Hacking Discussion Informed Decision: exFAT Support vs Latest Firmware

Zumoly

GBATemp Analyst
Trophies
XP
Country
Mali
I'd advice you not to update just yet. Atmosphere is around the corner and once it gets released you can make your decision based on available options. My guess is a tool will surface that'll let you patch Sysnand (automatically in the form of a payload or homebrew) or Emunand to support exFAT.
You have the freedom to also benefit from what's actually being offered (Hekate on fw 5.x). So I say give it some time and you might be pleasantly surprised.

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd advice you not to update just yet. Atmosphere is around the corner and once it gets released you can make your decision based on available options. My guess is a tool will surface that'll let you patch Sysnand (automatically in the form of a payload or homebrew) or Emunand to support exFAT.
You have the freedom to also benefit from what's actually being offered (Hekate on fw 5.x). So I say give it some time and you might be pleasantly surprised.
But we already do...? Unless you're saying these don't count:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-install-the-exfat-driver-without-updating-2-x.505176/
https://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-...tch-console-on-any-ofw-without-update.505182/

Zumoly

GBATemp Analyst
Trophies
XP
Country
Mali

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes I am aware of these methods.
But like I said the process could be automated, simplified and made more user friendly for those not willing to manually change their System.
Ah OK, just wanted to make sure. Carry on then.

P.S. Atmosphere currently doesn't have exFAT support implemented yet.

Kubas_inko

"Something funny goes here."
Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
1. Files on the Switch are splited to 4gb files no matter what format you use.
2. Speed difference is about 10%, so nothing major here.
3. That's why we want EmuNAND.
4. Official updates also modifie SysNAND.
5. You probably mean coldboot. For which (as SciresM nicely said) "you are fucked" if you are above 3.0.2.

Insane

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Can somebody explain to me, why we would want the exFat update in sysnand when Atmosphere will include emunand and we can install the latest update to emunand? Will you be needing exFat on sysnand?

Zumoly

GBATemp Analyst
Trophies
XP
Country
Mali
Can somebody explain to me, why we would want the exFat update in sysnand when Atmosphere will include emunand and we can install the latest update to emunand? Will you be needing exFat on sysnand?

Actually my guess is: For you to actually use exFAT in Emunand you'd have to boot an SD card formatted as exFAT in Sysnand first.

Last edited by Zumoly,

Zumoly

GBATemp Analyst
Trophies
XP
Country
Mali
Definitely, but you don't need the exFAT update on SysNAND, for example when booting from rcm.

I mean if the premise is that Emunand replicates Sysnand and you want exFAT on it, you definitely need to make it happen on Sysnand first right!?
Can you use an exFAT card in RCM to boot Emunand without the exFAT update though?:unsure:

Kubas_inko

Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
I mean if the premise is that Emunand replicates Sysnand and you want exFAT on it, you definitely need to make it happen on Sysnand first right!?
Can you use an exFAT card in RCM to boot Emunand without the exFAT update though?:unsure:
Idk if it is out, but you can definitely make a payload, which reads exFAT SD card.

Last edited by Kubas_inko,

MonMonz

Trophies
XP
Country
Egypt
Lets say emunand replicates the sysnand so it will be on same virsion with fat32..then we update our emunand to the latest insert our exfat sd card to trigger the exfat update and now we have 5.1 emunand with exfat included

Last edited by MonMonz,

Zumoly

GBATemp Analyst
Trophies
XP
Country
Mali
Lets say emunand replicates the sysnand so it will be on same virsion with fat32..then we update our emunand to the latest insert our exfat sd card to trigger the exfat update and now we have 5.1 emunand with exfat included

How will you do that when we know the very SD card you will be using will also be the same where the system is at? Removing or formatting that SD card will make your Emunand crash.

MonMonz

Trophies
XP
Country
Egypt
How will you do that when we know the very SD card you will be using will also be the same where the system is at? Removing or formatting that SD card will make your Emunand crash.
didnt think of that!
Damn it i dont wanna lnstall the exfat manually to my 2.1 system..

MonMonz

Trophies
XP
Country
Egypt
Your best bet is to wait for an automated tool (payload or homebrew) to surface.
Here a thought..can't we take out sd card..merge the splitted emunand files format sd to exfat put the merged emunand on the exfat sd card put it back to the switch it will triger the exfat update..then update the emunand to the latest with the exfat support included

Last edited by MonMonz,

Zumoly

GBATemp Analyst
Trophies
XP
Country
Mali
Here a thought..can't we take out sd card..merge the splitted emunand files format sd to exfat put the merged emunand on the exfat sd card put it back to the switch it will triger the exfat update..then update the emunand to the latest with the exfat support included

Well this is the same as manually installing it on your 2.1 system so it might work.
However the real question is: can we run stuff from an exFAT SD card in RCM without updating the exFAT support in the Sysnand? If so you're good to go.^_^

MonMonz

Trophies
XP
Country
Egypt
Well this is the same as manually installing it on your 2.1 system so it might work.
However the real question is: can we run stuff from an exFAT SD card in RCM without updating the exFAT support in the Sysnand? If so you're good to go.^_^
I geuss we should wait then for someone with the knowledge to figuer it out then and make some test for us

Kubas_inko

Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
I geuss we should wait then for someone with the knowledge to figuer it out then and make some test for us
Definitely, because RCM is independent of everything (does not depend on anything? You get the point :P).

Last edited by Kubas_inko,
Reactions: Zumoly

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: What.