Is it REALLY beneficial to own 2 consoles?

Sailor

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Meh, ok..please listen to what I have to say before you reply to the topic :x Right now, I own a Wii. Just a Wii, with nothing else. Well, a DS..but I don't think that counts. I own about 4 games for it, including Brawl, and I find it a blast. But sometimes when my friends from school talk about playing CoD4 online, or having a Halo night..I feel left out. They asked me to get a 360 to join in with them, and they too have multiple consoles, but I've said I'll think about it to them. It sounds really good to expand my variety of games from Microsoft to Nintendo, and it would really make me happy..I guess :s I'd get to have games from multiple consoles and barely miss out on the gaming experience. Plus, I would have Live and my favorite Nintendo 1st party games.

I just got like $260, and have about another $200 saved up and asked my dad if I could get a 360 and he said if you want, I won't stop you. But is it really worth it to get one this late? Won't like the next console war start in 2010? So that practically means that I'll have 2 years to play both my Xbox360 and Wii? :\ I really do want to get a 360, and have the money for it. I could always make the money back in the summer by getting a job also. It sounds really nice to own 2 consoles, but should I make the jump? What really got my thinking about this was the announcement of Rock Band for the Wii, a game I've been waiting months for..and found it it's going to SUCK.

So, what do you guys think?

Oh..and if I do get a 360, how would I go about connecting it online? My router (Verizon DSL) is upstairs, and my TV/Wii are downstairs. Could I get a 2nd router and put it downstairs or something? Or would I just need a really really long ethernet cable? Do not want to buy the Xbox Wireless Adapter btw, too overpriced.

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
yes it is beneficial to own 2 consoles, especially if you own a ps3 aswell as a Wii (like me), you will wonder why you made yourself feel left out from next gen gaming (and play proper 3rd party games beyond mario zelda and metroid no shovelware either!)

with a ps3 you don't have to buy any extra wifi adapter it has a bigger hard drive btw and hdmi support (yes i know the elite xbox has hdmi support aswell) ps3 has free online gaming so you may want to take those strong points into consideration when getting a second console, also there is no RROD on the ps3...

ZeWarrior

TheWarrior
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
Jalaneme those are good points but she mostly wants to play with her friends on Live and it seems like they have 360s so that would be the console for her.

Sailor

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
ZeWarriorReturns said:
Jalaneme those are good points but she mostly wants to play with her friends on Live and it seems like they have 360s so that would be the console for her.

D: D: D: I'm a guy, lol. Guess I should change my avatar xD

And yea, if it weren't for the $50 price difference (a game, right there) and most of my friends owning Xbox360's, I would most definitely buy a Ps3 for those points. Free online is nice, and I do enjoy WiFi
biggrin.gif
Plus it has great games like WarHawk, Drake's Fortune..and other's coming out. But I'm mainly in the market for a 360 possibly at this time.

Meh, I just made a gamertag on Xbox.com, to make sure if I get a 360 it doesn't get taken..but I accidentally forgot to put a fake age and put that I'm 16 :'[
Is that bad? Do I have like tons of restrictions now or something?

QUOTE(jalaneme @ Mar 30 2008, 08:42 PM) yes it is beneficial to own 2 consoles, especially if you own a ps3 aswell as a Wii (like me), you will wonder why you made yourself feel left out from next gen gaming (and play proper 3rd party games beyond mario zelda and metroid no shovelware either!)

But yea, that does sound nice. I don't own 2 consoles atm, so I don't know the feeling..just stuck with a Wii. I am sad though, that the only titles I seem to buy are Mario + Zelda. Actually, yea...that is all the games I have bought for the Wii. Pretty much need a change, I guess.

dsbomb

Trophies
Website
dsbomb.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
Go to one of your friends' house while they're all online and give it a try. If you like it enough, you'll have your answer. Just hope your friends don't lose interest the second you put money down for it. That's happened to me a few times.
smile.gif

Mangofett

GBAtemp Testing Area
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Making a gamertag on xbox.com was your first mistake, because you get a month of Live for free when you make your gamertag through your 360.

I have a Wii + 360, and yes, trust me, you'll be spending countless hours just playing with your friends.

Sailor

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Linkiboy said:
Making a gamertag on xbox.com was your first mistake, because you get a month of Live for free when you make your gamertag through your 360.

I have a Wii + 360, and yes, trust me, you'll be spending countless hours just playing with your friends.

Whhaaa? Really? :'[
I thought they already gave you a card with your Xbox360 purchase...

And hooray! I guess you're saying then, go ahead and buy the Xbox360? Because I'll spend a lot of time playing w/ friends? But no one really commented on saying if it's too late or not :s

I wish they didn't come out with new consoles every 5 years :[

2cb2ct7

Trophies
XP
Country
science said:
You'll end up playing your 360 more than the Wii

QFT... If not more, at least as much.

I'm a Wii60 owner and I love it.

Also, I particularly dislike the old technology generational argument (but if I buy one now it will only be xxxxx before the next version of xxxx is release). This argument has no weight. The options are by one now and play it until the next gen, or wait it out and play nothing in the mean time (which will be years and years!!). Eg; PS2 release date; March 4, 2000, still kickin'
grog.gif

xcalibur

Gbatemp's Chocolate Bear
Trophies
XP
Country
Trust me, you'll mis out on a lot if you don't get more than one console.
You are probably in the same situation I used to be in when I only had a gamecue and considered buying a PS2.
I did and I didn't regret it since.

tinymonkeyt

GBAtemp brat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yeah go for it
its fun experiencing 2 DIFFERENT kinds of consoles
since nintendo is family fun orientated
and 360 is more of a hardcore gamer with great graphics i must say

Mehdi

Lemonade by Psyfira
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
IMO next gen has just started for the ps3 and therefore also for the 360 competing with the other. So it's up to you. And don't be a sheep
tongue.gif
, cause your friends own a 360 doesnt mean you have to as well. Who knows when your friends try out the ps3 they might end up buying one. So I suggest you do more research on the ps3 and xbox and see which one appeals to YOU.

