installing NVRAM

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Magus, Sep 5, 2015.

1. Magus
    OP

Magus GBATEMP RPG MANIAC

Oct 26, 2002
    well i'm sick of booting cubic ninja everytime, i heard i can skip that using this option but i'm not sure what it does entail, does it actualy modify things in my original firmware? what should i do exactly?

2. lemanuel

lemanuel Maxconsole's All-Knowing Lurker

Dec 11, 2014
    Portugal
    It downgrades the Mset component (system settings) of your console so that you can use the Profile exploit.
    What are you using, GW or any other CFW?

3. VerseHell

VerseHell GBAtemp Psycho!

Jun 29, 2014
    France
    If you're talking about the gateway, everything is in the official manual.

4. lemanuel

Dec 11, 2014
    Portugal
  5. Magus
    OP

Magus GBATEMP RPG MANIAC

Oct 26, 2002
    yeah i'm using gateway

so it does affect official firmware, should i do it? i'd rather not fuck up with the official firmware at all if possible, i'm on N3DS by the way

6. lemanuel

Dec 11, 2014
    Portugal
    There's not really a problem with it. It won't really change anything important and it's much more easy to use than always booting CN.
    And if you have a backup of your NAND, you can always restore it back to how it was before anyway.

7. Magus
    OP

Magus GBATEMP RPG MANIAC

Oct 26, 2002
    the manual says i need a mset_xxx.cia where xxx depend from my region, i'm in europe so what mset do i need exactly?

8. lemanuel

Dec 11, 2014
    Portugal
    mset_eur.cia ;)

9. Magus
    OP

Magus GBATEMP RPG MANIAC

Oct 26, 2002
    ok, another question, i found this guide that says

- sysNAND settings are downgraded to 4.5 and got no settings for Nintendo Account (NNID)

is this going to fuck up my online settings or shit like that? i remember not being able to do certain stuff in MH4 until i set a proper NNID and i wouldn't want to break that

10. lemanuel

Dec 11, 2014
    Portugal
    Since the system settings is downgraded, you won't have access to NNID in sysnand anymore. But you'll still have it in emunand.
    As long as you have everything already set up, there shouldn't be a problem.

In any case, remember that you can easily revert back if you happen to have any issue after doing it.

11. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    Mine is downgraded and since I only use emuNAND anyway and I can still access all the settings there, it's not a problem. But it's easy to install the original 9.x mset if you find out you need to access the missing sysNAND settings for some reason.

lemanuel likes this.
  12. Magus
    OP

Magus GBATEMP RPG MANIAC

Oct 26, 2002
    allright i tried following the instruction in the manual and i got a black screen when using devmenu after booting gateway mode through sysnand, suggestions?

EDIT: i have emunand already all setup and been used for a while could that be the problem?

13. DjoeN

DjoeN Captain Haddock!

Oct 21, 2005
    Belgium
    Somewhere in this potatoland!
    Little more info would be usefull, the only thing we know:
    - You have a N3DS
    - You boot Gateway through Cubic Ninja

What we don't know:
    - Gateway Launcher version
    - Sysnand Version
    - Emunand version

14. Magus
    OP

Magus GBATEMP RPG MANIAC

Oct 26, 2002

anyway i've been following another guide and it says

If there is a blackscreen on booting DEVMENU (freeze), there might be a fragmentation
    or Filesystem error in one of your used microSD's. Fix it or use another one!

i did have fragmentation problem a while ago, i'm just formatting the microSD i use for my gateway and see if that fix it

15. Magus
    OP

Magus GBATEMP RPG MANIAC

Oct 26, 2002
    well i don't get a black screen anymore but now i get a "cartridge has been removed, press home button" error

16. VerseHell

VerseHell GBAtemp Psycho!

Jun 29, 2014
    France
    You can use the latest FBI version (be sure to choose destination : nand)

17. Magus
    OP

Magus GBATEMP RPG MANIAC

Oct 26, 2002
    i have no idea what an FBI is, i read another user having the same problem and solving by using bigbluemenu in order to install devmenu in order to install the exploit which is what i was doing

https://gbatemp.net/threads/gw-3-2-devmenu-game-card-has-been-removed-error.387685/

EDIT: oh, it's another cia installer, exploit can only be installed with devmenu otherwise i would just use bigbluemenu in order to install it

18. lemanuel

Dec 11, 2014
    Portugal
    You can actually use BBM or any other. It's not necessary to specifically use devmenu.

19. Magus
    OP

Magus GBATEMP RPG MANIAC

Oct 26, 2002
    well i ended up following the instruction in that thread and everything worked, is there a way to remove devmenu from sysnand since i don't need it anymore?

EDIT: just deleted it from system setting and everything should be fine and dandy now

Last edited by Magus, Sep 5, 2015
  20. Neptune

Neptune GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Dec 7, 2003
    United States
    Internet
    Yes you will, just not from that menu. I figured out a way to get back to the NNID screen awhile back. If I recall correctly if you DIDN'T have an NNID set up and launched a game that required it, like MH4U, you could select the option to create one and it dumps you to the NNID screen.