Hacking [In-Progress] Fate/Extra CCC Translation Project

kaikaiser

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Very nice. You guy are awesome for doing this. This game should be Translated. The first was amazing, this one is sooooo much better

Reactions: Shinon

Lycan911

wolf boi
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
So this is still going on?
QV7cEry.png

Reactions: mdtank

acedia

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But even if they finish translating the game, is it worth it if it isn't a quality translation?

Isn't this the guy who said, 'I don't care if your Japanese is actually any good; we need whatever help we can get' when recruiting translators for this project? If he's drawing from the Tsuki no Ura translation, then I can assure you that there are some serious mistranslations all the way to the most recent entries, and they aren't the kind of errors that are obvious just from reading the English.

And what I've seen of their translation of that Umineko fighting game has an almost slavish devotion to translating the だろうs and でしょうs and maintaining the original punctuation even when it results in dialogue that reads as awkward and obviously translated. So I'm just a bit worried that one of my favorite games is gonna get a very high profile but not exactly high quality release in English.

Lycan911

wolf boi
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
But even if they finish translating the game, is it worth it if it isn't a quality translation?

Isn't this the guy who said, 'I don't care if your Japanese is actually any good; we need whatever help we can get' when recruiting translators for this project? If he's drawing from the Tsuki no Ura translation, then I can assure you that there are some serious mistranslations all the way to the most recent entries, and they aren't the kind of errors that are obvious just from reading the English.

And what I've seen of their translation of that Umineko fighting game has an almost slavish devotion to translating the だろうs and でしょうs and maintaining the original punctuation even when it results in dialogue that reads as awkward and obviously translated. So I'm just a bit worried that one of my favorite games is gonna get a very high profile but not exactly high quality release in English.
There will most likely be proofreaders which will westernize the script before release. I doubt they'll just slap the literal translations in the final release, it'd be the same as using google translate.

acedia

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A westernized script is not the same as a correct script.

Type-Moon has always been a hotbed of bad translations, from Claudia Ortensia's 'No, I love you' in Heaven's Feel to Shirou's infamous 'Just because you're correct doesn't mean you're right' in the recent UBW anime.

The script could be perfectly natural English and still be incorrect, and that's what I'm worried about most.

(And a literal translation is definitely not the same as Google Translate. One is actually coherent if a pain to read.)

Last edited by acedia,
D

Deleted User

Also, CJ shared on GAF:

"Also, since I feel like the OP took a shot at our team, CCC will happen in a reasonable time. We have two translators dedicated just to the project."
Really looking forward to it!

cj_iwakura

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

We're not drawing from the Tsuki translation. We're redoing it, and I will be personally editing everything once the translation is complete. Also, the translator I worked with on Ougon is not doing this, if that matters, but I'm of the opinion that Cckerberos did a stellar job, and you're the first person I've seen to voice a complaint. Well, no one commented much at all, but hey.

If you want to show me some examples of the translation, I can look into it.

Also, when I made that APB, I was a little desperate for extra help since the previous translator wanted to take their ball and go home. It worked out. I didn't want anyone to be dissuaded because 'I don't know Japanese that well' or what not, which I hear all the time.

Last edited by cj_iwakura,
Reactions: reinzhart

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FzVN9kIUNxw +1