Hacking Is AK2 making worse use of my microSD than R4?!

BlueX

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
My Pessoal Chart
speedhl3.jpg

Kingston 2GB on AK2
A-Data SDHC 4GB Class 6 on DS One
Kingston 1GB on R4

jabjab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
is that using cf_bench or some other thing?
why mix up the flashcarts with the sd cards? to eliminate effect flashcarts may have they should all be run on the same cart.
fast results for the kingston 1g, mine was a good bit slower than my adata so maybe a fake or so. (some reports on dealextreme about it)

helpme

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
my acekard2 is a piece of crap i thought i would give lego indiana johns a go on it & it stutters like mad & takes ages to load going from room to room
i tryed to play it in co-op with my son with his scdsone & it just ground to a holt any time a couple of bad guys came on screen or the was an explosion etc etc

heres the stats for the cards ive tryed with cfbench

kinston 2gb jap

sequential

512- max 547 / avg 288

4 - max 2320 / avg 2283

16 - max 9173 / avg 9120

random

512- max 726 / avg 653

4 - max 2494 / avg 2404

16 - max 9342 / avg 9239

kinston 4gb sdhc jap

sequential

512- max 550 / avg 289

4 - max 2343 / avg 2296

16 - max 9228 / avg 9156

random

512- max 598 / avg 579

4 - max 2377 / avg 2335

16 - max 9280 / avg 9198

jabjab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
and what does your son get for speed on his card? does co-op require one to act as host ? tried switching around etc?
my missus uses a slightly slower card and says the game plays fine with single player anyway.
get those cards from dealextreme?

Searinox

"Dances" with Dragons
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
Today I purchased a 4GB CLASS 6 Transcend microSDHC. The intro for Castlevania DoS STILL LAGS! although only half of what it used to. Then I went into Portrait of Ruin and selected a warp point. I scrolled rapidly through the warp points and... yes, after a few seconds, THE GAME FROZE!

Any DESPERATE suggestions as to what to do and how to format my card are welcome, else I AM SELLING AWAY MY ACEKARD 2 FOR ITS UTTER INCOMPETENCE! The inability to perform well on a class 6 is INEXCUSABLE!

I've tried both FAT32 and FAT16 with 64K cluster both lag the SAME way.

I KNEW AK2 was too good to be true... I just can't get a purchase right from the first try can I? First the R4 couldn't support SDHC now the AK2 can't have a decent speed so I HAVE to gather money for a CycloDS to get something RELIABLE? My question is I opened a thread on here asking about AK2 and its downsides a few told me there are problems with patches why did nobody tell me they are also slow as hell?!?! Not even the GBATEMP review mentions it!

I've more to add. I've tried differrent formats. 1K cluster size DRAMATICALLY reduces the file browsing speed and the time it takes to save a game. However, it does NOT make the DoS movie lag more or PoR to crash more often. It seems that no matter what I do I can only affect the file browsing speed at most, and NOT the in-game performance. I've also noticed WHERE the DoS warp points freeze. It's between the topmost section of clock tower and the endless stairway. Switching back and forth between these location freezes the card. However, switching back and forth between any other two points causes no freeze no matter how long it's carried out for. Possibly other warp locations in the game also cause freezes, I've not reached them yet.

Becauase of this, it seems rather not so much a limitation of the SD but rather of the AK2. Please provide me with info as to what I may do, sdCardSpeed has yet to be explained to me, and if nothing can be done I am discarding the AK2 for good.

helpme

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
@Searinox

ive tryed 5 different memory cards & all of them give me slow down not only in the castlevania intros but in games as well
ive tryed the official, osmenu & ysmenu & i get the same slowdown in all 3 loaders
im going to wait & see if the new AKBBS 2.0 menu helps with my slowdown before i throw it on top of my wardrobe & forget about it

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Searinox said:
introS? explain please. I only get lag in ONE intro. tell me a few of the games that lag so I can test them.
The ones who usually has lag in the intros are Castlevania Dawn of Sorrow and Castlevania Portrait of Ruin.

