Homebrew I factory reset my hacked wii and now can't get the homebrew channel back

Kanight

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
EDIT: SOLVED: I tried using the str2hax method and it worked. Apearently (at least in my case) the letterbomb method did not work because I already used it once before I factory reset my Wii. The reason the str2hax method didn't work the first time is because (embarassingly) I typed the dns code into the ip section instead of the dns section :wink:

So yeah also if you're thinking of factory reseting your modded wii, it does NOT virginize it/clean it of hacks and mods, unlike what the top google search said at the time. :teach: So just keep that in mind, and if you need to get the homebrew channel back after factory resseting it, try the str2hax method if the letterbomb method does not work. (and make sure to type the dns code into the dns section not the ip section lol)

Thanks for your help guys, mad respect for spending your time being so helpful in the community and responding so quickly. :)

I apologize in advance if anything I say is dumb or nooby.

So yeah I wanted to sell my hacked wii and heard that factory reseting it unhacks it. Anyway I changed my mind and didn't want to sell it but I tried re hacking it using letter bomb and it didn't work.

Thing is pretty sure it's still hacked from before I factory reset it because my homemenu theme is still on there and priiloader still works. It's just theres no homebrew channel.

Any idea how to reinstall the homebrew channel on an already hacked wii. Pretty sure it just was on there when I used letter bomb the first time but now I can't use that.

I tried booting up the homebrew channel from priiloader and it gave an error saying: "Error autobooting HBC. maybe title not installed?"

So if anyone knows how to get the Homebrew Channel back on an already hacked wii please let me know, thanks.

Last edited by Kanight,
Reactions: jeannotte

JuanMena

90's Kid, Old Skull Gamer & Artist
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I apologize in advance if anything I say is dumb or nooby.

So yeah I wanted to sell my hacked wii and heard that factory reseting it unhacks it. Anyway I changed my mind and didn't want to sell it but I tried re hacking it using letter bomb and it didn't work.

Thing is pretty sure it's still hacked from before I factory reset it because my homemenu theme is still on there and priiloader still works. It's just theres no homebrew channel.

Any idea how to reinstall the homebrew channel on an already hacked wii. Pretty sure it just was on there when I used letter bomb the first time but now I can't use that.

I tried booting up the homebrew channel from priiloader and it gave an error saying: "Error autobooting HBC. maybe title not installed?"

So if anyone knows how to get the Homebrew Channel back on an already hacked wii please let me know, thanks.
Reinstall Homebrew Channel by "rehacking" your Wii.

If I'm not mistaken, LetterBomb site has had maintenance problems or something like that, really can't remember. But keep trying if that's your preferred method of doing an exploit.

https://wii.guide/ can help you choosing other exploit methods if LetterBomb isn't working for you.

Also, to "unhack" your Wii you have to install a new System Menu.
Don't do it.

Kanight

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Reinstall Homebrew Channel by "rehacking" your Wii.

If I'm not mistaken, LetterBomb site has had maintenance problems or something like that, really can't remember. But keep trying if that's your preferred method of doing an exploit.

https://wii.guide/ can help you choosing other exploit methods if LetterBomb isn't working for you.

Also, to "unhack" your Wii you have to install a new System Menu.
Don't do it.
Thanks for the reply.

I tried the str2hax method as well to no avail.

I'm assuming they just don't work because my wii is still hacked, so my main issue is just how can I get the hombrew channel back and reinstalled, surely theres another way if my wii is already hacked right?

JuanMena

90's Kid, Old Skull Gamer & Artist
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Thanks for the reply.

I tried the str2hax method as well to no avail.

I'm assuming they just don't work because my wii is still hacked, so my main issue is just how can I get the hombrew channel back and reinstalled, surely theres another way if my wii is already hacked right?
Being hacked doesn't prevent your Wii from hacking. It's not possible unless there's a tremendous Data corruption. Which is unlikely.
Perhaps your SD card might be corrupted or too big?
Try with a standard 2GB or 4GB at most. Less prone to get errors.

