Homebrew Is it possible to connect Wii Remote to 3DS/2DS/N3DS?

szymon170

Pr0FessiuNal HelPeR wiTh HaxXX
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
We told you to buy a controller.
We told you that what you're trying to imagine is and would be nuts hard to do if not impossible for you.
We told you it wouldn't even be viable.
We told you that no dev would be interested in making this and no dev is your slave.
Now I just wish you good luck.
And I forgot to tell you that I don't want to involve other people than me in it. It's not worth their hassle (but if someone wants to help me with it, if that's their will and they have much time to waste, then I don't have anything againts it).

DutchyDutch

COPYRIGHT LOLOLOLOL
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Since someone made a thread like this anyways I might as well just ask this question:

Would it be possible in any way to connect any controller to the 3DS? Not gonna be of any use but I was just wondering.

szymon170

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Well, actually I didn't thinked about it this way. It'd be nice to connect Xbox 360 controller to 3DS (It'd replace the c-stick and the circle pad (or whatever is this "White left circle that you can move™" called)

Intronaut

A star maker
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Since someone made a thread like this anyways I might as well just ask this question:

Would it be possible in any way to connect any controller to the 3DS? Not gonna be of any use but I was just wondering.

Yes, it's possible, but not with the current public CFWs/tools.

I attached the whole explanation by shinyquagsire23, who was able to use a gamecube controller in the 3DS:
It's mostly an issue of being tied to private utilities and there's nothing public which could supplement those utilities (and there's no plans to open source said private utilities at the moment). The main issue is that there isn't a public CFW which has a open background process with RPC. NTR has it's own RPC but it's private, and due to the structure and timing constraints, that implementation requires something which the public/open source community has yet to create. You could maybe create an implementation by fudging in another .text area in hid and ir and having RPC threads in those processes, but that would have to be a completely different implementation.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I know that most of you will just type "No" because 3DS doesn't have bluetooth, but I've got an idea. I'd require a PC, hacked 3DS and a bluetooth and infrared adapter to work. My idea is that the Wii Remote would connect to the PC via Bluetooth adapter and then the inputs from the Wii Remote would be transferred through some software to the infrared adapter, which would transfer that data to some homebrew software on the 3DS, because 3DS has an infrared port. Is it possible?

EDIT:
From now on the infrared concept is digged. It should use WiFi because WiFi is faster and you don't need to buy an infrared adapter. And it's probably easier to code. I'm so dumb that I haven't thinked about WiFi before.
It can be done over wifi with a NTR-CFW plugin. I'm not so much interested in using a Wiimote with the 3DS as the possibilities that sending controller input from a PC to a 3DS would open up. For example, that Pokemon shiny catching/egg hatching bot could be done completely in software with the NTR video streaming function, and similar things could be done in any other game, or you could stream the games to a PC and plug in a controller and play them on the big screen. Or you could do a Twitch Plays type thing. The possibilities are endless.

Reactions: TimX24968B

szymon170

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
It can be done over wifi with a NTR-CFW plugin. I'm not so much interested in using a Wiimote with the 3DS as the possibilities that sending controller input from a PC to a 3DS would open up. For example, that Pokemon shiny catching/egg hatching bot could be done completely in software with the NTR video streaming function, and similar things could be done in any other game, or you could stream the games to a PC and plug in a controller and play them on the big screen. Or you could do a Twitch Plays type thing. The possibilities are endless.
Thanks, now you're probably the only one who actually gave me a tip on how could I create this. I should start this project as a plugin then, but in future I want this to be completely separate from NTR CFW. Don't get me wrong, I love it, but the project is dead and it isn't open source, so we cannot fix some bugs and make it faster. And I don't hate cell9 for that, I can understand his decision, but I really want to make this project future-proof and not limited by some possible bugs of NTR CFW.

Intronaut

A star maker
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
He hardmodded it and I don't want to hardmod my New 3DS, I want to involve PC in the process and transfer data via wifi.
He didn't hardmoded his n3ds for that purpouse (actually dekunukem's gc3ds hardmod doesn't support N3DS). Shinyquagsire23 is doing everything through wifi

Intronaut

A star maker
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
I should start this project as a plugin then, but in future I want this to be completely separate from NTR CFW.

If you're going to do this, read this before:
It's mostly an issue of being tied to private utilities and there's nothing public which could supplement those utilities (and there's no plans to open source said private utilities at the moment). The main issue is that there isn't a public CFW which has a open background process with RPC. NTR has it's own RPC but it's private, and due to the structure and timing constraints, that implementation requires something which the public/open source community has yet to create. You could maybe create an implementation by fudging in another .text area in hid and ir and having RPC threads in those processes, but that would have to be a completely different implementation.

szymon170

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
So I've got even better plan. I thought about forking Luma3DS and adding RPC to it. It's fully open source and supported, so if I should try, even if this would take 5 years to code. And it'd be very useful.

CreAtor135

GBATemp's #1 Nothing
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well the guy who created the first Gamecube controller mod also has several other mods for other controllers, such as PS1 and the Classic Controller/Pro. I'm not sure if that's what you're looking for, but it certainly is a marvel.

Ah, so you mean wireless. I'm no programmer but it sounds like it'll probably require some interpreter over PC to read the Wiimote's inputs and send them back over to the 3DS. This sounds a lot harder than it sounds, however, but it should be within the possibility range. ShinyQuagsire's Gamecube controller mod reads inputs over a network, so this would probably work the same way.

Last edited by CreAtor135,

Intronaut

A star maker
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Well the guy who created the first Gamecube controller mod also has several other mods for other controllers, such as PS1 and the Classic Controller/Pro. I'm not sure if that's what you're looking for, but it certainly is a marvel.

Yeah, but it's pretty hard for the average users (in fact you have to print your own PCB). Also, the mod is permanent and pretty uncomfortable.

Anyway, I think adding RPC support to the existing CFW is a good idea, because we would be able to use every controller which can be connected to the PC in the 3DS.

CreAtor135

GBATemp's #1 Nothing
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, but it's pretty hard for the average users (in fact you have to print your own PCB). Also, the mod is permanent and pretty uncomfortable.

Anyway, I think adding RPC support to the existing CFW is a good idea, because we would be able to use every controller which can be connected to the PC in the 3DS.
Is it really uncomfortable? I've seen several mods that just install a cord adapter to plug your controller in, simple and easy.

Intronaut

A star maker
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Is it really uncomfortable? I've seen several mods that just install a cord adapter to plug your controller in, simple and easy.
There are two kinds of gamecube controller mod:

the first was made by dekunukem and it's made with cheap pieces you can get from ebay, and the tutorial to do it is public. However, you need to feed energy to the arduino, and you have to choose what analog (3ds or GC) you're going to use with a jumper (making the whole hardmod permanent).
ltly5yb.jpg

The second is made by a guy (who I don't remember in this moment) but it uses a special pcb made by him, which you can only get paying for the whole hardmod service (which it's pretty expensive)
resized_x1001.jpg

Last edited by Intronaut,

TimX24968B

"That guy"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

the first was made by dekunukem and it's made with cheap pieces you can get from ebay, and the tutorial to do it is public. However, you need to feed energy to the arduino, and you have to choose what analog (3ds or GC) you're going to use with a jumper (making the whole hardmod permanent).
ltly5yb.jpg

The second is made by a guy (who I don't remember in this moment) but it uses a special pcb made by him, which you can only get paying for the whole hardmod service.
resized_x1001.jpg
I wouldn't even go this far, i would just use my pc and emulators at this point.

CreAtor135

GBATemp's #1 Nothing
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

ltly5yb.jpg

The second is made by a guy (who I don't remember in this moment) but it uses a special pcb made by him, which you can only get paying for the whole hardmod service.
resized_x1001.jpg
Ah, yeah I'm full aware of dekuNukem's mod, which came first, but I was speaking of Katukity's service, which is what introduces the internal PBC that allows for a simple plug n' play mod.

Intronaut

A star maker
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
I wouldn't even go this far, i would just use my pc and emulators at this point.

Yeah, that is the reason I said RPC support in CFWs is a more reasonable option.

So I've got even better plan. I thought about forking Luma3DS and adding RPC to it. It's fully open source and supported, so if I should try, even if this would take 5 years to code. And it'd be very useful.
I think the first thing to do is asking to @Aurora Wright if it's feasible.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: *yawn*