[Info] eMMChax/bootloaderhax

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Dartz150, Apr 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dartz150
    OP

Dartz150 GBATemp Official Lolicon Onii-chan™

May 5, 2010
    Mexico
    On a Strange Journey
    So, acording to some resources and reads I was taking last nights, I came into this posibility, but I need to know what can be done atm.

The 3DS unique console key is based on a hardware chip known as the eMMc, and acording to this there is a posibility to do something interesting with that information.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

2. yifan_lu

yifan_lu @yifanlu

Apr 28, 2007
    United States
    Where did you get that crazy idea?

3. Dartz150
    OP

May 5, 2010
    Mexico
    On a Strange Journey
    Well, I was reading something on the XDA forums that had to do with that article linked, a little flaw the Bootloader has on some devices.

I know I'm wrong, so... I only want answers.

4. shinji257

shinji257 61396C68206D61737465722072616365 :3

Apr 9, 2007
    United States
    That won't work since the architecture is quite a bit different on a 3DS than on a cell phone...

5. yifan_lu

yifan_lu @yifanlu

Apr 28, 2007
    United States
    The IV is generated from the CID (potentially changeable with that hack). The key is the same across all 3ds.

In THEORY this MIGHT be possible: take a hacked 3DS and get an encrypted dump and the CID. Flash the CID onto an unhackable 3DS. Then flash the encrypted NAND dump. You might have just duplicated the original 3DS with a vulnerable fw. Maybe.

I've talked about this theory before--I haven't tested and someone more knowledgable may chime in about why it might not work. Right now every 3DS on latest FW is downgradable and hackable so it's pretty pointless. However, this might become interesting when nintendo fixes the exploits in a newer fw. However, this "hack" would require soldering and maybe hardware (like a RPI).

EDIT: An orthogonal hack: if we ever dump bootrom9 and the KeyX for the various nand partitions, then we may be able to do this even without a CID write hack.

Last edited by yifan_lu, Apr 9, 2016
    peteruk and Dartz150 like this.
  6. solsolis

solsolis GBAtemp Regular

Jan 9, 2016
    United States
    Outrealm
    If I'm not mistaken the samdunk thing affects bootloaders that are stored on the eMMC, where as the 3ds has the bootloader stored in silicon. Also the mentioned vulnerability abuses mechanisms in Samsung's bootloader implementation (which I think is a modification of little kernel?). In summary it's not useful.

7. Dartz150
    OP

May 5, 2010
    Mexico
    On a Strange Journey
    As always, thank you, this was the type of answer I was expecting, specially from you.

This could lead to, maaaybe, unbrick dead 3DS's.
    The main problem seems to be on how to dump the CID, on the article I linked above they used tools already provided by Samsung itself by mistake, the only way I can think of is the risky hardware method...

Yet, is not really known if that'll work.

8. yifan_lu

yifan_lu @yifanlu

Apr 28, 2007
    United States
    That's all easy to do. Just connect the eMMC pinouts to a raspberry pi and you can read the CID and run those vendor commands and stuff.

Dartz150 likes this.
  9. solsolis

solsolis GBAtemp Regular

Jan 9, 2016
    United States
    Outrealm
    That actually seems like a much more practical idea than what I was getting from the OPs question.

10. yifan_lu

yifan_lu @yifanlu

Apr 28, 2007
    United States
    Okay so I thought of some limitations:
    1) Sector 0x96 (the keystore) cannot be transferred--even if encrypted since the key comes from the OTP and not the eMMC CID. So you need to replace the encrypted sector 0x96 with your original one.
    2) More importantly, there might be keys used later in the boot process (such as the tickets.db MAC key) that /might/ depend on keys generated from the OTP. That means the console may not boot. However, there might be a way around this...

EDIT: Okay we can shut this down. yellows8 tells me that the CID is used in the IV but KeyX is also console-unique (and not based on the CID). So in short, it won't work.

Last edited by yifan_lu, Apr 9, 2016
    Dartz150 likes this.
  11. SonyUSA

SonyUSA We're all mad here

pip Contributor
    May 12, 2006
    United States
    Locked~

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.