1. Robfozz

OP Robfozz GBAtemp Smartass

United States
    Is there a homebrew application that will let me install a PKG without copying it to the HDD first, like multiman does? Im trying to install Ni No Kuni which is about 20gb, and I have more than enough space for it but with the duplicate pkg on the hard drive taking another 20gb I cant do it. Anything out there that can do this for me?

2. Retroboy

Retroboy GBAtemp Addict

you can copy the PKG to a usb device but seeing as its 20GB it wont work on a FAT32 USB, you could configure it as NTFS so it works with MM.

3. Robfozz

United States
    Thats what Im doing currently but when I go to install the PKG through multiman it still copies the PKG to the HDD first instead of directly installing it. What Im asking is if theres a way to just install it from the USB so I dont need to have double the HDD space

4. Rockhoundhigh

Rockhoundhigh Man with a mission

United States
    I haven't heard of anything that could fix your problem. Sounds to me like you either need to upgrade your internal hard drive or use an external NTFS drive with a disc version of the game.

5. Retroboy

Retroboy GBAtemp Addict

The problem is its size by default the PS3 wont detect NTFS usb devices, as the guy above said it would be easier to download a disc rip of the game.

its not actually a good idea to source large games like this in PKG format for the problem your having, it requires 2x the disc space to store the pkg and install it.

your better off getting a USB HDD and copy ripped games to it.

6. Robfozz

United States
    Well I guess a little PSA here, I found an app that lets you do exactly this called Irisman. You put your large PKG on an NTFS USB, go into its file manager and it temporarily makes it installable from the XMBs PKG manager without copying it to the HDD and taking up that extra space.

Last edited by Robfozz, Dec 14, 2017
    DallasBelt likes this.
  7. ochentay4

ochentay4 Advanced Member
    Newcomer

Argentina
    Could you explain more how to do it? I cant replicate what you did and I desperately want the same you did.

8. Robfozz

United States
    Get an NTFS drive so you can place a full, unsplit PKG on it and plug it in. Open up Irisman, hit start and Tools then File Manager. Find your PKG, press Square and choose Mount + Exit. You'll be taken back to the XMB and your PKG will show up in the Install PKG section like normal.

9. djender

djender Advanced Member
    Newcomer

Venezuela
    Hey Robfozz could you PM me where to find pkg format games? I like them that way because they install like an original game.

Last edited by djender, Dec 16, 2017
  10. godreborn

godreborn GBAtemp Guru

United States
    you should be able to by using your router and pc. alternatively, you can package just the PARAM.SFO which is 100KBs to add it to the metadata indexer. it will say you need the eboot.bin and the icon0.png, but you don't. only the PARAM.SFO is copied into the indexer. this is my first tutorial with robocopy to mass install games. it will create all directories and only copy the PARAM.SFO. rebuild the database and done. :)

11. theplumber

theplumber Member
    Newcomer

Hey Robfozz -- I rarely log in on GBAtemp, but I logged in just to say thank YOU. I spent my entire day pondering and researching for a solution to this issue -- to the point where I was experiencing a headache. Coming across your post not only alleviated my headache but serves a solution to my problem. THANKS!

12. The1stOne

The1stOne Member
    Newcomer

Sweden
    I can recommend using PS3NetSrv. If your PS3 is on a home network, you install the PS3NetSrv on your computer. Then I prefer to use sMan, but it works with multiMan and webMan also, to connect to the PS3NetSrv on your computer. From there, I share both game-folders (GAMES) and .pkg-files (PKG). Makes it easy to install the package without even putting the package on or near the PS3. If you/anyone need some help, just ask and I might clarify things. (There is a nice tutorial over at psx-place.)

13. theplumber

theplumber Member
    Newcomer

Hmm...thank you for the idea. I may go with this approach as I am having a hard time getting reActPSN to locate the exdata folder on my NTFS usb drive. How do rap (.RAP) files with with PKG (.PKG) with PS3NetSrv?

14. The1stOne

The1stOne Member
    Newcomer

Sweden
    1. Can't you use a FAT32 USB-drive to put the exdata-folder?
    2. I sometimes find reActPsn a bit stubborn, requiring the creation of "aa"-user and whatnot. So I switched to PSNPatch, which allows me to put my .rap-files on the HDD (I transfer them there through FTP). But you must edit the default config-file for PSNPatch and tell it where your exdata-folder on the HDD is!
    3. I don't think .rap-files can be installed through the PS3NetSrv, mainly because I don't think reActPsn or PSNPatch can use the network-path(s).

15. DallasBelt

DallasBelt Newbie
    Newcomer

Ecuador
    Hey! 1.5 years later, but can you tell me if it's normal that it takes too long to install the pkg? I tried to install a 6GB file and it was taking forever. FTP seems faster with PKG Linker and a shared connection, but I want to avoid using the PC and setting up the server... Thanks :)

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - Install, without, copying