Is anyone working on a Wii U homebrew media player?

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by duffmmann, May 22, 2017.

1. duffmmann
    OP

duffmmann GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 11, 2009
    United States
    I know there are things you can use instead, say using Plex and having all your videos hosted on your home computer, but my home computer has become incapacitated lately. And sure I can use WiiMC inside of the vWii, but WiiMC has always had problems with playing .mp4 and .mkv which in the years since WiiMC have become much more of the standard for new media, making it much more difficult to track down .avi files which seem to always work without issue in WiiMC.

So I'm curious, is anyone making a Wii U homebrew media player app? I would really appreciate it if someone was, though of course there are plenty of ways around the problem I know, it'd just be really great if such a thing did exist.

2. yusuo

yusuo GBAtemp Addict

Oct 19, 2006
    It would be awesome if they were but the truth of the matter is you can get alot better for alot less now a day, raspberry pi for example. This leads people not willing to invest the time to make one

3. duffmmann
    OP

duffmmann GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 11, 2009
    United States
    Its a bit of a bummer. The Wii U has been blown wide open, yet the homebrew scene is pretty damn dead. Makes me long for not even a decade ago when people were trying to do whatever they could think of for homebrew on the Wii.

4. CreeperMario

CreeperMario GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 18, 2016
    Australia
    OSv10 v15702
    Having more devs might help.