iPlayer GBA Emulator Review

Discussion in 'Other Flashing Hardware & Software' started by dudereno, Dec 8, 2009.

Dec 8, 2009

iPlayer GBA Emulator Review by dudereno at 8:45 AM (4,439 Views / 0 Likes) 26 replies

1. dudereno
    OP

Member dudereno GBAtemp Regular

United States

2. DjoeN

Member DjoeN Captain Haddock!

Belgium
    Nicely done, congrats! every info on it on 1 page.

3. dudereno
    OP

United States
    Thanks for the positive feedback, it's appreciated.

@PharaohsVizier: The web site is pretty much still in flux. I'm still not sure about the overall design. I wanted a nice simple clean look but perhaps its a little bland for some tastes. More reviews are incoming. It's great to finally have one central resource for all my ramblings. [​IMG]

4. YayMii

Member YayMii hi

Canada
    I have a question.
    Does this emulator work 100% (no lag) with Mother 3? I'm just wondering because usually the lag makes it hard to music combo in the game.

5. Princess Rozalin

Member Princess Rozalin †GBAtemp Official Princess Of Roses†

United States
    i see so it wasnt just my imagination so for Some Games you cant Save.man this Sucks i already been Playing Yu-Gi-Oh! Soul Of The Duelist and it wont save.how am i suppose to save my Progress when i win the Whole game or if i wanna switch my save to the VBA Emulator?

6. metal01

Member metal01 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I was going to make a thread about the Iplayer I just got mine and have followed the instructions to load, it would some pleease take the time to list the exact files I need to load to run the iplayer?

7. Hatsu

Banned Hatsu Someone's been killing, eh?

Australia
    This a good review, I'd recommend this to a lot of people.

8. nitrostemp

Member nitrostemp GBAtemp Maniac

Australia
    it is usefull if you want to get a dstwo

9. dudereno
    OP

United States
    That is a good question. I've heard rumours that the iPlayer GBA emulator is based on the gPSP code, so whether the save/save states are "interchangeable" between ports needs testing.

I've cleaned up some of the text in the review and the many typos. [​IMG]

10. Princess Rozalin

United States
    [/quote]
    That is a good question. I've heard rumours that the iPlayer GBA emulator is based on the gPSP code, so whether the save/save states are "interchangeable" between ports needs testing.[/quote]
    wait so are you testing this.my friend told me the same thing that Iplayer GBA emu is based of gpsp for the PSP.

11. Normmatt

Member Normmatt Former AKAIO Programmer

New Zealand
    Because it is, and if you copy the game_config.txt from the psp port into the main plugin folder where the save folder and screen shot folders are it will allow more games to work properly and at better speeds.

12. Princess Rozalin

United States
    hey Normatt i tried doing what you said and it Worked i manage to Save my Yu-gi-oh! Soul Of The Duelist is a 32kb Sav

EDIT:Ok Problem i cant Trasfer it to my VBA since it has to be 64kb or 128kb

EDIT:NVM Saving is not Working Anymore -.-

13. dudereno
    OP

United States
    I'm not very well up with the psp homebrew scene. Was 0.9 the latest/last version of gPSP? I've copied the game_config.txt file across and i'm now in the process of re-testing some games. I wonder if the Ipod port uses the same text file and whether it has a more recent game config list.

Anyway, thanks for the headsup Normmatt. I noticed that you can add flash_rom_types like 128KB to games list. This should aid folks trying to get the .savs working correctly instead of relying on save states. I haven't the foggiest what the idle_loop_eliminate_target option does.

14. Princess Rozalin

United States
    Ok i keep messing with the IPlayer and the txt list to see if i find anything new to share.Let me know if you find something Else dudereno.

15. dudereno
    OP

United States
    Since adding the game_config.txt I've had a small amount of time to retest some GBA games. Now both Warioland 4 and Mario Kart Super Circuit both save properly. The curious thing is they are not included in the .txt file? Very strange. Golden sun still doesn't save and even though there's a Doom II code it still runs at 1-2fps. I'll test some more if I get some more free time over the holidays.

16. Destructobot

Member Destructobot Crave the Hammer

United States
    In the review, does the lack of a speed/framerate note for a game imply that that particular game seems to run at full speed with frameskip turned off? I have yet to find a review of this emulator that really spells out how fast it is.

17. dudereno
    OP

United States
    Ahh, I should of made that clearer. All the game I tested were played using the default settings. The default is frame skip type=auto/Frame skip level 2. I understand that most people wouldn't "twiddle" with any of the settings unless there was an issue with a particular game. In fact changing to manual and setting the frame skip to the highest level 9 doesn't seem to cure any problem games like Doom II.

Thanks for pointing this out, I will add a note highlighting what settings I used when bench testing the games.

18. Destructobot

United States
    I would really like to know how games run with frameskip turned off.

19. dudereno
    OP

United States
    Right. Just tried Mario Kart Super Circuit with the frame skip set to manual and 0 frame skip. I thought I'd check out a title that needs good constant framerate. Plays a bit too fast and the sound is slightly glitchly(not cutting out but kind of fluffy, is the best way I can describe it. Like it being passed through a bit crusher filter if you are familiar with VSTi plugins). But the frame rate appears constant.

20. Destructobot

United States
    It plays too fast? Is there a vsync option you can turn on? That should cap it at 60 FPS.

Thank you, BTW. I've been wanting better info ever since I heard of this emuator.