Hacking Installing a switch for a Wiikey?

nhindian

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey, I already have my Wiikey installed but due to a lack of updates from the dev team and me already preordering Brawl, I kind of want to install a switch so I will be able to play my legit copy.

Does anyone have a good guide to do this, preferably with pictures or videos? Also, can I buy everything I need to disassemble and install the switch at local stores or do I have to order anything? I know the Tri-wing screwdriver may pose a problem...

I am sort of a rookie when it comes to Wii modding since I bought my Wii used which already had the key installed so I've never actually taken it apart myself. Thanks for the help!

Rykin

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Personally, I don't think the Wiikey team has a Jap Wii/Copy of Brawl, which is why we haven't seen an update. I imagine one will come shortly after Brawl US is released.

However, if your can't wait...

It depends on how your Wiikey is installed. If it's installed as a quicksolder, it will be more complicated, but if it's installed with Wires your job will be much easier.

From what I understand, you only need to add a switch to the 3.3v voltage line. On this image, the VCC is the 3.3v volt on the Wii driveboard:
http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q86/Ber...wii_rebuild.jpg

You can go into a local radioshack and browse through the drawers of switches and find one that you like and you can decide where you want to install it. You can also goto radioshack.com, search for "switches" and that will give you an idea of what they have and the costs.

What you need to do is install a switch between the VCC on the board and the point the VCC solders to on the modchip. If the current wire is long enough, you can cut it and simply attach the switch betwen the cut wires. You may need to replace the original VCC wire if it's not long enough for your switch placement.

Good luck.

BvanBart

Gaming addict #2 and some
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Here's mine :
sc.jpg

nhindian

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So if I already have a Wiikey installed, I don't have to solder anything new to the chip? I just have to snip my wire that connects the VCC to the GND , solder the wires from the leads on the switch to the ends of the chip's wires and I'm good to go?

That is really simple if so... just have to get my hands on the pieces needed to open the case. Can I buy a tri-wing screwdriver in stores or do I have to order it?

Rykin

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Normally, the wires goes from VCC -- > Wiikey.

When you buy your switch, it will have two legs.

You want you wire to go like this:
VCC ---> Switch leg #1
Switch leg #2 --- > Wiikey (where the VCC used to be connected).

Basically, your putting a switch in the middle of one of the wires.

Instead of using the VCC(PWR,3.3v,WHATEVER) you /can/ use the GRD. It should have the same desired effect. You don't need to do both.

nhindian

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, thanks! Do you think if I order a triwing tonight I can receive it before Sunday? I want to be able to play SSBB during my break..

Rykin

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
nhindian said:
Ok, thanks! Do you think if I order a triwing tonight I can receive it before Sunday? I want to be able to play SSBB during my break..

That all depends on where you order the screwdriver from. You have nearly a week, so in theory you'll get it before Sunday.

ccfman2004

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My wiikey was working perfectly before I tried this.

I wanted to play US Brawl before making a copy of it.

I cut the the VCC wire to play it.

When I reattached the cut wire, my wii will no longer recognize copied games.

Everything worked fine before hand.

ccfman2004

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am testing while everything is open.

I tested the continuity for all points and everything checked out.

I even tested the points on the drive chip itself to the corresponding lead on the wiikey chip and everything still checks out.

I can't understand why it does not work when it did.

I also checked for shorts and did not find any.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZbUuSmFgMo