Nintendo DSi LL — Flashing charging light

malekmaroc7

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Morocco
Hello GBATempers!

I recently bought a DSi LL (JPN) and opened it to replace the bottom screen since it was yellowed. I carefully detached all cables and put them back into place and now the DSi won't turn on at all — even with the battery.
The charging LED only flashes when connecting It to a charger.
It was also working before with battery fully charged.
I also noticed when I press and hold the power button, the charging LED goes off. Never experienced that.
Did I mess something up?

Thank you all in advance!

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello GBATempers!

I recently bought a DSi LL (JPN) and opened it to replace the bottom screen since it was yellowed. I carefully detached all cables and put them back into place and now the DSi won't turn on at all — even with the battery.
The charging LED only flashes when connecting It to a charger.
It was also working before with battery fully charged.
I also noticed when I press and hold the power button, the charging LED goes off. Never experienced that.
Did I mess something up?

Thank you all in advance!

Ribbon cable connecting the motherboard to the "daughterboard" i.e. power and D-pad, is pretty touchy on DSi LL/XL. I have a blue XL I need to open up because of this --- there's a spot just below the D-pad that if I push down a little (like when picking up the console between thumb and 2 fingers), it'll just power off completely. I'm guessing the little bit of pressure I'm putting on that spot is enough to fritz with the ribbon cable connection there. (the spot corresponds exactly to the connector bale on the daughterboard).

malekmaroc7

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Morocco
Ribbon cable connecting the motherboard to the "daughterboard" i.e. power and D-pad, is pretty touchy on DSi LL/XL. I have a blue XL I need to open up because of this --- there's a spot just below the D-pad that if I push down a little (like when picking up the console between thumb and 2 fingers), it'll just power off completely. I'm guessing the little bit of pressure I'm putting on that spot is enough to fritz with the ribbon cable connection there. (the spot corresponds exactly to the connector bale on the daughterboard).

Thank you for your reply!

As far as I understood you, the board with the D-Pad could be culprit because of the ribbon cable which connects it to the mainboard due to pressure? What can I do to prevent it?

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Like I said, I haven't opened mine up yet, just a hunch. But I would recommend you check or reseat that ribbon cable in the clamps (bales, whatever you want to call them) on both ends, and see if that fixes you up. If not, it could be a more serious issue like a dead fuse on the daughtrboard (the board with the power circuit and the d-pad). There are replacement daughterboards for sale on Amazon, like this:

https://www.amazon.c om/Switch-Buttons-Repair-Nintendo-UTL-SUB-01/dp/B00ZKFZAY6

Good luck.

malekmaroc7

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Morocco
So I have bought a DSi XL power board replacement and will see if that will help...

...wish me luck, because I will definitely need it 😅

malekmaroc7

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Morocco
Nice!
Also: Thanks for posting this message, it might help others!

Glad it would find someone useful! :D

By the way, I forgot to mention:

I had a problem after installing the power board. The LED lights weren't turning on while the displays did turn on. The D-Pad was also not responding.
The issue was the damaged ribbon cable (the damage wasn't visible) connecting the motherboard with the power board. I just swapped the cable from the faulty board with the new one and it now works as it should.

If you experience the same issue as me, just swap the ribbon cable and it should work!

Reactions: zxr750j

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto