Hacking info needed on wii drive

steveroo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
my red, version 4.3 wii has been soft modded using a wiihacks.com guide and works perfectly.
i want to trade my red wii for a white wii, for its dvd drive which load dvds, and backed up gamecube games.

Do all white wiis play dvds and dvdr gamecubes? Is there a model that I should watch out for?
does the older white wiis function as well as the new 4.3 wiis? i.e. loading my hard drive that is filled with backed up games that have been used on the 4.3 model

Burton

Real Life VIP and Educator
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I'm going to be a little more specific. In terms of softmodding a white Wii might work the same as the red one however if your motivation for acquiring a white Wii is for the drive then you should know that not all White wiis play dvd-r backups. Since mid 2008 newer wiis came with a drive called d3-2 that prevented playing from dvd-r backups. To know if maybe(a big maybe) the white Wii might play the dvd-r you should look into that Wii serial number. This link might help http://www.wiidrives.com/list
If there is any chance for you to test the White Wii before making the trade will be better!

DeadlyFoez

XFlak Fanboy
Banned
Trophies
Website
DeadlyFoez.zzl.org
XP
Country
United States
Not all white wii's have drives that can read burned discs, only the older wiis. So you would be gambling on it if you traded your wii in for another one. You are best off just to change the logic board on the drive.

steveroo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Correct me if i'm wrong.
All that is needed to to know if the drive is playable of dvdrs is the version number and serial/model number found under the wii?

Thanks everyone for your quick responses.

steveroo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I love my red wii and I'm now thinking about changing drives. A video on youtube made swapping drives look extremely easy to do.

Is the dms d2c drive all that is required for my wii to play dvdrs?

would this drive work on my wii?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DVD-ROM-Drive-Wii-NEW-D2A-/160592478813?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_2&hash=item25640ec25d
my serial is LU92251564

DeadlyFoez

XFlak Fanboy
Banned
Trophies
Website
DeadlyFoez.zzl.org
XP
Country
United States
It is extremely easy to do. It shouldn't take any longer than 5 minutes. Yes, that drive will work, but it is cheaper to buy just the logic board instead of the whole drive.As long as you can solder 3 simple wires then you can swap the logic board easily.

steveroo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm confused. I thought the red 4.3 wiis cannot play any dvdrs.

If I decided to go ahead with a change of logic boards, I can play dvdrs on my red wii?

Lucif3r

Trophies
XP
Country
Yes.
The only difference between a Wii that can play backup discs and a Wii that cant, is the dvd logic board.

Also, theres 4 wires that needs to be soldered. They are relatively big and sit by themselves, so its hard to mess it up.

steveroo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

steveroo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The new board I bought is larger than the original board on my wii, and looks different. My connecting wires fit in to the new slots but the large brown connecting slot is wider than the original.

is this normal? do I need to change my optical drive laser as well?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Mondooooo @ Mondooooo: Just started God of War 2 on the PS2