HBC just fine without any storage device containing homebrews, or any storage device at all... :P )

6. blueagent1999
    OP

Mar 9, 2017
    Hong Kong
    i checked it just now and it looks like there's no priloader on the console.

thank goodness! i almost went mad trying to re-create the previous owner's original sd-card, i'm so glad i don't have to do it anymore!

thanks again for all your help everyone!