Hacking Internet Browser R4DS?

wastedyeti

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi I think im going to purchase an R4DS if i dont get one for my birthday. But i was wondering if there are any homebrew browsers out that i could download and use on the R4DS. I hear its difficult to set up Opera for the R4, so any input on homebrew internet browsers would be great. Also do you guys find that most homebrew apps work well with the R4. Im really excited to get into the homebrew stuff.

Icarus

fire walk with me
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
No, there are no homebrew Internet Browsers yet, but you can use Opera Browser with the help of a slot 2 card. Most homebrews work just fine with R4 but of course it's still not as good as Slot 2 cards yet.. You just need to wait until the developers release their homebrews with a DLDI patch.

wastedyeti

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are slot 2 cards and RAM expansion cards the same? Also if a ds homebrew app doesnt work and the developer patches it with DLDI it will work with the R4 ds and im assuming other slot 1 cards? Why dont they all just patch their apps? Is it hard?

imgod22222

GBAtemp's Original No-faced Member
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
slot 2 cards and RAM expansions are NOT the same thing.
All DS RAM expansions are slot 2 cards.
NOT all slot 2 cards have RAM in them (supercard rumble, etc)
so that means, get a SuperCard SD if you have SD cards lyingg about. I know there's another one (i think the M3 Perfect) but I don't know if its that one that also has RAM. If it has GBA support, it has RAM. But Triforce only patched the Opera Browser to work with the Supercard or the M3.

wastedyeti

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cool. So if i say got the Supercard SD, I could use the Opera browser, play GBA games, and use it as a RAM expansion (cause of the SD card)? Thanks for all the help by the way!

Icarus

fire walk with me
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
You have to install DS Linux to get this browser work..
unsure.gif

screamster101

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
My DS Browser works with my SC lite slot 2 card. rumor has it the M3 lite works as well with the R4. Of course, you will need a patch for the rom to work.
biggrin.gif

pembriar

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

You were able to get DSLinux wifi working on R4? I've tried for this past week to get DSLinux to connect to ANY AP and have had NO luck... Could you tell me how you got that working? So far I've been SOL using the "wifi" script or command line ifconfig nds ... Crazy thing is, I can connect to Nintendo wifi fine via multiplayer wifi game mode. Can't get wifi_lib_test or any wifi homebrew going.
wacko.gif

Would love to know which nds nightly release of dslinux you used... TIA!

2cb2ct7

Trophies
XP
Country
Anybody know if the patched opera browser will work on an R4 using a G6 Lite as the slot2 cart? Does G6 Lite use RAM?

Louse76

Trophies
Website
myspace.com
XP
Country
United States
Anyone know where I can get the patch for the Opera Browser?

Asking for the full ROM would be against forum rules, so I am not asking for that, but just the patch. I have the original OPERA rom through what are (of course) legal means.

PM me.

Louse76

Trophies
Website
myspace.com
XP
Country
United States
R4 can work with opera browser even without any patches. but u need slot2 ram card of course.

Exactly. But if you don't have the RAM pack, a SC or M3 can be substituted BUT you gonna have to patch it.

So I can use the regular OPERA ROM with my girlfriend's GBA Micro's Supercard SD in Slot2 of my DS Lite without patching?

Otherwise, if I can locate the patched version, or patch the one that I have (PM to help me out if you can), I don't need the Supercard SD? Will there be any problems or performance issues if I don't have the RAM?

Thanks!
yaynds.gif

bl21

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
plus it is definetly not a pleasure to surf internet with ds lite. the screen is way too small.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty
    what are you looking at?
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BakerMan, it wasnt aimed at you but ok