Good luck and either way both choices are good considering both have their pros and cons leveled respectively.

Bob Evil

The Department of Home-Made Insecurity
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I have every console produced since 1976 ... yes, there were consoles in '76 (even earlier than that, too) ... check out the Binatone TV Master
wink.gif
lol ... and I intend to keep buying every machine released ... it may be expensive, but it has kept me out of the so-called 'console wars' lol

hankchill

I Pwn n00bs.
Trophies
Website
www.hankchill.com
XP
Country
Canada
Yeah, get the 360.

The Wii has turned into such a joke that it's practically not even funny anymore. Not only is it shovelware heaven, but the "innovation" wore off way too quickly.

At one point I owned a Wii and a PS3 together. The Wii was for casual gaming, and the PS3 was my media center. Eventually right when Rock Band came out, I bought a 360 (yep, turned to the dark side). After I started playing that in November, I didn't touch my Wii at all. Not only is the gaming experience 10x better, but the online play is great. Yes, we know PS3's online is free, but honestly, I couldn't stay connected for more than 5 minutes in Warhawk or Guitar Hero, that's how bad it is. I feel better paying for a service when I know it will work, so Xbox Live is totally worth it. So I had all 3 consoles of the "future", and really the only one that didn't feel like it belonged was the Wii.

I sold it before Smash Bros. came out. It won't be missed. The experience I get from the 360 (online, and offline) with high definition graphics, wicked surround sound, and tons of fun, is absolutely worth getting one... even if they do RRoD... But heck, that's what I've got Avenger for
wink.gif

--Henry

superrob

H4X H4X H4X!
Trophies
Website
zabbo.dk
XP
Country
I would say get a PS3.
It has a REALLY long lifetime becurse of its processor and graphichs card.

But yea i never liked microsoft and i dont like the xbox 360.

Its your own choice.

Duke_Jay

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
superrob said:
I would say get a PS3.
It has a REALLY long lifetime becurse of its processor and graphichs card.

But yea i never liked microsoft and i dont like the xbox 360.

Its your own choice.
You really dont add anything to this topic.

And the console war is long from over, I think it is safe to buy a Xbox 360. By my own experiences I can say Xbox Live is an enormous amount of fun if you have alot of (reallife) friends that play the same game as you. For example, all my friends play CoD 4, it is just plain fun to invite everyone into a party and play Search and Destroy or if you are with more then six, play Ground War. My advice is to go out and buy a X360, else you will mis out a hella lot of fun.

Neko

Been a while.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
XBOX 360 rocks, there are alot of good games (an good example would be Dead Rising) on it and it even got a pricedrop some time ago. Also the Controllers are very good and much better than a PS controller, IMO.

Still , it depends on what you want. For a little higher price you could get a PS3 and also watch bluray on it. And if youre some kind of Graphic Whore (
tongue.gif
) it even will have some brilliant looking games in the next years. But it hasn't got very much good exclusiv titles , IMO.

Oh and btw , you could always buy a 360 now and then later a PS3. I'm probably going to buy a PS3 when they get cheaper , but just because I'm thinking about buying me a brand new FULL HD TV and Bluray sure is interesting.

PS: Sorry if I'm writing crap , my Head and my Stomach both hurt. I'm not even in a good mood so I hope I didn't bash any of those consoles. Oh , but don't get a wii. It will not make you happy because there's pretty much just shovelware crap coming out or crappy PS2 ports. Still, If you love nintendo's games like Metroid , Mario , Zelda you could also get a wii. Afterall , it's your money that you are going to spend on your console. Choose the one who has more games that appeal to you.
smile.gif

Meh , the Wii part belongs to the place before the PS: but I don't want to change that now. xD

€dit: Meh , wrote this without really looking at the first post. Yeah , buy a 360. You can't do much wrong and the premium pack (with 2 free games in it!) even includes a Headset so you can comunicate with your friends while playing some nice game of COD4. It's worth the money. I wanted one because a Friend had one and I don't regret it.

aZnXrAvEr

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I got a Wii when it first came out, and then I got a 360 a few months ago. They are great systems... i only play the wii when my friends come over though. I started playing halo 3 on xbox live a lot because I got a 1 year gold membership last week and it's a lot of fun! I'm sure call of duty 4 is a fun to play online too because my friends keep telling me to buy it. By the way, when you get your 360, the first 3 xbox live accounts that you create through your xbox will each get a 1 month gold trial.

VmprHntrD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Really it depends (to the original topic question.)

If you're not really drawn to whatever the PS3 has nothing else will have I'd call it a toss up. The 360 has some nice stuff but the truly key titles people go gaga over quite a bit of them also have representation on the PC, so if your PC isn't crap you'll have that stuff covered the Wii can't deliver. Now if you just had a 360 and/or PS3 and didn't have a Wii I'd say you'll miss out as they just can't do the unique things that one system can. I guess really it is down to taste. Personally I'd go with Wii/PC or Wii/360 if/when MS puts out a stable unit with a long durable lifespan (if that'll happen.)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: Piracy is free, but my usenet subscription and the NASes I built to hold everything aren't :tpi...