Gaming In need of new wireless router

Hedgehogofchaos

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
My family is switching our ISP and previously our ISP provided our router. Now I need to buy one.
I really don't know much about routers and was hoping you guys could point me in the right direction.

I would like wireless n for sure, printer sharing would be very nice.
is there anything to really look for when buying a router? (keep in mind it will be used for a basic home network and the less expensive the better, but I'm willing to spend the amount of money I need to in order to get a good router)

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
First depending on the router it might be worth a look towards hacking it. Most ISP provided boxes are not locked down that well.

Secondly even if you can not hack it then you can almost always stick DSL modem if the ISP will send that (your ISP will usually sell a DSL modem for pocket change if not) and use the old router for everything else (wireless, wired and security). Only real note there is set one or the other to do DCHP or you will end up in a mess.

Wireless N- I will note that even in Canada speeds are probably only high enough to challenge wireless B let alone G and especially N. Similarly wireless N is fairly new (although it is not quite an official standard yet I doubt it will change) and will require changing network cards.
If you have internal networks then I say suck it up and run cable or use ethernet over powerline. Wireless is fine for surfing on the chair but I reckon anything that requires speeds like those N provides will not be fun when it drops out (looking at media streaming and gaming).

Back on topic for a home router there is not much that is truly necessary, some of the really cheap ones dislike torrents if you have connections set up in the hundreds (often a bad idea even on commercial/enterprise grade hardware, regular windows/SMB file sharing is just bandwidth rather than connections). I guess it remains to be asked what do you want to do
If you want to run a server then things change (port forwarding comes into play), available on just about everything but gets nicer the higher up you go.
If you want hardware firewalls and do not want to run a PC to do the job then that is another thing. Again basic functionality should exist in most things but if you want really nice stuff here you are going to need to spend a bit.
As a halfway house between firewalls and forwarding is highly configurable security- this is something special as some of the really nice stuff will allow highly tuned security (filter by mac, name and select how fast you want it to run) and other such things (QOS- you can tell your games to be looked at first over an email lookup).

Printer sharing is an odd one and I will ask you what you mean by it:
Easiest way is probably just to share it on a computer using SMB (right click- share printer) and go that way.
Some printers will be able to share themselves (usually higher end laser printers- your basic combo printer scanner you scored for $50 + cartridges less so) which is only a matter of a network port.
After this you have router level stuff (if you want to stick it in the USB port a router might have), most routers run on linux at some level and so will be limited somewhat here (cups is great if you have something that works but if not then yeah)- this is a minefield and I do not wish to call it without more info.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Hedgehogofchaos said:
So basically wireless N is garbage?
No, it's just faster than most home internet connections so for pure internet stuff it's not a requirement, though N does have bigger range than G, both devices (router and receiving device) need to support N for it to work.

Wireless-G is 22 megabits average throughput, that's 2.75 megabytes a second, I'm not sure if that'd be enough for HDTV.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Wireless b is probably sufficient for that (yes G will work) although for actual streaming from two presumably fixed points I would run some cable or at least strongly consider it.

Similarly if you are looking to spend some money/have some available network attached storage is always good and being new toy of the moment is actually pretty cheap (even cheaper if you buy a "caddy" and find your own drive). Wire it right and if you only have to punt stuff to the drive then wireless is fine (file transfer is far more accepting of connection dropout than a good chunk of streaming protocols).

@Rydian good to know thank you.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @E1ite007, I just found this randomly.