Also, if using Online methods, the Wii is reportedly having connection troubles with new routers. So have that in mind.

Alternatively, delete the Homebrew Channel save file in your Wii's memory. Make sure the time and date on your console is correct, that you have enough energy in the Wiimote's batteries and keep trying.

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
More information needed.
What does not work? Starting the HackMii Installer? Or does it start but not work?
With Priiloader working it should be possible to start the HackMii Installer from there.

I have to add that these almost religious sacrifices of personal data to the God of Gaming Consoles (Format System Memory) is something I will never understand. And always for the same reasons: "I wanted to sell (while not disclose previous modding to the buyer)" or "I wanted to start from scratch (because something does not work, so deleting everything will make it magically work, right?)."

Throwing away the user profile makes zero sense and will not magically undo everything that has been modified on the system files/operating system. How should this even work? Where should the "Format System Memory" option pull the original files from when the Home Menu has a custom theme?

Kanight

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
More information needed.
What does not work? Starting the HackMii Installer? Or does it start but not work?
With Priiloader working it should be possible to start the HackMii Installer from there.

I have to add that these almost religious sacrifices of personal data to the God of Gaming Consoles (Format System Memory) is something I will never understand. And always for the same reasons: "I wanted to sell (while not disclose previous modding to the buyer)" or "I wanted to start from scratch (because something does not work, so deleting everything will make it magically work, right?)."

Throwing away the user profile makes zero sense and will not magically undo everything that has been modified on the system files/operating system. How should this even work? Where should the "Format System Memory" option pull the original files from when the Home Menu has a custom theme?
Yes sorry, I don't know how or where to start Hackmii to install the Homebrew Channel back on my wii. Could you elaborate on how I would start up hackmii from Priiloader and what files I need on my sd card? Thank you for your response.

And yeah I wanted to sell it and I read somewhere online that factory resetting your Wii undos all hacks and stuff... but apparently not. And no it wasn't a religious sacrifice I just wanted to get rid of my stuff while making some money in the process lol.

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
And no it wasn't a religious sacrifice
Don't take it literally. I'm just venting frustration because I've seen it so often that it beggars any description. The "let's delete everything"-method is omnipresent -- and nobody was yet able to explain it to me, why randomly deleting personal data is supposed to achieve something helpful. It just reminds me of some kind of ritual act.

Factory reset on pretty much any complex device is almost never able to restore the device to the state it had coming out of the box. It doesn't downgrade anything for example. It can throw away user data, but that is usually all.
=========

For reference, although you solved it now: In Priiloader there is an option to "Install and load" files. If you have HackMii Installer in SD:/apps/, you can start it that way without resorting to any exploits, typing MAC address (Letter Bomb) or DNS servers (str2hax). Just place the file and load it.
Just saying this, 'cause I'm far too lazy to prepare exploits if I don't have to (let alone connecting the Wii to the internet if there is no wired connection available).

Kanight

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Don't take it literally. I'm just venting frustration because I've seen it so often that it beggars any description. The "let's delete everything"-method is omnipresent -- and nobody was yet able to explain it to me, why randomly deleting personal data is supposed to achieve something helpful. It just reminds me of some kind of ritual act.

Factory reset on pretty much any complex device is almost never able to restore the device to the state it had coming out of the box. It doesn't downgrade anything for example. It can throw away user data, but that is usually all.
=========

For reference, although you solved it now: In Priiloader there is an option to "Install and load" files. If you have HackMii Installer in SD:/apps/, you can start it that way without resorting to any exploits, typing MAC address (Letter Bomb) or DNS servers (str2hax). Just place the file and load it.
Just saying this, 'cause I'm far too lazy to prepare exploits if I don't have to (let alone connecting the Wii to the internet if there is no wired connection available).
No I didn't take it litterally, I see where you're coming from. And thanks for the info about priiloader, I'll keep that in mind! <:

Reactions: KleinesSinchen

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto