Hacking is it possible to buy a better DSi battery?

kobykaan

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
saggio said:
if so, link me, because we all know that the one it comes with sucks

Deal Extreme sell compatible DSi batteries
smile.gif

Da-Bomb1

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
They usually don't...they say they hold that much, but they really don't. They tend to last half as long, according to some of the reviews on DX.

Sanderino

I guess you only know what you got 'till it's gone
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
That's why I don't buy a DSi, because of the low battery life. Because i mostly play on my DS if I'm in a car making a long trip. If there is a good battery wich gives it twice the battery power I will think about buying it.

Da-Bomb1

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Law said:
Da-Bomb1 said:
They usually don't...they say they hold that much, but they really don't. They tend to last half as long, according to some of the reviews on DX.

Gee, I wonder why.
Haha, still, I wouldn't trust 3rd party ones from anywhere...it seems as though they're basically all ripoffs, especially if they claim to have like, twice the battery life in the same package.

FlatFrogger

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
If they are anything like the ds lite ones they are all horrible and offer WORSE battery life than your stock one.

I can't see them suddenly being great for the dsi. If you live in the USA i think you can buy official batteries from nintendo themselves.

Cashoo

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
deta12.com
XP
Country
Ok well I test this battery LUPO DSi battery and the the one that comes with the DSi.

I tested both batteries on full brightness on the menu screen of 'New Super Mario Bros.'

Standard DSi battery
Time lasted: 3 hours 45 minutes
cf240x4v5_Battery1.jpg

LUPO battery:
Time lasted: 35 minutes
b9sfkqcwg_Battery2.jpg

It might of been a faulty battery but it probably wasn't.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Basic (rechargeable) battery lessons:

Batteries create electricity by reacting chemicals together, on the one hand you have basic batteries which work on exactly the same principles as a galvanic cell:
http://chemistry.about.com/library/weekly/aa082003a.htm

Rechargeable batteries work on the same principle but instead of a one way reaction you use a reversible one (often a reaction with multiple stages with the intermediate stages being reversible). Applying electricity of sufficient voltage the other way reverses the reaction, naturally the chemistry is complex and fairly expensive (and possibly dangerous). Cheap makers almost invariably skimp on this and this is why people do not suggest cheap rechargeable batteries and alas with such a rep no good makers really venture into the market of proprietary batteries as few buy third party batteries at or around the price of official ones. Trouble is the voltage and size is an odd one and conversion is not exactly efficient.

Second to this is the problems associated with chemistry like self discharge and deep discharge (which can also be related).
Batteries produce electricity by oxidising things and most oxides are not know for their low resistance (as these oxides are internal to the battery such a phenomenon is known as internal resistance and is important in the next paragraph) so even without things connected to the terminals charge can be lost. Long story short some things fully oxidise and can no long be used for a reaction (lower storage) and deposition (blocking other particles from reacting; also lower storage and potentially higher resistance)*.
Deep discharge is not much of a problem on the DS as Voltage is related to apparent concentrations within a cell and this Voltage drops as the battery discharges for the reasons above and is more likely to become too low before deep discharge becomes a problem (this is also how the DS and over devices "know" the battery is getting low). Before someone mentions memory effect: http://www.dansdata.com/gz011.htm

Internal resistance: now internal resistance means devices connected to a battery can only draw a limited amount of current (one reason why you may have to stick several batteries in a device) and a workaround for this is to stick several batteries in parallel as it will then cause the batteries to each provide a far lower current from each of them but ultimately a sufficient amount to power the device. While this is usually used for high power devices it is also useful for long term powering of devices (indeed I made one for an original DS).

Amp Hours is a measurement of how long a given battery can sustain a given current, it is used when you have a set Voltage (which you do here) as it makes the maths simpler than using power and/or energy equations. 1200mAh means if the battery is working properly a current on one milliamp can be sustained for 1200 hours (note 1mA is a tiny current), a draw of 2 millamps means 600 hours 3mA is 400 hours......

*You can reverse this in many ways including high current such a charged capacitor (remember discharge is exponential) or a suppy capable of delivering a large current (like a welder although a desk supply: http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/powersupply.htm can work for these smaller devices) or instead you can use high frequency pulse to perform a similar feat (note that your battery chemistry and the problems faced may not be all that receptive to this). Note these techniques may not be the safest of things to do.

More reading is you feel like it, it covers more things in depth and is probably worth reading from a design perspective:
http://www.powerstream.com/BatteryFAQ.html

kampang

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I set the brightness to 2 and it only lasted 7 hours 30 minutes (I wrote down all play durations):

15 minutes.
10 minutes.
4 hour 30 minutes
7 minutes
2 hour 30 minutes

Then the battery blinking red ... so I fully recharged it.

I played Pokemon Platinum and Cake Mania if that has some influence on battery life.
And I dont use Wi-Fi, it is turned off.

Now, I set to the lowest brightness (1) and will report later.

This is brand new DSi, I bought it last week.

Lowest brightness is quite dark, but it is ok for certain game like Pokemon Platinum.
I prefer brightness=2 btw.

DeltaBurnt said:
The DSi's battery is actually pretty good as long as the brightness is atleast 3 or lower.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: So negative