ROM Hack Injecting SysNAND of one 3DS into the EmuNAND of Another?

FlappyFalco

Smile, No Matter How Bad it Gets~
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
I currently have two 3DSes. One is an original 3DS that was gotten shortly after the price drop. Let's call this 3DS 1. The second is a 3DS XL that was gotten in the January of 2014 to prepare for Sm4sh. Let's call this 3DS 2.

Last year, I installed a CFW (RXTools) on the 3DS 1 as I had forgotten about it and was pleasantly surprised to find it on a firmware below 9.2. While I forget the exact process, I remember that it went fairly smoothly. There was almost nothing on the SysNAND to begin with as I had moved everything over to 3DS 2 long ago.

Later, around 3 months ago, when downgrading through the Userland Homebrew Launcher became a thing, I downgraded 3DS 2 to 9.2 and also installed RXTools. The process I used, however was very different. I used EmuNAND9 to set up the EmuNAND on the SD Card, however another step involved using an app on the 3DS called TinyFormat to format (completely wipe) and then "split" the SysNAND and EmuNAND or something.

So that's where we get my problem. I knew that I'd be able to sign back into Nintendo Network and get my games back (the account was "disconnected" from my 3DS and the games where gone, allowing another 3DS {or in this case, another NAND} to sign in to that account and download the games again, PSN style), and that saves on carts would be fine, but I also foolishly thought that the the data on my SD card would also be safe.

However, I was wrong obviously, as each 3DS has a unique way of saving saves and extradata to the SD card, and it can only be read/decrypted on that 3DS. I guess I was under the impression that the EmuNAND was just a clone of the SysNAND, but that's obviously not the case.

So now all of my saves for eShop games, as well as Fantasy Life (as that saves to the SD card) are gone, and no, neither Decrypt9 nor simply replacing the save files on the SD card, work. My current SysNAND also refuses to recognize the saves (corrupt data), so I'm guessing either TinyFormat or EmuNAND9 changed that up as well.

Now, thing is, I have a dump of the original NAND that was used to write those saves, as well as a back up of the SD card before I hacked 3DS 2, and I was thinking that I could replace that over the EmuNAND of 3DS 1 and then back up the saves with JK's Savemanager and just move them over. Would this be possible? And how could it be done?

TL;DR Is it possible to replace the EmuNAND of one 3DS with the SysNAND of another 3DS in order to recover saves on the SD card?

Last edited by FlappyFalco,

Cinnamon

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
You cannot use NANDs from a different 3DS.

Case 1:
If the Nintendo 3DS folder from your "3DS 2" with the saves etc are intact: Boot "3DS 2" Emunand and check if they are still there. That emunand should be a clone of your original sysNAND where you have you games etc. If you have a backup of your sysNAND, which you should, you may backup your existing emuNAND(remember backup) with it.

Case 2: (quite likely)
If you don't have a Nintendo 3DS folder on your sdcard: Making an emuNAND actually formats the whole card. EmuNAND9 may be the cause. If you have a backup of your sdcard, which you should have done before making the emuNAND, copy it back to the sdcard.

My tip:
0. Try just copying the SD card backup to your card first, it may work if you boot into emuNAND

1. Backup "3DS 2"'s current emuNAND just to be safe. Let's call this one "new"
2. Use EmuNAND9 to write your original NAND backup to EmuNAND.
3. Copy SD card backup to that same card.
4. Boot to emuNAND using your preferred CFW.
5. Use a savefile manager to backup all saves.
6. You can choose to continue using your 3DS 2 with the current setup or writing "new" to emuNAND after getting your saves. I would probably just roll with it to be honest.

Last edited by Cinnamon,
Reactions: FlappyFalco

FlappyFalco

Smile, No Matter How Bad it Gets~
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
You cannot use NANDs from a different 3DS.

Case 1:
If the Nintendo 3DS folder from your "3DS 2" with the saves etc are intact: Boot "3DS 2" Emunand and check if they are still there. That emunand should be a clone of your original sysNAND where you have you games etc. If you have a backup of your sysNAND, which you should, you may backup your existing emuNAND(remember backup) with it.

Case 2: (quite likely)
If you don't have a Nintendo 3DS folder on your sdcard: Making an emuNAND actually formats the whole card. EmuNAND9 may be the cause. If you have a backup of your sdcard, which you should have done before making the emuNAND, copy it back to the sdcard.

My tip:
0. Try just copying the SD card backup to your card first, it may work if you boot into emuNAND

1. Backup "3DS 2"'s current emuNAND just to be safe. Let's call this one "new"
2. Use EmuNAND9 to write your original NAND backup to EmuNAND.
3. Copy SD card backup to that same card.
4. Boot to emuNAND using your preferred CFW.
5. Use a savefile manager to backup all saves.
6. You can choose to continue using your 3DS 2 with the current setup or writing "new" to emuNAND after getting your saves. I would probably just roll with it to be honest.

Thanks, I never knew EmuNAND9 could inject NANDs, so I did just that, got my saves with JK's Save Manager and injected my old EmuNAND back in that I had just dumped minutes before, and imported the saves with JKSM again. Surprisingly painless, EmuNAND9 took less than 2 minutes to replace the entire NAND, and I even got back my Streetpass Plaza save (you need to export both "SaveData" and "ExtData" with JKSM).

So overall, this wasn't as big a deal as I made it out to be. Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction.

naddel81

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am having the same problem right now. I want to clone my EmuNAND from machine1 to my newly bought machine2 and use both. That is not possible by NAND transfer?

How about a system transfer and later restoring the SD card to its state before the transfer? Will that work on both machines?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How do you know if the night will be good when you're asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    because i didn't say i was asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i said i was sleeping...
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sleeping with uremum
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Even my mum slept on that uremum
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    yall im torn... ive been hacking away at tales of phantasia GBA (the USA version) and have so many documents of reverse engineering i've done
    I just found out that the EU version is better in literally every way, better sound quality, better lighting, and there's even a patch someone made to make the text look nicer
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @TwoSpikedHands just switch, all the knowledge you learned still applies and most of the code and assets should be the same anyway
    and realistically they wouldn't

be able to play it legally anyway since they need a ROM and they probably don't have the means to dump it themselves
    why the shit does the shitbox randomly insert newlines in my messages
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It does that when I edit a post.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It inserts a newline in a random spot.
    never had that i don't think
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    do y'all think having an sd card that has a write speed of 700kb/s is a bad idea?
    trying to restore emunand rn but it's taking ages... (also when I finished the first time hekate decided to delete all my fucking files :wacko:)
    @Karma177 that sd card is 100% faulty so yes, its a bad idea
    even the slowest non-sdhc sd cards are a few MB/s
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    @The Real Jdbye it hasn't given me any error trying to write things on it so I don't really think it's faulty (pasted 40/50gb+ folders and no write errors)
    Karma177 @ Karma177: @The Real Jdbye it hasn't given me any error trying to write things on it so I don't really...