Homebrew Is it possible/possible in the future to use PC mods for switch?

Tsundere_Neko

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
First of all: I'm not asking this question because I particularly want to do this, but more or less because I'm curious as to how the coding works, in any case-
So I am aware that this one game I like, Subnautica, is getting a release on the switch. I like playing with certain mods to make the game more fun, such as de-extinction. Using a jailbroken switch would it be possible to use PC mods with a switch game in some way, or is the coding too different? If the mod was recoded a bit would it work, or would it have to be done completely from scratch to make it work on a new platform?
Thanks in advance for any answers!

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Going to have to have that ever fun answer of "it depends"

Modern porting processes are not quite so radical as older systems where games might essentially be different games even if nominally the same title, story, theme and characters. To that end assets might well be left alone and this can make for varying degrees of ease when it comes to changing assets (some might be closer to ROM hacking wherein you get to understand file formats to inject your new quests or whatever where PC is "plop files into specified mod directory, game will run them automatically"). You might face limits -- my £5000 graphics card (though at current price trends then before long one costing that much might actually be weaker than the Switch) can probably have some super detail texture mod that the Switch might be lucky to render in 5 minutes as a static image.

If the game used extensive coding for the mods (see something like Civilisation http://modiki.civfanatics.com/index.php?title=Lua_and_UI_Reference_(Civ5) and Lua) then this might not be as available as the PC, though if the underlying game still uses something (and you tend to code in what you in turn provide for others) then you can potentially open it back up.

If it is like the days of old when the same story, motion capture and general art is converted to a whole new engine, and everything stripped back and refactored into something else then yeah take up ROM hacking instead.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: Have a nice day. Life. Week. Month. year.