Hacking iPlayer GBA Emulator Review

dudereno

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
iPlayer GBA Emulator Review.

Comprehensive review of every facet of the Emulator. Including GUI screens, games tested and initial setup.

thumb_gbamenu1.jpg

http://two-screens.com/index.php/reviews/i...tor-review.html

iPlayer review can be found here also.

http://two-screens.com/index.php/reviews/iplayer-review.html

dudereno

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the positive feedback, it's appreciated.

@PharaohsVizier: The web site is pretty much still in flux. I'm still not sure about the overall design. I wanted a nice simple clean look but perhaps its a little bland for some tastes. More reviews are incoming. It's great to finally have one central resource for all my ramblings.
smile.gif

YayMii

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I have a question.
Does this emulator work 100% (no lag) with Mother 3? I'm just wondering because usually the lag makes it hard to music combo in the game.

Princess Rozalin

†GBAtemp Official Princess Of Roses†
Trophies
Website
z10.invisionfree.com
XP
Country
United States
i see so it wasnt just my imagination so for Some Games you cant Save.man this Sucks i already been Playing Yu-Gi-Oh! Soul Of The Duelist and it wont save.how am i suppose to save my Progress when i win the Whole game or if i wanna switch my save to the VBA Emulator?

metal01

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was going to make a thread about the Iplayer I just got mine and have followed the instructions to load, it would some pleease take the time to list the exact files I need to load to run the iplayer?

dudereno

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
YayMii said:
Does this emulator work 100% (no lag) with Mother 3?
I tried the English patched fan translation and it ran. The default save didn't work so you have to use save states. I can't vouch for full speed emulation as I never played the original. But it ran ok, though I only played through the opening 20 minutes of the game.

QUOTE(IchigoUchiha13 @ Dec 16 2009, 10:30 AM) i see so it wasn't just my imagination so for Some Games you cant Save.man this Sucks i already been Playing Yu-Gi-Oh! Soul Of The Duelist and it wont save.how am i suppose to save my Progress when i win the Whole game or if i wanna switch my save to the VBA Emulator?
That is a good question. I've heard rumours that the iPlayer GBA emulator is based on the gPSP code, so whether the save/save states are "interchangeable" between ports needs testing.

I've cleaned up some of the text in the review and the many typos.
smile.gif

Princess Rozalin

Trophies
Website
z10.invisionfree.com
XP
Country
United States
[/quote]
That is a good question. I've heard rumours that the iPlayer GBA emulator is based on the gPSP code, so whether the save/save states are "interchangeable" between ports needs testing.[/quote]
wait so are you testing this.my friend told me the same thing that Iplayer GBA emu is based of gpsp for the PSP.

Normmatt

Former AKAIO Programmer
Trophies
Website
normmatt.com
XP
Country
New Zealand
IchigoUchiha13 said:
That is a good question. I've heard rumours that the iPlayer GBA emulator is based on the gPSP code, so whether the save/save states are "interchangeable" between ports needs testing.
wait so are you testing this.my friend told me the same thing that Iplayer GBA emu is based of gpsp for the PSP.

Because it is, and if you copy the game_config.txt from the psp port into the main plugin folder where the save folder and screen shot folders are it will allow more games to work properly and at better speeds.

Princess Rozalin

Trophies
Website
z10.invisionfree.com
XP
Country
United States
Normmatt said:
IchigoUchiha13 said:

Because it is, and if you copy the game_config.txt from the psp port into the main plugin folder where the save folder and screen shot folders are it will allow more games to work properly and at better speeds.
hey Normatt i tried doing what you said and it Worked i manage to Save my Yu-gi-oh! Soul Of The Duelist is a 32kb Sav

EDIT:Ok Problem i cant Trasfer it to my VBA since it has to be 64kb or 128kb

EDIT:NVM Saving is not Working Anymore -.-

dudereno

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Normmatt said:
IchigoUchiha13 said:

I'm not very well up with the psp homebrew scene. Was 0.9 the latest/last version of gPSP? I've copied the game_config.txt file across and i'm now in the process of re-testing some games. I wonder if the Ipod port uses the same text file and whether it has a more recent game config list.

Anyway, thanks for the headsup Normmatt. I noticed that you can add flash_rom_types like 128KB to games list. This should aid folks trying to get the .savs working correctly instead of relying on save states. I haven't the foggiest what the idle_loop_eliminate_target option does.

Princess Rozalin

Trophies
Website
z10.invisionfree.com
XP
Country
United States
dudereno said:
Normmatt said:
IchigoUchiha13 said:

I'm not very well up with the psp homebrew scene. Was 0.9 the latest/last version of gPSP? I've copied the game_config.txt file across and i'm now in the process of re-testing some games. I wonder if the Ipod port uses the same text file and whether it has a more recent game config list.

Anyway, thanks for the headsup Normmatt. I noticed that you can add flash_rom_types like 128KB to games list. This should aid folks trying to get the .savs working correctly instead of relying on save states. I haven't the foggiest what the idle_loop_eliminate_target option does.
Ok i keep messing with the IPlayer and the txt list to see if i find anything new to share.Let me know if you find something Else dudereno.

dudereno

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Since adding the game_config.txt I've had a small amount of time to retest some GBA games. Now both Warioland 4 and Mario Kart Super Circuit both save properly. The curious thing is they are not included in the .txt file? Very strange. Golden sun still doesn't save and even though there's a Doom II code it still runs at 1-2fps. I'll test some more if I get some more free time over the holidays.

Destructobot

Crave the Hammer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
In the review, does the lack of a speed/framerate note for a game imply that that particular game seems to run at full speed with frameskip turned off? I have yet to find a review of this emulator that really spells out how fast it is.

dudereno

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Destructobot said:
In the review, does the lack of a speed/framerate note for a game imply that that particular game seems to run at full speed with frameskip turned off? I have yet to find a review of this emulator that really spells out how fast it is.

Ahh, I should of made that clearer. All the game I tested were played using the default settings. The default is frame skip type=auto/Frame skip level 2. I understand that most people wouldn't "twiddle" with any of the settings unless there was an issue with a particular game. In fact changing to manual and setting the frame skip to the highest level 9 doesn't seem to cure any problem games like Doom II.

Thanks for pointing this out, I will add a note highlighting what settings I used when bench testing the games.

dudereno

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Right. Just tried Mario Kart Super Circuit with the frame skip set to manual and 0 frame skip. I thought I'd check out a title that needs good constant framerate. Plays a bit too fast and the sound is slightly glitchly(not cutting out but kind of fluffy, is the best way I can describe it. Like it being passed through a bit crusher filter if you are familiar with VSTi plugins). But the frame rate appears constant.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/yjrjY6PCb7o?si=xnFz0B2o_adIgLTV +1