Searinox

"Dances" with Dragons
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
I have no lag in anything except the DoS intro and occasional(now become rare) freezes when scrolling through warp points in PoR. But it's enough since my R4 had no lag in the DoS intro, and on a class 4/2(no idea what it is) memory too, while DoS intro STILL lags even on a class 6 FAT16 64K cluster and PoR is supposed to be happy with a class 6 too.

jabjab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i get no lag in intro with an adata class 6, formatted fat32 default cluster size with panasonic tool
not tried the warp point bits
twewy also works fine when it wouldn't on my so called jap kingston 1gb from dx which from its speed results i think is fake.

jabjab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
no idea but i thought that the windows formatting tool wasn't supposed to be good for doing sds so i gave it a whirl
what results do you get in cf_bench with it out of interest?
My adata got slightly slower than the results shown by bluex but my jap 1gb kingston got speeds more like the 2gb on his chart

scdsone

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
I only get lag in ONE intro. tell me a few of the games that lag so I can test them.

i get huge lag in mario kart when theres a few karts on screen i also get long loading times in animal crossing when going into rooms & using the menus (which i dont have with my scdsone)
i get lag when bad guys attack me in lego Indiana jones or if theres explosions

Searinox

"Dances" with Dragons
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
I disabled soft reset from patches. The CoD intro runs a liiittle smoother, especially the end part with Soma drawing the seal, it used to lag at 2 FPS just like the rest of the movie(save for the beginning, which also runs smooth) now it runs at full frames... but yes at the end with the bright flash it lags again. XD Also, PoR appears to no longer crash at warp points.... I'm not going to make hopes too soon but I believe that by disabling SR I've obtained that 1% speed boost that was needed to get over the critical minimum read speed for freezing point. I can now confidently access the game's menu whenever I please, and teleport without having to worry about the game dying on me. I spent minutes at a time just now doing nothing but scrolling rapidly through warp points at different portal locations(since I noticed not all of them freeze, and YES sadly one of the freezing portals is the one at the entrance, which is so vital) and I got no more crashes.

I just might give AK2 a new chance, also given the fact that very soon a new menu will be out, which plans to include slowdown and MAYBE even savestates later on... I got very ticked when I first ran my games and ran into the whole lot of lag/freeze problems, I wasn't expecting problems so soon but now it seems everything has been remediated to an acceptable level, and also upcoming improvements from the developers' side... AK2 might still get my respect afterall.

EDIT: Today I tried AK2 with an ADATA 4GB from a friend of mine. DoS intro DID NOT LAG even though the file system was FAT32, WTF DUDE! Either my Transcend is a fake or what? I'm gonna be selling all of my memories and aiming for an ADATA.

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
Searinox said:
EDIT: Today I tried AK2 with an ADATA 4GB from a friend of mine. DoS intro DID NOT LAG even though the file system was FAT32, WTF DUDE! Either my Transcend is a fake or what? I'm gonna be selling all of my memories and aiming for an ADATA.

You've got an 8gb card, yeah? Does anyone know if there's any difference speed-wise between a class 6 4gb and a class 6 8gb? I remember when the R4 first came along people were sticking to 1gb microSDs because at that time they tended to have quicker access times than the 2gb. I've got a Trancend Class 6 4gb card on the way so I'll let you know how that works.

There's a noticeable difference between the same SD card in the R4 and AceKard2, on standard SD cards at any rate. I put both the AK and R4 firmware on the same card (A Sandisc 2gb) and ran Track and Field. The black screen before an event was about half a second on the R4 and about 3 seconds on the AK2. Hopefully a Class 6 SDHC will make things a bit smoother.

Searinox

"Dances" with Dragons
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
No I have a FOUR GB microSDHC. My point is Transcend class 6 is no more than 10% faster than my old Kingmax 2GB in castlevania intro. I borrowed an ADATA from my friend and even though it was FAT32 formatted it did NOT lag one bit.

I dun think size is that important. I just tried DoS on my 512MB Kingston and it's acting the slowest of all.

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
Hmm, wish I'd read this thread before ordering the Transcend then...

I'm not bothered about the Castlevania intro, pretty much all carts have difficulties with it - have you noticed any in-game lag or long loading times within games with the AK2 and Transcend 4gb?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/fRENPoVaZHk?si=0xgCyaSVzuc5GD5F