Is it all coming to a end?

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Eternal Myst, Jul 30, 2008.

Jul 30, 2008
  1. Eternal Myst
    OP

Member Eternal Myst Back from the Myst.

United States
    Bastards!

2. pilotwangs

Member pilotwangs GBAtemp Maniac

United Kingdom
    Shame,good thing I got my flashcarts while I did.

Does this mean nintendo's next handheld won't have flashcarts?

I mean,If Nintendo stopping them now for the DS,I presume they're gonna take even more action for they're next handheld.

3. granville

Member granville GBAtemp Goat

United States
    Stopping piracy is like cutting off a hydra's head. 3 more grow back where the first one was. I can also use the mythical phoenix bird as a reference here.

In other words, this won't do much.

4. jcm4

Newcomer jcm4 Member

United States
  5. ojsinnerz.

Member ojsinnerz. Damned

Canada
    I just hope my friend, who borrowed my flashkart at the moment, doesn't do anything stupid to make me actually lose the cart.

Also, piracy will prevail.

6. Satangel

Member Satangel BEAST

Belgium
    They worked with enforcement officials in Belgium, China, Denmark, France, Hong Kong, Italy, Korea, Netherlands, Spain, UK, and the US.
    Why in Belgium too? Cmon we're so small, take another country like Germany or Australia or someone else, but not us!

7. WildWon

Former Staff WildWon EXTERMINATE!

United States
    Hmm. Now lets look at this real quick. Flash carts have been around for years. YEARS and years. Now Nintendo is trying to stop them. How many small/unknown companies have been putting out (yes, i know... shitty, but still) cards? I agree 110% with the "Hydra" analogy. This wont end. We'll see major companies being shut down... and that REALLY sucks.

But this will continue. There is no real threat to the Flash Cart community. This is just a speed bump.

However i also give a +1 to "...good thing I got my flashcarts while I did." [​IMG]

8. pokemongalaxy

Banned pokemongalaxy Banned

Canada
    lol this crap encourages people to buy more...ps: good thing I already have a m3dssimply,ak2,sc ds one!!!
    MAYBE, IF COMPANIES LIKE R4 DIDNT ADVERTISE THE PART WHERE the r4 can play games (but it still could), then nintendo wouldnt be able to sue their asses [​IMG]

9. Whizz

Member Whizz When things don't go right, go left.

Netherlands
    Most/all Dutch webstores selling/installing Wii modchips and selling flashcarts had to stop because of a Nintendolawyer. It makes me sad.

I'm really glad I modded my Wii early and got some flashcards before the incident.

I can still import R4's, M3's and TTDS's from Germany however.

10. BurlyEd

Member BurlyEd GBAtemp Fan

United States
    "The Sky is Falling" - Henny Penny and BurlyEd.

Luckily I have 2 R4's, 2 DSTT's, an EDGE and a SCDS1.
    Plus I have 2 (probably junk) "R4 Advances" on order from VolumeRate.
    Plus 646 .nds files (>27GB) backed-up.
    And I have 2 3in1's to use with NDS_Backup_Tool_3in1 for dumping retail carts or playing GBA games.

I am about as ready as I know how to be. Bring it on!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

11. fenthwick

Member fenthwick GBAtemp Regular

Sweden
  12. WildWon

Former Staff WildWon EXTERMINATE!

United States
    lol i saw that earlier... but if nintendo stops the production... then this sales hike will create a drought. I'm not WORRIED about it, but it'll only spike for a short time until supply is killed. I still stand behind my idea of a flood of cheap cards coming from all directions... but still.

13. silent sniper

Member silent sniper !dennaB

Canada
    That's actually a perfect analogy. Good luck, Nintendo! You'll need it!

14. Celice

Member Celice GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    After reading the first headline, about how many were confiscated, I kept remembering threads about people who accidentally sent in their modded Wiis...

15. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    The only bad thing I can see is that if it goes through there is the potential to challenge sony vs betamax and sega vs accolade (two fundamental US court rulings a good chunk of the electronics industry is built on and both are somewhat under fire right now).

Wii chips (up to D2c anyhow) are basic programmable chips (the more advanced ones are nothing special either) and no place in the list lacks a route in (Japan + HK have mainland china and even Russia, Europe mainland has Russia, Scandinavia and various principalities/"states" not party to this), the UK has Scandinavia, the US has Canada, Antigua and Mexico.
    Seriously hampering trade is not going to happen right now either (also if they can handle something as simple as drugs and people smuggling what possibly makes you think they can stop something the public is barely aware of much less comprehends).
    This does not even mention the possibility of internal manufacture/assembly (I have dealt with a few electronics companies with arms all over the place and loose "morals")

Nearly every country I have every been in has electronics, computing and even reverse engineering courses (reverse engineering was part of a normal engineering degree for me and forensic engineering (almost the sanitised name for it) is also available at all levels) as well as extensive information available for nearly everyone.

I can not speak for anyone else (although I am sure several would echo my sentiments) but for as long as I breathe I will be playing this game.

16. Panzer Tacticer

Member Panzer Tacticer veteran human

Canada
    The horror, the horror.

Fuck Nintendo.

Yeah their DS is a great hand held. Yeah their Wii is a great console. I won't say they ain't.

But their software (if it has Nintendo on the box they are taking some of the credit for it) is often abominable.

Oh and don't respond with "well you don't have a gun aimed at your head being made to buy it".

I shouldn't have to deal with a product type that is SO rife with schlock, that the verdict is guilty until proven innocent.

I enjoyed buying Civilization Revolution, but it's very rare a game of that calibre is offered to us.

More often they try to suck us in with Paint DS which was nothing short of an offense.
    Games like Command and Destroy which should have been a dozen times better.
    And products like Aquarium DS soon followed by Fantasy Aquarium which was nothing more than shameless customer exploitation. They could have combined both into one game, but felt that getting twice the cash was more fun.

If it comes to pass that they release titles that need not about to happen firmware upgrades, I suppose the choice to buy, or not, will become harder to make.
    Won't bother me. Most of the games released, that need firmware patches fall under 1 of 2 headings.
    1. Shit that never should have seen the light of day, and why do you care that you can't play it, it's shit after all.
    2. Games good enough you shouldn't mind buying them anyway.

Final Fantasy IV for instance. If you bitched about waiting and waiting and waiting because you wanted it so badly, why not just buy the f**king game, and stop worrying if your piracy product won't run it?

Don't wait for me to care if your useless level of income can't afford it.
    Life sucks, you can't have everything.

It's really a bit too late for Nintendo though. Everyone that wants to have the capacity to use these flash carts, already has one.
    And those that don't well suck it up, you'll just have to wait till the next cool tech device is invented.

17. Lupigen

Newcomer Lupigen Advanced Member

United States
    Eh, this news was already posted a few topics below this one. As for that topic, it addressed some of the points. Mainly that the Cyclo board going down is most likely a routine case of their site exceeding their bandwidth limits. They should be back up when their bandwidth period finishes in a few days.

18. wiimodder69

Newcomer wiimodder69 Member

Canada
    Pirates account for a small percentage of losses.The sales and profit generated from average joe public isnt even a comparison number.sooooo
    I think nintendo is merley protecting thier investments and suppliers by coming up with some arbitrary number that really means..to be blunt.... means sweet fuck all to the bottom line. This is the important thing. Media hype is all. Reverse engineering is always going to prevail. A professor said it long ago. The introduction of the internet will kill copyright. It would seem this is true.

19. tinymonkeyt

Member tinymonkeyt GBAtemp brat

United States
    will they be able to track down the people that bought the items?

20. Twiffles

Member Twiffles танковые победы

Germany
    Probably not.