Hacking Question Is it possible to apply .NSP update to .XCI backup?

PT333

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
FW 5.1.0 & SX OS 1.3. I downloaded Binding of Isaac update via CDNSP and installed it. On main screen, it created its own icon and there was small cloud icon next to its name (I'd post a screenshot, but I didn't make one). When i tried to run it, message popped up, saying I need to have the software in order to run it. So I tried installing whole game via DevMenu. Now I have 2 Binding of Isaac games on main screen - one mounted from .XCI file and other installed from .NSP. Both work fine, but only DevMenu one is working with the update. Does this mean that I need to redownload all games that I want to update in the future with CDNSP or is there a way to make DLCs / updates work with mounted XCI files?

Reecey

Mario 64 (favorite game of all time)
Trophies
XP
Country
Yes absolutely! I update all my xci's by flashback/devmenu, its the safest option in my opinion! Like the guy said above you have installed the incorrect region update that does happen if you do this, you get two icons on your main menu, just delete the incorrect icon/version in data management in settings. If you want the usa update look for this in the title id window of cdnsp> 010021C000B6A000

Last edited by Reecey,

PT333

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Check the title id of the xci and download the appropriate update via CDNSP. There are different versions of Binding of Isaac (EU/US).

Yes absolutely! I update all my xci's by flashback/devmenu, its the safest option in my opinion! Like the guy said above you have installed the incorrect region update that does happen if you do this, you get two icons on your main menu, just delete the incorrect icon/version in data management in settings. If you want the usa update look for this in the title id window of cdnsp> 010021C000B6A000

Thanks! So I only need to make sure TID of update match TID of XCI? Does XCI have to be mounted while installing update or can I "batch" install updates without remounting XCI files?

Reecey

Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks! So I only need to make sure TID of update match TID of XCI? Does XCI have to be mounted while installing update or can I "batch" install updates without remounting XCI files?
Yes titleid>titleid update, just install the update and soon as you click out the devmenu donor the title will flash up to show you the update has been installed. I do agree cdnsp isn't very helpful tagging region titles :(

Last edited by Reecey,

Batpeter

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How is that the safest method when so many people have been banned when using layeredfs? Just updating normally on ofw seems safer at the moment. I wish we could update an xci file on the pc.

Reecey

Trophies
XP
Country
How is that the safest method when so many people have been banned when using layeredfs? Just updating normally on ofw seems safer at the moment. I wish we could update an xci file on the pc.
They haven’t been banned for using the DevMenu via layeredfs which is fine they have been banned for playing back ups via layeredfs which is a ridiculous thing to do! Playing back ups via layeredfs method is very silly because an error can easily be created while in play and sent to Nintendo, using the DevMenu won’t create any errors, it’s just a simple switch development menu nothing more.

Last edited by Reecey,

justdylan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They haven’t been banned for using the DevMenu via layeredfs which is fine they have been banned for playing back ups via layeredfs which is a ridiculous thing to do! Playing back ups via layeredfs method is very silly because an error can easily be created while in play and sent to Nintendo, using the DevMenu won’t create any errors, it’s just a simple switch development menu nothing more.
what is layeredfs? I just got sx os today and am about to install some xci files and then update through OFW. Anything else i should know to avoid bans

Canna

Bad Ass Poisonous Mushroom
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
what is layeredfs? I just got sx os today and am about to install some xci files and then update through OFW. Anything else i should know to avoid bans
Yeah dont go online with cfw/home brew or modded console, your risk a flag for ban or instant ban.,.

Also make a backup of your system before you play or use cfw, or still make a backup if you have already in case you need it in the future

Guide for backing up here > Click

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    But it's a dead end
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Psionic Roshambo, people who cant download it can still play the game
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    If your internet speeds are fast enough. Streaming 4k takes alot. I used to only have 20mb sec, and 4k struggled. Now I have 300mb sec and 4k plays fine.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, i only have like 1 or 2 mb sec
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Did you feed the hamster in your internet router? It prob died and is running slow now.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, why did you start saying my pc has a hamster in the first place?
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Its actua!ly just a old joke, meaning its slow. Was just kidding around with you.
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I bet @AncientBoi has some hamsters hidden somewhere tho....
    +2
    I think Game streaming should work like this.... Local Hardware able the run the game fine, game engine and common assets stored locally, all FMV and music and textures could be streaming
    +1
    Some temporary storage
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also @BigOnYa im making some progress on my gdevelop project, implemented various mechanics
    They went all in on streaming, should have been more of a hybrid approach
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Or free government supplied high speed internet be nice also. Like Obama care. Xdqwerty that's cool, its time consuming but rewarding once done or playable, to see what you've made from scratch. Animations take forever, but worth it.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, although the bullets are a bit buggy
    +1
    Not to mention this would be a massive pain to pirate
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa,
    and the visual aspect of the game is quite crude (the sprite that looks best is that of the protagonist just because he is a stickman with sunglasses)
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    There is a bullets behaviour you assign to your character, that makes the code easier, under "behaviours"
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i meant that when the character is pointing to the right, the bullets spawn where they should, but when he is on the right, they move to the right but the spawn point is incorrect
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Itch.io has lots of free assets also. Under the bullets behavior tab, there is a "rotate bullets" option, can try that. Or in the code can try
    - fire bullet Player.X(PlayerDirection)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    im taking a break for today anyway
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    YEa gotta after a while, looking at code for long periods will bug your eyes.
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    That's cool tho, I'm proud of you going back to it, not giving up. It is difficult at first to learn, but fun once you get the hang of it. I think I've watched every tutorial video there is, but I still struggle sometimes to get stuff to work right. But gotta keep trying dif things, and eventually you will get it right.
    +1
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zT-Cy-hap_Q