Gaming Interesting Letter from N regarding Piracy

tHciNc

Total Random
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
In a letter to the U.S. Trade Representative Nintendo urges the Government to put pressure on foreign countries to do a better job at tackling online piracy. The game company says it’s suffering “huge losses” due to the unauthorized distribution of their games. Among other things, Nintendo calls for blocking of file-sharing websites and criminal prosecution against those who pirate games or facilitate copyright infringement.

Source: https://torrentfreak.com/nintendo-wants-to-hunt-down-game-pirates-and-block-websites-130225/
http://www.scribd.com/doc/127142545/301-Nintendo-of-America-2013-FINAL-With-Signature

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
they want the government to do a better job? well maybe they should do a better job 1st the wiis online is a fucking hackers paradise there is NO security whatsoever!

PolloDiablo

Madre de Dios! Es El POLLO DIABLO!!!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That was fun to read!
I only made a quick read but I managed to notice that they didn't aim for the hacking scene, I guess they're too busy dealing with the chinese flashcart industry and ROM sharing of old systems.

I'm glad none of the private torrent trackers I use are on that list.

woah!, I have to buy one of those "game copiers"! :lol:

Densetsu

Pubic Ninja
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Now where's that old report that Sega did on piracy during the Dreamcast days?! Hmmm.
Well, those were different times. In 1996 I was one of the first of anyone I knew personally to own a CD-R drive, and the majority of my friends didn't get a CD-R until years later. Back then most people didn't have the means to pirate, and torrents were all but unheard of. Now everyone has a way to rip ISOs, upload them for sharing, huge hard drives to store all those ISOs and access them easily from the console (think of the Wii). Not to mention, the Internet has exploded in the past 15 or so years and it's much easier to find information on how to pirate now more than ever. Had Sega filed the same report today, it would be taken a lot more seriously.

XDel

Author of Alien Breed: Projekt Odamex
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, those were different times. In 1996 I was one of the first of anyone I knew personally to own a CD-R drive, and the majority of my friends didn't get a CD-R until years later. Back then most people didn't have the means to pirate, and torrents were all but unheard of. Now everyone has a way to rip ISOs, upload them for sharing, huge hard drives to store all those ISOs and access them easily from the console (think of the Wii). Not to mention, the Internet has exploded in the past 15 or so years and it's much easier to find information on how to pirate now more than ever. Had Sega filed the same report today, it would be taken a lot more seriously.

We were doing all this with Tape Cassettes and VHS tapes years before the internet and burnable CD's. Boot legs have never been uncommon.

In regards to Sega's study, which it appears you are familiar with, one of the branches of Government did the same study a couple years back. Needless to say their results came back the same as Sega's except in their study they said that it appeared that more than anything pirating worked more as free advert enticing than anything, especially considering that your average pirate/collector would have never had the cash to buy all the stuff in his bootleg collection, thus no money lost. In fact I would have to say that everyone I know an their grandma pirates. I used to deal boot legs of DC games to a local preacher and cop, and even these people still buy products, the fact that they can pirate never fully curved their desire to go out and shop. Besides do you know how many people stress shop? I.E. go to the store during a cloudy day and find something to buy and lift up their spirits for a while.

Consumerism isn't going anywhere, and piracy is just being used as an excuse just like the so called war on drugs. They are going to spend more on this campaign than what they loose due to piracy in the long run, and not because they are stupid, but because this is part of a another and much more sinister agenda all together, but as I always say...

...everyone will get the chance to see in time, though sadly many will call it freedom.

OrGoN3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Good thing Dreamcast didn't come out until closer to the end of 1999 (9.9.99 I still have the shirt somewhere I'm sure). If you had the knowledge in 2000 to know where to get images from, or the Utopia boot CDs (or whomevers you used), then you were techy enough to have owned a CD-Writer by June of 2000.

Most people are missing the point. As it was said earlier, Nintendo is responsible for not using good enough security (or any at all) and the only one to blame. On top of that, all of the reports showing those "huge" potential losses, take into assumption that if one were not able to illegally download the games for free, they would purchase ALL of them at full retail value (aka, brand new, not second hand), which we all know is never the case.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
First comment from the TorrentFreak article -
-> Have record profits many years straight
-> Those very same years, piracy is thriving like never before on their current gen consoles
-> Release new systems, with currently unbroken DRM
-> Suffer huge profit loss
-> Blames piracy for loss
[/Nintendo logic]

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_NTF5_qgH0o