injecting a save file into a Wii U VC game without CFW or Homebrew. Is it possible?

Rboy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So basically, I bought a ton of games on the Wii U eShop before it closes. been playing golden sun and its a blast. I wanted to take it on the go, so I did a little research and using dumpling dumped the save file to my sd card, transferred to my computer, used a hex editor to convert the save into a format that would be readable by GBA emulators and my gba flash cart (ez flash omega). Took the game to work with me on my GBA before I realized the problem: I have no way to put that save file back on the Wii U to play there. I haven't hacked my Wii U, I'm thinking of buying a used one to hack after the eShop goes down but I don't want to hack my original one, too scared I might mess up and brick it. I'm not afraid to really get into the technical stuff, and I have hacked one of my new 3ds xl's so I'm at least familiar with some stuff but I am a Mac user so I am restricted by that. Looking to get a windows pc at some point but for now stuck on Mac. So basically I'm just looking for a way to overwrite the save on my Wii U VC golden sun with the .sav file on my flash cart without hacking the console. Also if this isn't going to work for any number of reasons that's fine, I'm mostly just curious if its possible. If not I'll just emulate the game with the rom dump I got from my Wii U already.

TL;DR can I inject a save file to a GBA VC title on Wii U without Homebrew or CFW?

Thanks for your help!

Last edited by Rboy,

sonictopfan

Trophies
XP
Country
I believe it’s possible but you’ll need to use the homebrew exploit then get savemii.

I haven’t tested it on ofw before, only on cfw, but I have used other homebrews on ofw and they worked fine even installing games.

Last edited by sonictopfan,

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Well, you did have to run homebrew software for dumping the save file. I see no problem in using homebrew software for injecting it back.

If you don't trust homebrew like savemii to do this without bricking the Wii U, then move the game to USB drive and inject the save there (backing up before overwriting the save is a good idea).

I always hated it, that Nintendo doesn't allow save management by default on Wii U -- even worse than on 3DS.

Getting a secondary console, like you already said, is a good idea for gaining confidence. I've removed Haxchi (non-coldboot) from my main Wii U with the many purchased games) and only use Tiramisu on a secondary console.

Reactions: Lostbhoy

Rboy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, you did have to run homebrew software for dumping the save file. I see no problem in using homebrew software for injecting it back.

If you don't trust homebrew like savemii to do this without bricking the Wii U, then move the game to USB drive and inject the save there (backing up before overwriting the save is a good idea).

I always hated it, that Nintendo doesn't allow save management by default on Wii U -- even worse than on 3DS.

Getting a secondary console, like you already said, is a good idea for gaining confidence. I've removed Haxchi (non-coldboot) from my main Wii U with the many purchased games) and only use Tiramisu on a secondary console.
Oh yeah I guess I did. What I really meant was without permanently installing something on my system. any Homebrew that runs like dumpling and doesn't leave a trace is what I'm looking for.

As for the USB thing, I tried just taking the flash drive I have all my Wii U storage on and plugging it into my computer, but my computer couldn't read it. How would I go about injecting that save if I can't read the USB drive?

3DU

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think u can put SaveMii, ur save and the files for the browser exploit on ur sd card then use the browser exploit to launch savemii and inject the save then after that just delete the files on ur sd card and there won’t be a trace

Also, modding a Wii U won’t restrict ur access to Nintendo services like the e shop and the brick risk is low for tiramisu.

EDIT: there is also is a new recovery menu for the Wii U

Last edited by 3DU,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1