Install CFW the easy way

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by vinhdt, Jan 18, 2015.

1. vinhdt
    OP

vinhdt Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 14, 2009
    United States
    Is this the correct or easy way to install CFW? I know it's not legal to post the link to DevMenu_2x.cia so I did a Google search and was able to find it. I placed the DevMenu_2x.cia or BigBlueMenu.cia on the big SD card. I then placed the DevMenu_2x..3ds or BigBlueMenu.3ds on the micro sd card or the red Gateway card. I went into Gateway mode and launch BigBlueMenu.3ds and drilled down to the BigBlueMenu.cia on the big SD card and install it. I did see it installed successfully. My question is that the correct way to install CFW?

2. vinhdt
    OP

vinhdt Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 14, 2009
    United States
    Additional info: I already did the format Emunand before the process. Also, I've format the sysnand settings too.

3. daxtsu

daxtsu GBAtemp Guru

Jun 9, 2007
    Antarctica
    If you have a Gateway already, there's literally zero benefit to using the 4.x CFW. Or am I misunderstanding your first post?

To answer the question though, once you have the devmenu installed, you're good to go. Having a Gateway makes it easier, yes, but it's still pointless to use the leaked CFW after that.

4. ground

ground GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 22, 2007
    Netherlands
    I think you are confused, a cfw is totally different than devmenu. But just put bbb menu on your gw micro sd, no need for installing.

5. vinhdt
    OP

vinhdt Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 14, 2009
    United States
    I installed it on my 2DS 9.2.0.20U firmware.

6. vinhdt
    OP

vinhdt Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 14, 2009
    United States
    I guess I just like it to be there in case someone created a homebrew app that can play 3ds or iso file in the future just like how the USB Loader GX can load iso file on the Wii. If that happen, we no longer need MT-Card or Gateway card.

7. daxtsu

daxtsu GBAtemp Guru

Jun 9, 2007
    Antarctica
    The closest solution to that right now is the leaked CFW, but even that has issues (stuck on 4.x firmware, can't play games above around 6.x firmware, unstable when booting it, can't play retail carts above whatever your current firmware is, due to no spoofing, etc.). Flash carts are the only really viable solution right now, until someone releases a newer CFW (or improves the old one). I wouldn't get your hopes up though. The 3DS scene is more or less the same as the old infant PS3 scene; infested with DRM devices and shadow groups who keep things to themselves for one reason or another. The Wii and PSP were the last great homebrew scenes, in my opinion. I just hope the future proves me wrong.

P.S.: By shadow groups, I'm not referring to the nice devs like StapleButter and Drenn, Rinnegatamante, etc. Those who do share homebrew and their findings.

VinsCool likes this.