Hardware Nintendo DSi Battery contacts not working

DecoTheEpicGuy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
One day when i tried to fix my game cartridge slot, i had the great idea of just putting the battery while the backplate was not even in the console, thus resulting in me losing control and possibly scraping it.

After i reassembled the console, it would not turn on, and to add to the frustration, when charging, the orange LED would blink, meaning it could not detect the battery.

However, my Moms friend took a good look at the contacts - he said there was no problem, not even a single scratch, i also had the same conclusion.

My DSi is being fixed at a dodgy store, if they arent able to fix it, what are your solutions? i desperately need my DSi.

PoroCYon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
You probably shorted the pins or connected the battery with the wrong polarity to the contacts. Luckily for you, Nintendo could foresee this issue when designing the DSi's PCB. On the small side PCB with the battery contacts, there's a component marked "F1". That's a fuse, and you probably blew it. To confirm that it has been blown, measure the resistance across the fuse with a digital multimeter. If it's high (>1k), you blew it. If it isn't, the problem lies elsewhere and it'll need more diagnosing before I (or anyone else) could tell you what the problem might be.

If the fuse has been blown, it just needs replacing. (The specs are: 0603 footprint, 0.5A, fast-blow. You can get these at various electronic component stores for a few cents ($€£).) It's a quick solder job for anyone with surface-mount soldering experience. iFixit has a guide, in the photo of step 10 you can see the "F1" component on the left side:

1697735365458.png

Last edited by PoroCYon,

DecoTheEpicGuy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
You probably shorted the pins or connected the battery with the wrong polarity to the contacts. Luckily for you, Nintendo could foresee this issue when designing the DSi's PCB. On the small side PCB with the battery contacts, there's a component marked "F1". That's a fuse, and you probably blew it. To confirm that it has been blown, measure the resistance across the fuse with a digital multimeter. If it's high (>1k), you blew it. If it isn't, the problem lies elsewhere and it'll need more diagnosing before I (or anyone else) could tell you what the problem might be.

If the fuse has been blown, it just needs replacing. (The specs are: 0603 footprint, 0.5A, fast-blow. You can get these at various electronic component stores for a few cents ($€£).) It's a quick solder job for anyone with surface-mount soldering experience. iFixit has a guide, in the photo of step 10 you can see the "F1" component on the left side:

View attachment 400116
Thank you! i might try this in the future, sorry for the extremely late reply.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto